U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:09 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,543,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am not singling out a player to place blame. I have followed the Falcons and other teams in the NFC South Division. I have seen Ryan play over many seasons. Even with a good offense, he has become a mediocre quarterback. He is what he is.
He was rated one of the top 5 QBs in the league for at least a couple of seasons. I don't call that mediocre, but maybe you have a different scale. He hasn't had a good offense for the past 2 seasons, so we'll have to see if he does this year and how he handles it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 02:12 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,292,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
It's not that Ryan is a bad QB, it's that he's not great. He'll give you a 12-win season no problem, but he'll also prevent you from getting to the Super Bowl. That's why I just don't see the point. We've had him long enough now to know what his upper limits are; it's not like he's going to grow into greatness. He'll have his best moments, but it's very inconsistent. If the point is winning it all, which it should be, then you can't accept a mediocre to pretty good quarterback, unless every other aspect of the team is excellent.
Yep. The only way we can win a championship with Ryan is if we had great defense like the Ravens used to be and I dont see that coming. I believe Forsyth County will approve MARTA before we have great defense

Old 08-30-2016, 02:13 PM

19,400 posts, read 17,119,654 times
Quote:
It's not that Ryan is a bad QB, it's that he's not great. He'll give you a 12-win season no problem, but he'll also prevent you from getting to the Super Bowl. That's why I just don't see the point. We've had him long enough now to know what his upper limits are; it's not like he's going to grow into greatness. He'll have his best moments, but it's very inconsistent. If the point is winning it all, which it should be, then you can't accept a mediocre to pretty good quarterback, unless every other aspect of the team is excellent.
Ryan has played on two 13-3 teams, the last being the 2012 season.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Again, if you think you can pin getting to the Super Bowl on one player then I'm not sure what to tell you. Teams have made it that far on much worse QBs than Matt Ryan...his success is completely tied to the team around him. The best Ryan teams over the past few years didn't make it to the Super Bowl, that's true...but to blame it all on his deficiencies is just wrong.
Ryan is not the only member of the Falcons with deficiencies.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
He was rated one of the top 5 QBs in the league for at least a couple of seasons. I don't call that mediocre, but maybe you have a different scale. He hasn't had a good offense for the past 2 seasons, so we'll have to see if he does this year and how he handles it.
There are the scale that rates quarterbacks on popularity and the scale that ranks quarterbacks on how well they play the game. I guess Ryan ranks high on the scale of quarterbacks by popularity. He has not registered highly on the scale of quarterbacks that play well.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:32 PM

5,942 posts, read 2,909,809 times
Quote:
Again, if you think you can pin getting to the Super Bowl on one player then I'm not sure what to tell you. Teams have made it that far on much worse QBs than Matt Ryan...his success is completely tied to the team around him. The best Ryan teams over the past few years didn't make it to the Super Bowl, that's true...but to blame it all on his deficiencies is just wrong.
I'm not. Of course not blaming it all on him, but I also think he needs to go, if we're looking at trying to succeed in the playoffs.

I said he is deficient, which you admit. And I said that would be OK if the rest of the team was excellent, which you agree.

The problem is, the other aspects of the team are not all excellent. We don't have a Julio Jones at every position, offense and defense.

I don't think Russell Wilson is any better than Matt Ryan. But basically all Seattle had him do was hand the ball off, and throw it sometimes, and they won a Super Bowl because the team was excellent.

Since we don't have that luxury of an excellent team in all areas, we should be looking to upgrade at QB.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:52 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,543,265 times
Quote:
I'm not. Of course not blaming it all on him, but I also think he needs to go, if we're looking at trying to succeed in the playoffs.

I said he is deficient, which you admit. And I said that would be OK if the rest of the team was excellent, which you agree.

The problem is, the other aspects of the team are not all excellent. We don't have a Julio Jones at every position, offense and defense.

I don't think Russell Wilson is any better than Matt Ryan. But basically all Seattle had him do was hand the ball off, and throw it sometimes, and they won a Super Bowl because the team was excellent.

Since we don't have that luxury of an excellent team in all areas, we should be looking to upgrade at QB.
I don't think we can say for sure that he's deficient until the season is played out. He's 31, not exactly over the hill, and could easily have a couple of great seasons left in him. Either way he's the Falcon's QB for 2016-17 so I'm hoping for the best.

I'm not sure upgrading the QB would have any effect on the overall outcome...maybe, but again we'll have to play the season and see what happens.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:56 PM

5,942 posts, read 2,909,809 times
Quote:
I don't think we can say for sure that he's deficient until the season is played out. He's 31, not exactly over the hill, and could easily have a couple of great seasons left in him. Either way he's the Falcon's QB for 2016-17 so I'm hoping for the best.

I'm not sure upgrading the QB would have any effect on the overall outcome...maybe, but again we'll have to play the season and see what happens.
Well, his contract is thru the end of 2018 season:

Matt Ryan Contract Details, Salary Cap Breakdowns, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Probably he's playing 3 more seasons with us regardless, and that's probably it. Unless we win a championship in the next 3 years, then maybe they'd look at re-signing.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:26 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,210,450 times
Quote:
You should know better than to blame it on one player. He has had little help around him the past two seasons as well as a subpar OL. Like I said, we will get to see how he performs this season and make judgments afterwards - I'm not big on judging someone's performance before they perform.
Ryan plays scared- that does not work in this league. Nothing left to say about him.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:33 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,292,047 times
They just barely won against the JAQUARS last night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta