U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:44 PM

8,270 posts, read 10,204,708 times

Advertisements

I will always support Kroger for one of the reasons already indicated: Many of the locations are 24 hour.

Kroger is there when I need them. I know it's not easy to maintain 24 hour operations, and I respect them for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 06:26 PM

1,113 posts, read 765,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I will always support Kroger for one of the reasons already indicated: Many of the locations are 24 hour.

Kroger is there when I need them. I know it's not easy to maintain 24 hour operations, and I respect them for that.
Funny... One of the many reasons I always support Publix is exactly the same: they're NOT open 24 hours a day. They don't expect their employees to work in the middle of the night, they close for major holidays so that their employees can be with their families, and they generally treat them very well. There's a reason that I have seen many of the same employees year in and year out at my favorite Publix store... They genuinely enjoy working there, from what I can tell. And happy employees make for a more pleasure-filled shopping experience, pun fully intended.

I respect your need for a 24 hour grocery store, but can't claim to need the same. There have been times when I have been thankful for a 24 hour pharmacy, and 24 gas stations, but I think I can count on one hand the number of times in my adult life I have actually shopped in a grocery store after hours, and even those times didn't represent a need... I just happened to be passing by and decided to grab some things.

To each his own!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:16 PM
bu2

9,896 posts, read 6,370,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
If we are redefining millennial as "white, upper-middle class+, college educated and privileged," maybe there is something here. Otherwise, most references to "Millennials" actually discount and leave out many, many Millennials.
When I go into a grocery store in the evening, that's what I see the most of-20, 30 somethings, probably upper-middle class.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:47 PM

2,860 posts, read 2,801,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
If we are redefining millennial as "white, upper-middle class+, college educated and privileged," maybe there is something here. Otherwise, most references to "Millennials" actually discount and leave out many, many Millennials.
I mostly agree with your post except I do not think "white" is a part of being upper middle class, college educated, and privileged.

In an ideal world, I'd have a vegetable garden in the back yard or at least shop with local farmers. That's not my reality and the more people push for density, it's even less likely to happen.
I think Whole Foods is overpriced on everything, but they have a very good selection of spices.

I like Trader Joe's for some things like nuts, olive oil, vinegar, yogurt, cheese, and wine.

I appreciate Kroger for being open 24 hrs at locations near me; if I had to run and grab something right now, at least I know they'd be open.

I like Publix because the staff seems nicer and the food seems fresher; their meat prices might make me a vegetarian though.

I have tried to like Aldi for years, but it just isn't going to happen.

Walmart is not a place where I'm going to get food unless they were giving it away free, but it would have to be non-perishable items.
Aside from occasional trips to a couple of farmer's markets that are no where near me, that's it.

Density, fresh food, and affordability will not mix. No matter what your generation, you probably want to get the most for your money at a level of quality you are able to accept. If you don't, no need to worry because you likely won't have money for long.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 AM

4,181 posts, read 4,845,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
These stores are stores...they aren't the products they sell.

Changing inventory isn't that big of a deal. Have you been to your local Kroger lately? I don't know if they all do this, but I can certainly say that the ones closest to my house have large organic sections.
kroger is my favourite out of all the major supermarkets because they offer such low prices alongside such a big selection. however i want to distinguish between buying "health conscious" products and "ethically conscious" products. i don't have any problem buying processed peanut butter if that's what it is; same with most of the processed foods with ingredients that aren't so great for you. to me that's personal preference as long as they're transparent about what's in it and how it was made. the problem i have is because our standards in the US are so low, you could unknowingly be buying a product that is funding slavery, or destroying the rainforest, or supporting some violent regime somewhere. it would be nice if major stores took stands and refused to stock products until they comply with basic humanitarian standards, but they don't want to rock the boat and upset their business too much, so they don't take the risk.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:20 AM

4,181 posts, read 4,845,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I mostly agree with your post except I do not think "white" is a part of being upper middle class, college educated, and privileged.
i mean, that's maybe a nice ideal in a perfect world, but race and class privilege are intertwined in this country. upper middle class, college-educated blacks are expected to essentially renounce their blackness and "act white" to gain respect, when the same identity-loss is not expected of whites. it's a terrible thing but it's a reality you can't deny.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:19 AM

2,860 posts, read 2,801,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i mean, that's maybe a nice ideal in a perfect world, but race and class privilege are intertwined in this country. upper middle class, college-educated blacks are expected to essentially renounce their blackness and "act white" to gain respect, when the same identity-loss is not expected of whites. it's a terrible thing but it's a reality you can't deny.
What does it even mean to act white?

No, it cannot be denied that the majority in quantity of upper middle class... in this country are white. That's because the majority of the population is white for now. It also cannot be denied that the majority in quantity of poor people are white (as often ignored like they aren't sucking up the greatest amount of welfare) is for the same reason.

I'll go along with some things like preference in music seem to be race based. However, it's all kind of fluid. I no longer want to cut the wires to the speakers of my neighbors who play mariachi or country music far too loud. Everyone can get a good song in now and then except Hindi.

I'm basically saying whatever is happening is not an act. Otherwise, I'd have to be concerned about how you think a black person normally behaves.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:29 AM

22 posts, read 17,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Careful there, your inner snob is showing
don't let me stop you from eating rotting fruit and poverty meat

Old 04-09-2016, 08:31 AM

22 posts, read 17,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
jfc libs using race-baiting tactics in threads about ****ing Kroger

Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 AM

3,132 posts, read 1,637,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Funny... One of the many reasons I always support Publix is exactly the same: they're NOT open 24 hours a day. They don't expect their employees to work in the middle of the night, they close for major holidays so that their employees can be with their families, and they generally treat them very well.

I respect your need for a 24 hour grocery store, but can't claim to need the same. There have been times when I have been thankful for a 24 hour pharmacy, and 24 gas stations, but I think I can count on one hand the number of times in my adult life I have actually shopped in a grocery store after hours, and even those times didn't represent a need... I just happened to be passing by and decided to grab some things.

To each his own!
Lots of people need to shop at weird hours including the middle of the night. Medical workers, firemen, factory workers, airline/airport employees, policemen, IT operations, the list goes on and on. I also know moms who shop at night after the kids are in bed and hubby is home because that's the only time they can spend the focused time on it without the extra burden of an infant or toddler in tow.

As for not expecting employees to work at night -- there are many employees who WANT to work at night. They might be in school or have other jobs and want to pick up the extra income overnight. And grocery stores are often running overnight anyway for stocking.

I do have mixed feelings about Kroger's quality though. It can really be hit or miss, and my local one often has dairy out that's too close to the expiration date.

A friend of mine said that Kroger opened a renovated store near DeKalb Industrial Way that is like a combo Kroger/Whole Foods/Farmers Market...she said it's awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta