Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:25 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

Added value to your property if the Beltline runs right behind your house = $$$$$

Lost value to your property if you lose a little bit of your backyard to make way for the Beltline = none.

Take your pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:28 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Beltline sues..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Ha. A decade ago ABI didn't even exist. You think they won't build at least as many miles of trail in the next 10 years (heck they already are under active construction to more than double the milage with the West Side Trail). It is really about to get going in the coming few years with transit funding coming in November and now being able to issue bonds (thanks to APS dispute being resolved). They already control 74% of the corridor including this section so I expect they are wanting to get this resolved so they can be ready to break ground in the next few years.

Wish I could take a large bet against you nay-sayers so that way I could watch you eat your words in person.

Exactly! And it may surprise a lot of folks to learn that much of the south beltline is actively under construction near Capitol View, West End & other south side Atlanta neighborhoods.
The construction progress on the right of way for the beltline is dramatically evident from the MARTA South Line trains if you know when & where to look out of the windows.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:57 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Quote:
The Beltline will be much more beneficial to the city as a whole than a few residents getting to take larger back yards from the old railway. Hopefully they win this case.
Well, the property owners paid X amount of money for X-sized lots. If the ABI wants to "buy" those slivers of land that's cool but it shouldn't just be handed to them for free.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:58 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Well, the property owners paid X amount of money for X-sized lots. If the ABI wants to "buy" those slivers of land that's cool but it shouldn't just be handed to them for free.
That is the issue, they homeowners expanded their X-sized lots because the they thought the land was vacant, but it was owned by NS, then a developer, then ABI.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
The issue here is that when the railway was abandoned/fell into disuse, many of the homeowners encroached onto the rail ROW thinking it would never be used again. It's likely that it's not their land at all.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:02 PM

687 posts, read 744,871 times
Quote:
Ha. A decade ago ABI didn't even exist. You think they won't build at least as many miles of trail in the next 10 years (heck they already are under active construction to more than double the milage with the West Side Trail). It is really about to get going in the coming few years with transit funding coming in November and now being able to issue bonds (thanks to APS dispute being resolved). They already control 74% of the corridor including this section so I expect they are wanting to get this resolved so they can be ready to break ground in the next few years.

Wish I could take a large bet against you nay-sayers so that way I could watch you eat your words in person.
I'm a huge proponent of the Beltline and would love it if it was all open for business by say 2020.

Sadly I don't believe even the Southside trail (Memorial/Grant Park/Summerhill) will open by then.....let alone the Ansley stretch (I'm sure they have stated many times as that particular portion being low priority).

Old 04-11-2016, 02:09 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Oh, I interpreted from the article that "property lines" were established boundaries on a deed, versus just arbitrary lines.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:11 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I'm a huge proponent of the Beltline and would love it if it was all open for business by say 2020.
Yes, but 4 years and 20 years is a big difference. It will probably not be done by 2020, but it will not be "decades" before they get to that section of the trail.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:13 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Oh, I interpreted from the article that "property lines" were established boundaries on a deed, versus just arbitrary lines.
"Property lines" are not as clear cut and well established as you portray. "Arbitrary lines" is a pretty fitting description.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It appears NS sold the property to a developer, who then sold it to ABI at 3X the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is the issue, they homeowners expanded their X-sized lots because the they thought the land was vacant, but it was owned by NS, then a developer, then ABI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The issue here is that when the railway was abandoned/fell into disuse, many of the homeowners encroached onto the rail ROW thinking it would never be used again. It's likely that it's not their land at all.
Which still doesn't mean they have the right to do as they please. Many railroad right of way and easement agreements are written (over 100 years ago, but still in force) such that the property reverts back to the owner upon abandonment or conversion to non-rail use. Unless you have the text of the original deeds to examine, you (or I) can not make a clear determination of what should or should not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta