U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 08:45 PM

4,591 posts, read 3,032,952 times

Advertisements

I was scanning around Google Maps earlier and came across this abandoned place in/south of Mableton on Bakers Ferry Rd. Looking at historical imagery, it looks like the place was abandoned in the 90s and a tall, arched fence was put up around the property. It appears to have been meticulously maintained until a few years ago, but it's now overgrown.

Google Maps

I have done a little bit of web searching, but can't figure out what it was. Just really peculiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:31 PM

45,381 posts, read 44,150,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I was scanning around Google Maps earlier and came across this abandoned place in/south of Mableton on Bakers Ferry Rd. Looking at historical imagery, it looks like the place was abandoned in the 90s and a tall, arched fence was put up around the property. It appears to have been meticulously maintained until a few years ago, but it's now overgrown.

Google Maps

I have done a little bit of web searching, but can't figure out what it was. Just really peculiar.
This isn't even in Cobb County, much less Mableton. This isn't that far away from Fulton Industrial Boulevard. Alot of places around those whereabouts are abandoned/overgrown, especially south of I-20.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:05 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,724,737 times
Uhh, is anybody else just seeing a house when they click the link?

Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 PM

5,551 posts, read 2,898,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Yes

Old 04-10-2016, 06:40 PM

7,073 posts, read 9,807,914 times
On the link to Google maps, the large property in the looped road is listed as Atlanta Youth Development Center. Googling that leads to a modern facility on Stonewall-Tell Road with a College Park address. So not this.

Googled Atlanta Youth Development Center Bakers Ferry Road and got this link. Looks like it is a closed branch of the AYDC named the Lorenzo Benn campus. Looks like the Georgia National Guard has (or had plans, this document is dated 2012) to redevelop the property. Here is the link I found.

http://ssl.doas.state.ga.us/PRSapp/b...0019154182.pdf

As someone has mentioned, this is not Mableton at all but unincorporated South Fulton County. Probably has an Atlanta postal address but not in the city limits.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This isn't even in Cobb County, much less Mableton. This isn't that far away from Fulton Industrial Boulevard. Alot of places around those whereabouts are abandoned/overgrown, especially south of I-20.
Sorry. I was searching around Mableton when I scrolled down far enough and saw this. I apologize for mis-attributing the location. And really...it's only about a mile outside both.

I am fully aware that there are abandoned places everywhere, but this was is pretty peculiar in how large it is, with some interesting-looking buildings, and how it was maintained for so long even though it was abandoned. The very tall, arched fence also caught my eye. Not normal.

Mostly, I was just curious at what it used to be since I couldn't find any info on it, and it seemed like the kind of place that would be well-documented by urban explorers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Weird. I've clicked the link several times, and it always took me to the satellite view of the location. 4500 Bakers Ferry Rd. will put you at the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
On the link to Google maps, the large property in the looped road is listed as Atlanta Youth Development Center. Googling that leads to a modern facility on Stonewall-Tell Road with a College Park address. So not this.

Googled Atlanta Youth Development Center Bakers Ferry Road and got this link. Looks like it is a closed branch of the AYDC named the Lorenzo Benn campus. Looks like the Georgia National Guard has (or had plans, this document is dated 2012) to redevelop the property. Here is the link I found.

http://ssl.doas.state.ga.us/PRSapp/b...0019154182.pdf

As someone has mentioned, this is not Mableton at all but unincorporated South Fulton County. Probably has an Atlanta postal address but not in the city limits.
Thanks for this. I had googled all sorts of combinations of Atlanta Youth Development Center and Bakers Ferry Road and "abandoned", but apparently not at the same time. I've found some more info since.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:30 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,174,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Sorry. I was searching around Mableton when I scrolled down far enough and saw this. I apologize for mis-attributing the location. And really...it's only about a mile outside both.
A lot of people draw a fairly bright line between Cobb and Fulton in that area because of the former presence of Bankhead Courts, which wasn't exactly known as a cheery place. People used to sing songs about it, apparently. :-\

Things go downhill fairly quickly once you cross the river into Fulton, or it seems that way from Veterans Memorial. I live just off Cooper Lake Road, and I don't really go east of the river at all. Even the few businesses along the road that used to be occupied (I think) are abandoned shells now.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 04-13-2016 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
A lot of people draw a fairly bright line between Cobb and Fulton in that area because of the former presence of Bankhead Courts, which wasn't exactly known as a cheery place. People used to sing songs about it, apparently. :-\

Things go downhill fairly quickly once you cross the river into Fulton, or it seems that way from Veterans Memorial. I live just off Cooper Lake Road, and I don't really go east of the river at all. Even the few businesses along the road that used to be occupied (I think) are abandoned shells now.
Cool...we've been looking over in that area by Cooper Lake, but not sure yet. Yeah, definitely goes down hill down Veterans once you cross into Fulton!

Old Today, 02:58 PM

1 posts
Default I was a guest at 4525 Bakers Ferry Rd SW

I realize this is an old thread but I have been searching for this address for a long time. Back in the late 60's early 70's this was the Atlanta Youth Development Center for girls. I spent my 16th birthday as a guest of this fine establishment. At the time when you entered the gate there was a white building on the right that served as a greenhouse where girls were assigned duties. Further up the drive was cottage A and B. Further still was C Dorm which looked like something out of the middle ages. We all hated it, fortunately I was in A Cottage. There was also a cafeteria on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or