U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:07 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,294,196 times

Advertisements

- No toll roads. Ask the people in TX, Miami, NY/NJ, Chicago, etc how they feel about paying for tolls (Idiot, a hot lane isn't a toll road)

- Multiple DIRECT flights EVERYWHERE (Outside of Dallas and Chicago most people have connecting flights)

- 2 hour flight to 80% of the US population

- Top 3 cities in cheap flights

- No REAL snow

- Days off for the potential threat of snow

- No major weather threats outside of trees falling, generally speaking (Yes we might get a pop-up small tornado but that's it, generally speaking)

- Don't have to worry about hurricanes. Once they get here they are generally a cat 1 or just a huge thunderstorm

- Beautiful Topography and rolling hills

- CHEAP cost of living by major city standards

- More concerts than any city in the south and just about all major cities outside of NYC and LA (Shaky Knees, Counterpoint, Wolf Creek concerts, Music Midtown, One Musicfest, Sweetwater 420,etc, etc, etc. Not to mention all the surprise guest we get at concerts here.

- 3am last call. (4am last call is multiple areas OTP) Most cities shut down at 2am

- Smoking isn't banned at the bars and full nudity at strip clubs with alcohol served.

- Doesn't get dark until 6am in the winter

- If you live and work ITP you don't need a car, generally speaking

- The city doesn't shut down in the winter

- Always something to do from festivals, concerts, conventions, etc

- We have more restaurants open at 5am than most cities

- No red light/traffic cameras (I heard there are a couple of them throughout the metro area but I have only seen one in Clayton Co.)

- City of trees. You can drive 5 mins away from downtown and feel like you are in a huge forest in the country.

- You can take the subway from the airport into the city.

- Top 5 skyline

- grocery bags are free

etc

Sure we need MARTA OTP to help with traffic and a few other things but overall we got a good thing going in Atlanta!

I know the haters and the tolls are about to cry right now but let the battle begin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
I agree with most things listed except:
Tolls are not a bad thing, they help offset for maintenance of the road by directing charging the users.
Plastic grocery bags should be discouraged. Reusable bags are cheap and sometimes free at festivals and other events where gift bags are given away.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I agree with most things listed except:
Tolls are not a bad thing, they help offset for maintenance of the road by directing charging the users.
Plastic grocery bags should be discouraged. Reusable bags are cheap and sometimes free at festivals and other events where gift bags are given away.

Tolls are bad IMO for Atlanta. We have been getting by with not having tolls for this long so they are doing something right. Most places have tolls just for additional state revenue (FL, TX, Chicago, NY/NJ)

Grocery bags should be free. Add the cost to the items in the store if need be

IMO

Old 05-03-2016, 08:42 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,824,378 times
There are plenty of traffic cameras throughout the metro. Don't know why you put that one but I agree with the others.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 984,422 times
I agree that Atlanta is a good thing. I love the town and wanna live in it (or near it as the case may be). I REALLY, REALLY love the areas with river views in Sandy Springs and Roswell. However, do you think Atlanta rarely gets tornadoes? This tornado map seems to show otherwise. It's risk level is well above the average... And isn't Atlanta the only major city that had a tornado strike the heart of it's business district?? Can't forget the Dunwoody tornado or the two Gainesville tornadoes either. Dangerous tornadoes are not exactly a rare occurrence.

https://icons-ak.wxug.com/graphics/w...nado_Alley.gif

Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I agree that Atlanta is a good thing. I love the town and wanna live in it or near it as the case may be. I REALLY, REALLY love the areas with river views of Sandy Springs and Roswell. However, do you think Atlanta rarely gets tornados? This tornado map seems to show otherwise. It's risk level is well above the average... And isn't Atlanta the only major city that had a tornado strike the heart of it's business district??

https://icons-ak.wxug.com/graphics/w...nado_Alley.gif
Atlanta does not get as many tornadoes as Birmingham, OKC, Nashville, and other cities in the darker colors. That is because Atlanta is farther east of the mixing zones where cool, dry air from the plains mixes with warm, moist air from the Gulf. Thanks Florida!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
There are plenty of traffic cameras throughout the metro. Don't know why you put that one but I agree with the others.
I live ITP. I drive fast everywhere and never gotten a ticket in the mail. I never see cameras flashing ITP at traffic lights. Are they mostly OTP?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 AM

9,918 posts, read 6,909,650 times
I am sure the idea of getting things for free seems great, but they are not really free. Tolls are a good thing. We need tolls on our roads. The funding should (and almost always does) go to fund the very road you are driving on.

The main problem / concern most people cite with metro Atlanta is traffic. And tolls are a key part of the solution to that.

3,445 posts, read 2,824,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I live ITP. I drive fast everywhere and never gotten a ticket in the mail. I never see cameras flashing ITP at traffic lights. Are they mostly OTP?
Yeah they're OTP, which is why I prefer driving in Clayton, Cobb and Gwinnett instead of Fulton and DeKalb. Have y'all ever heard of a speed limit and leaving space SMH.

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Tolls are bad IMO for Atlanta. We have been getting by with not having tolls for this long so they are doing something right. Most places have tolls just for additional state revenue (FL, TX, Chicago, NY/NJ)
We had a toll road for 20 years (GA 400) and it's debatable that removing it was a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or