U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 06:33 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,261,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post

Now that is an opinion.

But again, all of that is besides the point. There's no reason to demolish anything downtown other than parking facilities, given the amount of available land there.
And so has most things everyone has said here is an opinion.

I'm a bit tired of people trying to ignore my points over having a lesson on what is or isn't opinion solely on what I say that they don't agree with when we are all making opinions here.

Your latter point I want to touch on though. (or do we need to have a sophomoric discussion that that point and fourthwarden's points are opinions too?)

It makes sense. You're taking a general thought to keep everything and work on filling everything up. I get it.

But the reason my opinions on this subject are far different is downtown is a big place. A few blocks from this location there is a alot of surface parking, however this immediate area there is only a tiny bit. This is the one central area many of the buildings first "skyscrapers" reside. Sometimes in large urban areas things are change on block by block basis. This area happens to be the historical section that is more filled in. Now bordering Centennial park several blocks away the situation rapidly changes.

The other thing your forgetting is the building needs rather expensive repairs. A decade ago they said it was $30-something million needed. They did some limited renovations and much of it is still needed.

So sometimes the choice of renovating a building, how much to renovate a building, or building a new on doesn't necessarily reflect or change the total amount of buildings that will exist in the end. It is a discussion of resources and worthiness.

In other words rebuild (relocating or not) is a choice of something to do rather than throwing $30 or $40+ million at a building. This is why the discussion turns towards the whether it is significant enough to preserve or not.

No one is arguing for more parking or fewer buildings, it is a discussion on the best use of funds for a central library and it is a discussion for best use of that prominent property in the city's unarguable historical core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 05:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,648,621 times
I

There is no way under the sun I'd prefer the second building to the first. I admit the inside pics look like they are desperately in need of a cleaning and renovation.

I was expecting to at least see some real marble and not just dirty carpet.

I am fond of libraries but have only been to locations in Cobb County and Sandy Springs so I don't have a horse in this race. If they are going to rebuild, I hope it doesn't turn out to look like some pre-fab lego land drama.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:18 AM

3,168 posts, read 3,035,692 times
Default Atlanta's Central Library..

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Get rid of that skanky parking lot behind the library and turn it into a plaza with proper landscaping. Then you'd be able to see the Breuer building at its best.

The plaza could contain an underground annex to the library, and it should be centered around an iconic sculpture or structure, like the Louvre.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7577...7i13312!8i6656

Now there's a great suggestion! I'm on board with that approach & for keeping the current library building & either improving it's functionality inside as a library or for re-purposing it for another use. But as for demolition.. no way..

Old 04-10-2016, 01:32 AM

631 posts, read 330,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Downtown is the cores business and tourist district. Plus the bums need to be displaced. When I first moved to Atlanta getting a library card was one of the first things I did, but going to that Library was the pits, especially the 4th Floor.The 5 floor had some great books, but you were not allowed to check them out. Some of that stuff on the 5th floor belongs in the High. You should be able to see the city from the inside and you cant. Even from the outside it doesnt look like a library. Its not glamorous enough to be Atlantas central Library. Atlanta has many hits and a few misses. The Central Library is a huge miss. I in vision 6 floor library on North Ave near Marta. The current library should be bulldozed and replaced with a nice Hotel. Midtown-Buckhead nice.
While I am a huge proponent of moving it near the North Ave. The city has to do something about Peachtree Pine first. It can't be a quasi-homeless shelter when they are out during the day.

Because of PP, that area has been a void for development, but it's central access to GT, Midtown/Downtown, highway, MARTA, would be a perfect place for Central Library and a likely boon to the city to help spur development.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:56 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
While I am a huge proponent of moving it near the North Ave. The city has to do something about Peachtree Pine first. It can't be a quasi-homeless shelter when they are out during the day.

Because of PP, that area has been a void for development, but it's central access to GT, Midtown/Downtown, highway, MARTA, would be a perfect place for Central Library and a likely boon to the city to help spur development.
I had PP in mind. I didn't forget about that place. I'm not sure what to do about that place.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:49 AM

28,137 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Quote:
Get rid of that skanky parking lot behind the library and turn it into a plaza with proper landscaping. Then you'd be able to see the Breuer building at its best.

The plaza could contain an underground annex to the library, and it should be centered around an iconic sculpture or structure, like the Louvre.

Sorry for the bad photoshopping but you get the idea.

Removing that terrible parking deck would make a huge difference in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:50 AM

9,915 posts, read 6,901,969 times
Agreed arjay.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,648,621 times
Quote:
Sorry for the bad photoshopping but you get the idea.

Removing that terrible parking deck would make a huge difference in my opinion.

I did not mean to sound like I was criticizing your pic.

This pic is fine, but maybe I don't understand the problem. I'd straight out say keep the library (renovate it for sure), but I don't get how removing the parking deck affects that. I mean if you just brought in a wrecking ball tomorrow and knocked it down, how would that help what it looks like inside that library?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 PM

20 posts, read 17,063 times
I would like to see the building current building improved to make it more inviting. It looks like they used to have a rooftop plaza that is no longer open to the public. That would be a nice attraction.

If there are offices along the edge of the building with windows they should consider removing those walls and opening that space to the public. Does anyone know if more windows could be revealed if they removed some of the office space?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:12 AM

22,166 posts, read 16,163,004 times
Quote:

Adding more greenery and creating a nice public space on the MARTA station entrance, library plaza and Mitchell Square would go a long way in complimenting the building and softening the exterior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or