Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 10:27 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
I decided to take the new job, need a change of pace and scenery, tired of sitting at home all day everyday, I want to get out in the city, get to know some people, plus I feel I will have a chance to grow faster at this company with it being a smaller company. I stay less than 10min (3 miles) from a Marta station, the company is growing which is why they are hiring so I guess that's a good sign.
Congratulations and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 12:48 AM

787 posts, read 968,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In your position, I would use the new job offer as leverage and ask for a $15k raise (that's how I roll lol).

I would also bring up the fact that you are paid less than your qualifications/experience. If you like the place, I'd tell them that and how you would rather stay there, but that you need to think about your professional career goals and your personal finances and that with the recovering economy, you feel that what you are asking for is a fair offer.

I'd first ask for a meeting, I'd speak with them during the meeting about the above, and then I'd give them a re-cap of your major points in writing (have it in hand) at the end of the meeting. In my letter, I would state I would be resigning if my conditions were not met, but reiterate that I enjoyed the work for the current company and I'd hope they'd consider my request.

In regards to the new job, IMO it sounds like a good opportunity with room for growth. The free certifications IMO is a huge plus for them and the MARTA accessibility.

Good luck!

ETA: In regards to asking for more money than what the offer is paying, I have found that it is better to ask for more. That way, the company can negotiate down and think they are getting a deal when you reach the $10k more. FWIW, I have asked for $20k more at jobs before when I only wanted a $10k raise lol. It worked to get me the $10k raise.
Second thought I'm going to call my current employer Monday and ask them to up my offer by 15K, what do I have to loose.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:24 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Quote:
Second thought I'm going to call my current employer Monday and ask them to up my offer by 15K, what do I have to loose.
You seem quite undecided, still, if you can vacillate from taking a $10K, in-office job, to now asking for a $15K raise from your current employer that allows you to work from home. As someone else already mentioned, $10K is not that much more take-home pay after taxes and the expenses associated with commuting and working outside the home. I think you should try to find out what the pay grade is for your current job; the company should already have pre-determined pay bands / ranges for your role, though companies do not always share this information with employees. Find out where you are within that range; you may discover that a $15K hike is not even possible within the scope of your current position.

Is the offered job equivalent to your current role? If not, what is the closest role at your current company? Instead of just arbitrarily asking for a $15K raise in your current position, it might be wiser to angle for a promotion (high title) that comes with a raise (which may or may not be in the $10-$15K range) and greater growth potential long-term.

Based on your posts, I know you are married - not sure if you have kids - and you're in the market for a house in an area where home prices are rising pretty fast. I know it sounds good, on the surface, to just go for more money, but make sure you are being strategic and thinking long term. For example, in the event you and your wife have a child in the future, having the flexibility to work from home with a company that does not question your ability to be productive or trusted to do so is HUGE (and can save you money later when it comes to childcare costs - or even when they are school-age, e.g. who stays home when the kids are sick without losing money or consuming PTO?

If you just need to get out of the house, you can do that without taking a traditional in-office job. I know it's easier said than done, but you could take steps to "force" yourself out more than you are now, I imagine.

Just some thoughts...

Old 04-16-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
You seem quite undecided, still, if you can vacillate from taking a $10K, in-office job, to now asking for a $15K raise from your current employer that allows you to work from home. As someone else already mentioned, $10K is not that much more take-home pay after taxes and the expenses associated with commuting and working outside the home. I think you should try to find out what the pay grade is for your current job; the company should already have pre-determined pay bands / ranges for your role, though companies do not always share this information with employees. Find out where you are within that range; you may discover that a $15K hike is not even possible within the scope of your current position.

Is the offered job equivalent to your current role? If not, what is the closest role at your current company? Instead of just arbitrarily asking for a $15K raise in your current position, it might be wiser to angle for a promotion (high title) that comes with a raise (which may or may not be in the $10-$15K range) and greater growth potential long-term.

Based on your posts, I know you are married - not sure if you have kids - and you're in the market for a house in an area where home prices are rising pretty fast. I know it sounds good, on the surface, to just go for more money, but make sure you are being strategic and thinking long term. For example, in the event you and your wife have a child in the future, having the flexibility to work from home with a company that does not question your ability to be productive or trusted to do so is HUGE (and can save you money later when it comes to childcare costs - or even when they are school-age, e.g. who stays home when the kids are sick without losing money or consuming PTO?

If you just need to get out of the house, you can do that without taking a traditional in-office job. I know it's easier said than done, but you could take steps to "force" yourself out more than you are now, I imagine.

Just some thoughts...
I actually just got switched to a new position at my job, from a backup admin to a enterprise storage admin and didn't receive any type of raise. At this new company I feel I have a better chance to advance faster, again it will take me two years (if I'm lucky) at my current job to get a 10k raise, I'm not trying to wait that long for that. They are low balling me severely (40k as a storage admin!) and I'm pissed about it, just feel that I should give them a chance to outbid my offer before I up and leave.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I actually just got switched to a new position at my job, from a backup admin to a enterprise storage admin and didn't receive any type of raise. At this new company I feel I have a better chance to advance faster, again it will take me two years (if I'm lucky) at my current job to get a 10k raise, I'm not trying to wait that long for that. They are low balling me severely (40k as a storage admin!) and I'm pissed about it, just feel that I should give them a chance to outbid my offer before I up and leave.
Why was your position changed at your current job? Was it considered a promotion, and did you not lobby for a raise at that time?

You mention the new potential employer is a small company. Based on my experience, small companies tend to be more insular with fewer development and promotional opportunities. Are you familiar with the career path of some of the employees currently there?

Georgia low balls on salaries horrendously. You could probably make more money in Charlotte, Louisville or Nashville.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:49 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
I just received a job offer from a IT consulting firm in midtown, I currently have a job in which I've been employed over two years and work from home.
The new job pays about 10K more a year but the position & job title isn't as good as my current position but it will take me two years (if I'm lucky) to reach the new job salary with its modest annual raises, plus I already know I'm getting low balled.

I'm thinking about speaking with my current HR manager tomorrow and asking them if they can match my new job offer salary so I can keep my current position but make more money (it doesn't have to be immediate but some time in the next few months.) How likely is my current job to consider this offer? Should I even bother asking?
What is your IT skill set? If it's anything in security I can't see them letting you leave.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:06 AM

[quote=hautemomma;43739827]Why was your position changed at your current job? Was it considered a promotion, and did you not lobby for a raise at that time?

You mention the new potential employer is a small company. Based on my experience, small companies tend to be more insular with fewer development and promotional opportunities. Are you familiar with the career path of some of the employees currently there?

Georgia low balls on salaries horrendously. You could probably make more money in Charlotte, Louisville or Nashville.[/QUOTE

Promotion or not salary way too low for an enterprise storage admin. When I say smaller company it's the type where you get promoted or moved to a new position fast if you stay around for a couple of years and get certs. I'm a Georgia boy born and raised, lived in Ohio for over a decade just getting back here a couple years ago, family getting older and I love Atlanta I'll be staying right here, I'm one of the few who doesn't move away for money.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:57 AM

[/QUOTE

Promotion or not salary way too low for an enterprise storage admin. When I say smaller company it's the type where you get promoted or moved to a new position fast if you stay around for a couple of years and get certs. I'm a Georgia boy born and raised, lived in Ohio for over a decade just getting back here a couple years ago, family getting older and I love Atlanta I'll be staying right here, I'm one of the few who doesn't move away for money.[/quote]

Well, then it seems like you've made your decision. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
[/QUOTE

Promotion or not salary way too low for an enterprise storage admin. When I say smaller company it's the type where you get promoted or moved to a new position fast if you stay around for a couple of years and get certs. I'm a Georgia boy born and raised, lived in Ohio for over a decade just getting back here a couple years ago, family getting older and I love Atlanta I'll be staying right here, I'm one of the few who doesn't move away for money.

Well, then it seems like you've made your decision. Good luck![/quote]

I have unless my current job offers at least 5K over my offer, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta