Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

Athens is the most liberal city in this state, and Savannah isn't too far behind -- facts that all the ITP homers completely ignore whenever the topic of Georgia politics comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:31 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
there are suburbs that fit both descriptions. typically the suburbs to the north, northeast, and northwest are dominated by fiscal conservatives and liberals, with a handful of social conservatives. pretty much every other suburb is more socially conservative, even the ones that vote democratic seem to have a strong church culture.
Exactly and those areas have the highest populations in the metro area.
I spent a lot of time in Douglasville and nearby when my grandma used to live over there. Of the people I encountered that I knew were conservative, it did seem to be more socially conservative. I've spent a lot of time in rural areas of GA where you can't drive 100 feet without seeing a "Jesus Saves" sign posted on a telephone pole. It's a different vibe and just hearing random conversations at stores and such I can tell a lot of the people living in the northern burbs are more fiscally conservative and care way more about economic issues than personal ones. Doesn't mean that everyone is socially liberal, I just think the scale tips one way more than the other.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:36 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Georgia is pretty much a tale of two states when it comes to politics and religion.

Inside much of the fast-growing Atlanta metropolitan area (inside and just beyond the Interstate 285 Perimeter highway that rings the inner-urban core of metro Atlanta and separates the city from the suburbs), the political climate leans moderate-to-progressive.

Outside of the I-285 Perimeter, the political climate goes from moderate/conservative in maturing suburban areas that are just outside of I-285 to deeply-conservative/ultraconservative in outer-suburban, exurban and rural areas that are farther out from I-285.

People are pretty tolerant of differing religious views inside of the I-285 Perimeter where beliefs run the gamut from atheism and secularism to progressive and moderate Christian religious worship.

There is also much tolerance of differing religious beliefs in the increasingly diverse inner suburbs just outside of the I-285 Perimeter that range from secularism to moderate Christian religious worship to deeply-conservative orthodox and fundamentalist Christian religious worship to thriving Jewish communities and fast-growing Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim and Sikh communities.

The farther away from the I-285 Perimeter one gets into the outer suburbs and exurbs of the Atlanta metro region and deeper into outer-exurban and rural Georgia, generally the less tolerant the local political and social culture often gets of political/social views and religious beliefs that don't conform to decisively right-leaning (hard-right) conservative political and Christian religious orthodoxy.

For the time being, Georgia remains a deeply-conservative Red state.

But with the accelerating demographic changes in the state that are being driven by the continued explosive population growth of the Atlanta metro region (population growth that seemingly is increasingly dominated by the relocation into the state of minorities and moderate and progressive whites), Georgia appears to be moving towards becoming a Virginia-style Purple state within the next 15 years or so and potentially even a Maryland-style Blue state within the next 20 years or so.

This is a pretty fair assessment. I will add that Emory University is in Atlanta with the students who were scared by someone chalking Trump 2016. So the progressives in the inner city are pretty similar to what you would find in California as far as politics. However, I don't get an anti-religious vibe. There are a lot of liberal churches ITP.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:36 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Athens is the most liberal city in this state, and Savannah isn't too far behind -- facts that all the ITP homers completely ignore whenever the topic of Georgia politics comes up.
I think a lot of liberal Atlantans recognize Athens and Savannah. Other than Atlanta, those are the only two cities in GA to which I'd consider moving.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlanta is definitely the most liberal city in the state. It's the only city that scored a 100 on the Equality Index from HRC in Georgia.

Savannah scored a 19.

http://hrc-assets.s3-website-us-east...orgia_2015.pdf

Athens also scored a 19.

Atlanta scored a 100.

Only Austin, Atlanta, and Dallas scored 100s in the entire southern region. No liberal city would score a 19 on this scale. Even Decatur who a lot of people say is a liberal city only scored a 28. http://hrc-assets.s3-website-us-east...orgia_2015.pdf

Atlanta was also in the top 10 for most donations per capita to Bernie Sanders, who is the epitome of very liberal and progressive.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:49 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Athens is a glorified college town where a lot of student's parents are conservatives and republicans themselves.

Savannah is not really a liberal city. It's moderate with a lot of old money. SCAD and a few cafes doesn't Savannah liberal.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Athens is a glorified college town where a lot of student's parents are conservatives and republicans themselves.

Savannah is not really a liberal city. It's moderate with a lot of old money. SCAD and a few cafes doesn't Savannah liberal.
SCAD and a few cafes? LOL ... someone has never spent much time in Savannah.

And Athens is NOT a "glorified" college town. It is the very definition of "college town" - just like Chapel Hill, Boulder or Berekely. They are not "glorified" -- they are what they are. And politically speaking, Athens-Clarke County is the most liberal city in Georgia. That's beyond dispute. Go look up election results.

As a gay man, I couldn't care less about the Human Right's Campaign's Equality Index. It has no bearing on my day-to-day life and is not a reflection of the people I know who live, work, play and visit Savannah. Using that as a gauge of "liberal-ness" is as disengenous as saying "I saw a 'Jesus Saves' sign (or a Rebel Flag) in rural Georgia"' ... so everybody down there is a racist and a conservative.

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-01-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy
Go look up election results.
This isn't my argument, but I decided to look up the county election results for the 2012 presidential election for both Clarke and Fulton. I thought that Obama's share of the vote in Fulton would be lower than in Clarke, but Barack Obama received 62.77% of the vote in Clarke County, but 64.13% in Fulton County. This is despite the fact that Fulton County has numerous conservative suburbs that swung heavily to Romney, and Atlanta doesn't even have half of the county's population. Clarke County is 99.2% Athens, 0.7% Winterville, and 0.1% is the tiny sliver of Bogart that isn't in Oconee County.

- skbl17

Old 05-01-2016, 04:19 PM

628 posts, read 818,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
This isn't my argument, but I decided to look up the county election results for the 2012 presidential election for both Clarke and Fulton. I thought that Obama's share of the vote in Fulton would be lower than in Clarke, but Barack Obama received 62.77% of the vote in Clarke County, but 64.13% in Fulton County. This is despite the fact that Fulton County has numerous conservative suburbs that swung heavily to Romney, and Atlanta doesn't even have half of the county's population. Clarke County is 99.2% Athens, 0.7% Winterville, and 0.1% is the tiny sliver of Bogart that isn't in Oconee County.

- skbl17
I'm not sure the last couple Presidential elections would be good telltale signs of the political demographics. McCain and Romney were unusually weak Republican challengers against Obama. Also with the Atlanta metro being heavily African-American, the turnout was quite large for democratic votes during the historic inauguration of the first Black President.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:41 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
I'm not sure the last couple Presidential elections would be good telltale signs of the political demographics. McCain and Romney were unusually weak Republican challengers against Obama. Also with the Atlanta metro being heavily African-American, the turnout was quite large for democratic votes during the historic inauguration of the first Black President.
Presidential general election results might indeed be one of the very best indicators of the political demographics of an area because voter turnout is the highest during presidential general elections.

More voters cast ballots during presidential general elections than during any other election.

The electorate that participates in presidential general elections is much larger, broader and more diverse than the electorate that participates in any other election cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta