Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times

Advertisements

But any success in Cumberland is the result of the Braves?

No. Cumberland was a leading market before this relocation. In fact they are getting much less development than their peers and even previously underperforming areas.

There is no magic or net benefit the Braves bring that will come close to offsetting the $400M in tax dollars being spent. Luckily it seems like Cobb voters might be wise to that.

Last edited by jsvh; 07-04-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-04-2016, 09:21 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

No. Cumberland was a leading market before this relocation. In fact they are getting much less development than their peers and even previously underperforming areas.

There is no magic or net benefit the Braves bring that will come close to offsetting the $400M in tax dollars being spent. Luckily it seems like Cobb voters might be wise to that.
But do you think that's from the Braves or other factors? I know you think PC is doing much better due to its rail access so which reason would you like to use today?

It'll benefit merchants and I doubt it'll keep that many offices from relocating (I think access to rail is more important) and there's very little residential development in the immediate vicinity. Bottom line it's not gonna be the next Summerhill.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:17 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:

No. Cumberland was a leading market before this relocating. In fact they are getting much less development than their peers and even previously underperforming area.

Seems like it is having a pretty positive impact. The stadiums has already generated a new five star hotel, a new corporate headquarters building, 1 million sf mixed use/entertainment area.

If all this had happened around Turner field people would be doing backflips.

Cumberland new home of the Atlanta Braves Suntrust Ball Park

Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,191 times
Quote:

The numbers prove you wrong already , hateful troll.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:01 PM

Other areas have much more development coming than what is going on around STP. While AFCS and Turner Field had hotels and other things built around the stadiums to support them just like STP is seeing now, they have not thrived over the decades as 80 days a year is not enough to do good business. Now that the Braves are leaving, the Turner Field area is seeing more development than it ever did while they were there.

While the Comcast office near STP might seem nice, lets not forget that the Braves move caused at least one Fortune 500 company to leave that area. Of course many other businesses that relocate away will not make it a big deal and talk about it to the press. Things will just quietly change over the coming decades to when people reflect back on the good old days when the Braves first moved there and Cumberland used to be such a thriving area.

whodean - Would you like to retort with yet another unfounded claim and insult? I guess that and Tim Lee's "$200B" means I was wrong and this all was a great idea. You should join Arjay at the new Braves oceanfront resort in Idaho. I hear the time-shares they are selling for $400M today are supposed to be worth $200B.

Last edited by jsvh; 07-04-2016 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 04:15 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Other areas have much more development coming than what is going on around STP. While AFCS and Turner Field had hotels and other things built around the stadiums to support them just like STP is seeing now, they have not thrived over the decades as 80 days a year is not enough to do good business. Now that the Braves are leaving, the Turner Field area is seeing more development than it ever did while they were there.
Again, Cumberland =/= Summerhill. Summerhill is a residential area that's close, but not in downtown. It's not a tourist attraction or a business destination. Cumberland area has many more hotels because it's an area that needs them with or without a stadium. The stadium will just help to boost business on occasion.
So far the Summerhill development appears to be mostly residential which isn't surprising at all. A noisy, busy neighbor is going away that had the potential to be bothersome every day of the week. Cumberland area isn't Smyrna or Vinings, it's not as concerned about residential development.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:34 PM

The stadium is not good for commercial or office development either.

Yes, there are other factors at play. Most having a larger influence than the stadium. Which is exactly why spending $400M tax dollars to steal it away is such a terrible idea.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:24 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I'd like to know when the city of Atlanta gave its taxpayers an opportunity to weigh in on the city's "decision" to "let the Braves go." We had a huge financial investment in the team and many of us feel an emotional attachment to the team as well.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd like to know when the city of Atlanta gave its taxpayers an opportunity to weigh in on the city's "decision" to "let the Braves go." We had a huge financial investment in the team and many of us feel an emotional attachment to the team as well.
How much more than $400M tax dollars should CoA have bid-up the Braves? I was very attached to the team too. But the Braves making this about the highest bidder is disgusting. This is not a move Ted Turner would have made. And since the Braves decided to break with Atlanta and turn blame upon the city and the people there, it forces a decsion about which you care about more: the Braves or Atlanta. My choice is Atlanta.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 PM

770 posts, read 603,671 times
Quote:
How much more than $400M tax dollars should CoA have bid-up the Braves? I was very attached to the team too. But the Braves making this about the highest bidder is disgusting. This is not a move Ted Turner would have made. And since the Braves decided to break with Atlanta and turn blame upon the city and the people there, it forces a decsion about which you care about more: the Braves or Atlanta. My choice is Atlanta.
This, and based on the stories we're hearing Liberty Media wasn't going to wait for an answer either probably, as they were strong-arming the highest bidder and wouldn't have likely waited for ATL to put it up for a vote.

Furthermore, if this was Arthur Blank or Ted Turner, maybe they'd consider talking and working out some agreement for the betterment of the city as a whole, but Liberty clearly hasn't wanted that at all, they aren't from ATL and have no ties here other than ownership, so why should the city bend over backwards and let their emotions and the public's emotion come into play in a rigged deal. Clearly, a wise decision for the betterment of the city as a whole, a city that still has serious blight in it's core and many more important needs to address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta