Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:19 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times

Advertisements

I never really go to downtown Lawrenceville because it's on the other side of I-85, and that means it's a bit of a hassle to get there.

But last night, we were looking for something new to do, so I figured why not check out the little downtown? I remember driving by it and seeing a couple places that looked like the might be cool.

We ended up eating at Local Republic. The space was pretty neat and I guarantee if I blindfolded anybody and took them there they would guess they were in Decatur or Inman Park (my wife compared it to Leon's. I thought it felt like West Midtown). I didn't even think of the name, but the server explained that 90% of the ingredients come from within a 100 mile radius. My wife said the chicken was the best she's had in recent memory, and I could definitely tell the shrimp in the shrimp & grits was fresh and not imported from Asia.

This is probably a better fit for the "suburbs are becoming increasingly sophisticated" thread, but I just wanted to share separately.

It was interesting because I actually enjoyed this experience MORE than dining out intown, because we parked right by the front door and didn't have to wait to be seated. But the great irony was that in order to get there, we DID drive by everything you might imagine (Outback, Chli's, Applebees, etc.).

I think that over the next 5-10 years, as a decent percentage of Millenials end up in the suburbs, we wil see this model flourish as they hold onto the things they loved about the city in their new homes. Anyway, downtown Lawrenceville was neater than I expected, you never really hear it mentioned. Incidentally, I think it's proximity on 316 between here and Athens may help keep it somewhat cool....our server explained he is in a band that plays around Atlanta and Athens, so I can see people living there that want to keep one foot in each scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

333 posts, read 387,992 times
I agree. We so enjoy this area. You may have just missed the free movie, Jurassic World, this past Friday on the Lawrenceville Lawn. Hope you come back soon and enjoy the free Summer Concert Series 2016 that kicks off May 27.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:38 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
I went one time with a friend to grab a few drinks. Drank on some rooftop. It's fairly nice, just small. Definitely doesn't compare to Marietta in size. Age definitely skewed younger than the sports bar that is actually close to us.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,080 times
Most of the towns in suburban Atlanta have similarly spruced up their downtowns and have good restaurants - Norcross, Acworth, Suwanee, Buford, etc.

And I agree about the parking. At all of these places it's a breeze to park, and that is so refreshing.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Great, now let's connect all the historic downtowns via the existing railroad lines.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:48 AM

847 posts, read 1,457,578 times
They have really done well with Downtown Lawrenceville. Downtown Suwanee is nice as well.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:18 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Downtown L-ville has a Universal Joint now, I noticed recently. I believe the only other U-Joint location is Oakhurst. Anyway yeah it's not nearly as big a deal as Downtown Marietta, but it iss a very walkable and dense and cool urban little area.

The best thing ever would be if there was a passenger train from Downtown Atlanta to Downtown Athens, via a stop in Downtown Lawrenceville which is right halfway between.

They've been talking about it forever, I wish they'd do it. Maybe stop in Tucker and Winder, too.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:01 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
Downtown L-ville has a Universal Joint now
Yeah, I noticed that too, forgot to mention it.

Does that mean people intown have to stop hanging out at the U-Joint now that it is a chain?

Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Why do people act like good food and bars can't exist outside of the 285? As if people in the suburbs can't cook.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 AM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Great, now let's connect all the historic downtowns via the existing railroad lines.

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta