Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:26 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

I am somewhere in the middle on this. False modesty is silly, and a healthy viewpoint on what breasts are intended for is a good thing. I spent months shut away in another room when I nursed my babies, and I would feel freer now than then.

However, it is possible to nurse a baby without exposing yourself. I really feel as if some women want to make themselves the center of attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccatl View Post
it's crazy to me to see, presumably, a bunch of guys here saying that women shouldn't be breastfeeding in public because it makes you uncomfortable. You're basically saying, "i don't have a problem with breastfeeding, i just don't want to see it". What makes you so uncomfortable?

I'm a guy, with an infant at home, and my wife is his only source of food. It doesn't matter where we are, he needs to eat. And no, my wife will not lock herself in the house for the next year so that she doesn't make anybody uncomfortable while she feeds a baby. It is not like a guy walking around in a speedo - the male anatomy has a sole purpose for reproduction, and can therefore be sexualized. Same with all of your other examples - they are all sex related, not a need to survive. A females breast has been sexualized by society, but its true and natural purpose is to be able to feed a new life, and keep that baby fed regardless of food hardships the adults might be facing due to weather, disease, or other crop/meat failures. If you don't want to see a baby eating, then don't look. Nobody is forcing you to stare at a women feeding her baby while you eat. Do you need to stare at me while i eat my burger? If not, then i know you can choose where and where not to look. But a baby needs to eat, whether you like it or not, and you will not relegate a women or a child to a public bathroom stall so that a baby can eat, unless you yourself will take your plate of steak to the bathroom with you to eat as well. Luckily, we've been out and she's fed the baby without any problems for the last few months, but the second somebody comes to my table and makes a comment, there will be hell to pay. A bunch of prudes.
+1

Old 04-30-2016, 09:42 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am somewhere in the middle on this. False modesty is silly, and a healthy viewpoint on what breasts are intended for is a good thing. I spent months shut away in another room when I nursed my babies, and I would feel freer now than then.

However, it is possible to nurse a baby without exposing yourself. I really feel as if some women want to make themselves the center of attention.
I will clarify our situation as well. When breastfeeding in public, my wife does use a breathable cover. However, this is her choice, as she is uncomfortable with full exposure of herself in public, but will feed the baby in public. Some people have a problem with this as well, even though she is covered up. However, I do feel that it is up to the women actually breastfeeding if she wants to cover up or not. Some women choose to, and others don't mind exposing themselves while feeding a baby, and that is alright too. It should be her choice.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I agree with Joetarheel. For me it should be something that should be done in private in my opinion. A simple comparison that has nothing to do with this topic but it like a man with extremely large "body parts" walking around in public with a speedo on. Sure technically he has on "clothes"but is it appropriate out in public? Or a parant changing their kids diaper in public? Well everyone has to go right? Or a guy on MARTA passing gas loud on the train one after another. Sure its all natural and everyone does it but could he at least let it come out silently? What about a 90 year old man tongue kissing his 18 year old boyfriend in public and they are grabbing each other. Technically its ok because its love but does the average person want to see that in public? These examples fall in the grey area where technically its legal but it might not be right in public
Except feeding an infant isn't a "grey area," it's feeding an infant. Breastfeeding is hard, but it's undoubtably best for babies. Women shouldn't be shunned for doing it, or have to stop the rest of their lives.

If people would get over their hang ups, there wouldn't be those few "activist breastfeeders" that **** everybody off.

Y'all sound like the pearl-clutchers who were all aghast when the First Lady dared to reveal her bare arms

Old 04-30-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I hear what you are saying as a dad, and agree about the nutrition but please. You didn't sexualize your wife's breasts when dating and before you guys reproduced? You sound kind of on a high horse with your "by society" statement.
Yeah. We should all just cover up from head to toe.
Sorry for having female anatomy. My bad.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:52 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Huh?

Old 04-30-2016, 12:09 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
Quote:
Except feeding an infant isn't a "grey area," it's feeding an infant. Breastfeeding is hard, but it's undoubtably best for babies. Women shouldn't be shunned for doing it, or have to stop the rest of their lives.

If people would get over their hang ups, there wouldn't be those few "activist breastfeeders" that **** everybody off.

Y'all sound like the pearl-clutchers who were all aghast when the First Lady dared to reveal her bare arms
So are you ok with a 90 year old man tongue kissing a 18 year old boy in public?

Are you ok with a man wearing a speedo in public?

Old 04-30-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I hear what you are saying as a dad, and agree about the nutrition but please. You didn't sexualize your wife's breasts when dating and before you guys reproduced? You sound kind of on a high horse with your "by society" statement.
Quote:
Quote:
Huh?
Your posts sounds like you consider women's breasts to be "damaged goods" i.e. once they're viewed as sexual, you refuse to see them as anything else.

Any body part can be sexualized. If you are unable to view women's bodies without sexualizing them, then I suppose the solution would be to cover up women from head to toe, so that you are not tempted to sexualize them.

But, hello, guess what?? It's not OUR problem that some men can't separate sex from baby-feeding! Just because you choose to only see something as sexual doesn't make it so.

Thankfully men like you aren't making the laws.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
So are you ok with a 90 year old man tongue kissing a 18 year old boy in public?

Are you ok with a man wearing a speedo in public?
These things happen all the time.

I don't see how that has anything to do with a baby being fed...?

Old 04-30-2016, 03:03 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Your posts sounds like you consider women's breasts to be "damaged goods" i.e. once they're viewed as sexual, you refuse to see them as anything else.

Any body part can be sexualized. If you are unable to view women's bodies without sexualizing them, then I suppose the solution would be to cover up women from head to toe, so that you are not tempted to sexualize them.

But, hello, guess what?? It's not OUR problem that some men can't separate sex from baby-feeding! Just because you choose to only see something as sexual doesn't make it so.

Thankfully men like you aren't making the laws.
Calm down dear. I'm a woman. I've had my beasts sexualized plenty. And read again where I said I don't care either way about the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta