Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times

Advertisements

So I remember being in a meeting when the issue of gypsy lots and parking was discussed. The Braves are trying to prevent the uncontrolled gypsy lots found around Turner Field, at STP because if a visitor is a victim of a crime they tie that crime to happening at a Braves game (not a gypsy lot) and therefore gives a bad image to the team. What the Braves people proposed in the meeting was to issue licenses or permits and using part of the money generated from those fees to pay for patrolling of the gypsy lots. The Braves people did acknowledge that gypsy lots would be a part of STP parking plan, as the stadium only provides 6000 spaces and is in neg. with other lots at private property. This takes the issues raised in the meetings to a whole other level that I am shocked at because I thought the permit and license was a reasonable idea.
And they say conservatives and republicans are for smaller government and less regulations.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:01 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So I remember being in a meeting when the issue of gypsy lots and parking was discussed. The Braves are trying to prevent the uncontrolled gypsy lots found around Turner Field, at STP because if a visitor is a victim of a crime they tie that crime to happening at a Braves game (not a gypsy lot) and therefore gives a bad image to the team. What the Braves people proposed in the meeting was to issue licenses or permits and using part of the money generated from those fees to pay for patrolling of the gypsy lots. The Braves people did acknowledge that gypsy lots would be a part of STP parking plan, as the stadium only provides 6000 spaces and is in neg. with other lots at private property. This takes the issues raised in the meetings to a whole other level that I am shocked at because I thought the permit and license was a reasonable idea.
And they say conservatives and republicans are for smaller government and less regulations.
Can't outlaw tailgating in your own lots in an effort to drive spending at your arts/entertainment district, then have it be be allowed in gypsy lots across the street.

Last edited by red92s; 06-30-2016 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 07:52 AM

561 posts, read 780,531 times
Wow. This STP boondoggle gets better and better. The Braves want ALL the parking revenue, period. I bet the "leases" they "negotiate" with some of these lot owners will be far less than what the owners could make leaving the Braves out of the picture.

Cobb is incredibly shady for even entertaining this let alone passing an ordinance on it. This is another revenue funnel that they gave directly to the Braves.

There are other ways to control gypsy lots and safety (the main reason given) that don't involve banning owners from profiting from their lots. This is clearly about the Braves monopolizing the parking revenue.

I bet that all of those owners within the half mile radius who appeal will be denied for some petty reason. But the Braves will be happy to "lease" those same lots from them for bottom dollar.

I feel bad for Cobb residents right now and am sure glad I'm not one.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Sounds like Cobb needs to go back to the drawing board with this ordinance.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM

770 posts, read 603,358 times
What BS, the Braves are such crooks its ridiculous and the Cobb board lets them do it freely.

If I own a lot near the stadium I say screw Cobb and the Braves and don't negotiate till this thing blows up in their face after it opens. Clearly trying to strong arm locals for the parking they lack and make money any way possible.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Tim Lee responds to critics.

You really can't blame the man for doing what he believed was right for Cobb.

If the shoe was on the other foot and the city had lured the Braves in from Cobb or some other place people would be doing backflips.

COBB CHAIRMAN LEE: I'D HAVE DONE NOTHING DIFFERENT TO LURE BRAVES

Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Tim Lee responds to critics.

You really can't blame the man for doing what he believed was right for Cobb.

If the shoe was on the other foot and the city had lured the Braves in from Cobb or some other place people would be doing backflips.

COBB CHAIRMAN LEE: I'D HAVE DONE NOTHING DIFFERENT TO LURE BRAVES
What's right for Cobb or what's profitable for him and a few developers?

Old 06-30-2016, 02:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You keep claiming this, but few in the city are thrilled about the new Benz stadium deal, and that is a much better deal for about half the tax dollars, all from hotels, for a much grander major-international-event-drawing stadium.

There is good reason Reed said the city cannot beat the amount of tax dollars Cobb is offering and let the team go. It is a really terrible deal for taxpayers and will not bring any net benefit to the area like other stadiums.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Braves expect ‘gypsy lots’ at SunTrust Park, plan to integrate into traffic management plan

Old 06-30-2016, 02:43 PM

Did they just contradict what the ordinance the County Commissioners just pass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta