Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 AM

371 posts, read 454,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I have no kids, and my subdivision (Stoneybrook) is in the little sliver of area which is just outside the Smyrna City Limits but zoned for their schools, so my location isn't typical.

I've heard good things about both Nickajack Elementary and Griffin Middle School from neighbors. Campbell HS I don't know a lot about.

Most of Mableton is zoned for other schools.
I've also heard good things about Nickajack and Griffin. I'm a Campbell HS alumni, and let's just say that I would not have gone there if I hadn't been in the IB program. However, I do think that Campbell HS will improve in the future due to all the new residents moving to Smyrna (red hot!) & the high performing elementary schools.
I suppose I was curious about the schools a bit farther out in Mableton in the Pebblebrook cluster.
Anywho, OP should certainly consider Mableton for its diversity, schools (if in Nickajack/Griffin area), and access to ATL... depending on where OP's husband will be working. Mableton is currently more affordable than Smyrna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 07:51 AM

371 posts, read 454,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
Were did i say Georgia is a city?

Nation’s report card, Georgia test scores low | AJC Latest News

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

And check the top universities,NONE of them are from georgia their either from california or texas.You georgians are defintely ignortant,I meandude remeber Georgia,Alabama,Mississippi are the 3 bibilical states.History shows georgia is racist if you gonna talk bad about texas please do your research.
Why did you move here if you are so unhappy with Georgia? I don't know how you can accuse anyone else of being racist when you yourself said "a black mayor like kasim reed is angry and is only bring destruction". In fact, looking at all your posts in various threads, you're just full of racist comments.
I'm upset with myself for even responding to you but it needs to be said. It's not right for you to spread misinformation in this thread, or in any others. I'm sure there are janitor jobs in Texas, buddy. You don't have to stay in Georgia.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 7,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwali2009 View Post
"The term "Bible Belt" is a colloquialism used primarily by outsiders to describe a number of areas, especially in the Southern US, where religion, specifically Christianity, is given greater importance in daily life than is typical in other areas of the country. There is no universal definition of the "Bible Belt". However, the term is usually used to describe areas of the following states: Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky and usually North Carolina as well."

Certiain states in the midwest are considered bible belt,so what is your point?The HEART(pay attention)of the bible belt states are southeastern states and Georgia(your lovely home state) was the MAIN one,I mean i know georgia's history is awful but are you really that ignortant and denying facts?? And please quote were I said Georgia was a city,please copy and paste where I said that.And yes texas education system is awful,yet YOUR governor(Governor Nathan Deal) is modeling the education system based on Texas'education system been reading the ajc lately?The new head chief of the atlanta public schools is from Texas,as Governor Nathan Deal has been looking to hire educational teachers FROM out state.

Map: Georgia's failing schools | www.myajc.com

"
Gov. Nathan Deal has proposed the state take over struggling schools similar to the Recovery School District in Louisiana. Under Deal’s proposal, the state would have final say over schools put into the district and could fire principals, transfer teachers and change the curriculum. Here is a map of schools that would be eligible for the new program. "

Austin school Superintendent Meria Carstarphen leaving for... | www.statesman.com

They hired a TEXAN native,remeber the atlanta school cheating scandal?The students were sooo dumb in atlanta(a city in georgia)the teachers HAD to cheat for the kids,come on dude your state is pathetic and is behind in times just accept it,I have FACTS!

"http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

"Many different places try to claim to be the "buckle of the Bible Belt," usually intended to mean the most fundamentalist part. Kentucky, southern Ohio, Georgia, and the Florida Panhandle are often considered contenders. "
Georgia is hillbilly but its still a good place to live though I was just saying its diversity is not like other cities(well atleast compare to other metro cities). Dude you are such a idiot, you can't even remember or comprehend what you wrote. It's funny that the place your trying to diss, but failing miserably is where you chose to stay. The comments you made about the students being dumb in the city was so low, and for that reason I'm giving you donkey of the day. Dude you are pathetic, and your actions shows why Texas is backwood and way behind times. Just stop with your copied in paste articles, and move back to Texas since Georgia is so hillbilly, seriously why are you still here?

Old 04-29-2016, 10:34 AM

459 posts, read 471,252 times
I was just in Chicago and Gurnee this week and you DO NOT want to move to Atlanta. The people act like they have a chip on their shoulder and have a huge sense of entitlement. Compared to Chicago they drive like complete morons in Atlanta. The schools aren't good from what I have seen; although, they think they are. Football comes first before anything else. The six flags down in Georgia is a laughable joke compared to the one in Gurnee. Chicago kicks Atlanta's butt in every category except for warm weather in my opinion. I try to avoid Atlanta and it's people like the plague. If you are white you will be a minority in Atlanta. Except Emory, healthcare is horrible in Atlanta. You're going from a world class city like Chicago to a world class garbage dump called Atlanta. They also have a lot of ozone action days with a layer of smoke over Atlanta from April or May to October. If you need help you can forget it. They wouldn't even **** on me if I was on fire. Georgia has some of deadliest roads in the nation with a high unemployment rate with low ACT and SAT scores. I wouldn't wish Atlanta on my worst enemy. Property taxes and land values are low in that region for a reason. It's a garbage dump waste land.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:46 AM

560 posts, read 663,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
I was just in Chicago and Gurnee this week and you DO NOT want to move to Atlanta. The people act like they have a chip on their shoulder and have a huge sense of entitlement. Compared to Chicago they drive like complete morons in Atlanta. The schools aren't good from what I have seen; although, they think they are. Football comes first before anything else. The six flags down in Georgia is a laughable joke compared to the one in Gurnee. Chicago kicks Atlanta's butt in every category except for warm weather in my opinion. I try to avoid Atlanta and it's people like the plague. If you are white you will be a minority in Atlanta. Except Emory, healthcare is horrible in Atlanta. You're going from a world class city like Chicago to a world class garbage dump called Atlanta. They also have a lot of ozone action days with a layer of smoke over Atlanta from April or May to October. If you need help you can forget it. They wouldn't even **** on me if I was on fire. Georgia has some of deadliest roads in the nation with a high unemployment rate with low ACT and SAT scores. I wouldn't wish Atlanta on my worst enemy. Property taxes and land values are low in that region for a reason. It's a garbage dump waste land.
Really?

Metro Atlanta has cleaner air than Metro Chicago

Most Polluted Cities - American Lung Association | State of the Air 2015

Metro Atlanta has a lower unemployment rate than Metro Chicago.

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Metro Atlanta has a lower murder rate than Metro Chicago.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...decpdf/table-6

Georgia has higher ACT scores than Illinois.

http://blog.prepscholar.com/act-scor...highs-and-lows

There's reality... and, on the other side of the universe, there's your perception of things.

Last edited by paris-on-ponce; 04-29-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 AM

6,706 posts, read 6,411,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Really?

Metro Atlanta has cleaner air than Metro Chicago

Most Polluted Cities - American Lung Association | State of the Air 2015

Metro Atlanta has a lower unemployment rate than Metro Chicago.

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Metro Atlanta has a lower murder rate than Metro Chicago.

There's reality... and, on the other side of the universe, there's your perception of things.
You're wrong on the murder rate. You have to look at "per capita" statistics. Atlanta has a population of around 500,000 and Chicago has a population of nearly 3,000,000. Atlanta has a higher per capita murder rate and the media calls Chicago a war zone so where does that leave Atlanta?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...me_rate_(2014))

Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
You're wrong on the murder rate. You have to look at "per capita" statistics. Atlanta has a population of around 500,000 and Chicago has a population of nearly 3,000,000. Atlanta has a higher per capita murder rate and Chicago is called a war zone by the media so where does that leave Atlanta?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ime_rate_(2014)
Nope, I am not wrong.

I am looking at the murder rate by MSA.

Atlanta's MSA has a murder rate of 5.9 %

Chicago's MSA has a murder rate of 6.4 %

Again, I will link these FBI statistics...

Old 04-29-2016, 11:23 AM

6,706 posts, read 6,411,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Nope, I am not wrong.

I am looking at the murder rate by MSA.

Atlanta's MSA has a murder rate of 5.9 %

Chicago's MSA has a murder rate of 6.4 %

Again, I will link these FBI statistics...

ok, you're comparing Metro to Metro instead of City to City. Fair enough, the numbers are splitting hairs, but one could extrapolate that since Chicago is considered a war zone and Atlanta has a higher murder rate than Chicago, it's a good idea to say as far away from Atlanta as possible.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,758,124 times
FWIW, I think it is a horrible portrayal of Atlanta to the OP that so many posters are bickering about Houston and/or TX lol. Also that you are feeding troll posters or people who just want to speak negatively about the metro.

It's okay if you ignore people.

But I will note about this:

Quote:
ok, you're comparing Metro to Metro instead of City to City. Fair enough, the numbers are splitting hairs, but one could extrapolate that since Chicago is considered a war zone and Atlanta has a higher murder rate than Chicago, it's a good idea to say as far away from Atlanta as possible.
That is is always weird IMO that people speak about the city of Chicago and its murder rate in such a negative "war zone" like fashion, when it doesn't even have one of the highest murder rates in the country and the city of Atlanta actually does have a higher one than Chicago and NYC.

However, the OP is looking primarily for suburban communities so that is not much of a concern.

But people, don't feed the trolls.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Haha, the thing is Chicago isn't a war zone. That may be the media's perception of it but it isn't true. Which was exactly my point in responding to the other poster. There's perception and then there's reality.

And in the case of what that other poster wrote, every single one of their points was - not just wrong - but very, very easily falsifiable. It took approx 90 seconds on Google to disprove their perceptions about Atlanta and Georgia with statistics.

So many people might think Chicago is a war zone but that's not reality. And the reality is, Atlanta isn't a war zone either.

As for what residinghere2007 said about not 'feeding the trolls,' they're exactly right. If someone says, 'Atlanta sucks,' that's an asinine comment designed simply to rile people up and it should be ignored. However, if that someone says, 'Atlanta sucks because their unemployment is high and, therefore, Chicago is better,' well that is something that can be easily confirmed or disproven. And so I chose to disprove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta