U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM

857 posts, read 4,477,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNYCtoGA View Post
If i had to sum Atlanta, GA in 1 word it would be "DESOLATE"!!!!!!! With an Ivy League degree, if your lucky you may get a job at McDonalds...Never in my life have i felt so insecure about finding employment.....
Actually, with an Ivy league degree, you should know that it is "if you're lucky", not " if your lucky". It is not enough to just pay the tuition... you have to stay awake in class too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,382,865 times
Where is this "Ivy League" degree from may I ask?
Actually, I spent over 5 years in sales from Philly to the boro's of NYC before being transfered to Chi'Town.
In my 2 1/2 decades in sales and sales management I found NYC to be one of the easiest places ever to do business.
Sorry, I always get a kick about the so called "tough streets" of NYC. You want rough try growing up in Appalachia!
That is why I always get so rattled about the crime and the poor mouthing that always goes on in the city areas. In other words, city folk ain't gotta clue about the meaning of "tough". You do have a purty smile sometimes though

I agree, this area though it does have more issues than most places I have ever lived is one of the fastest growing places in the nation. All ya gotta do is look around, you will find it. Have some patience.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:43 PM

849 posts, read 3,207,387 times
Wink to be fair

to FromNY, parts of the Bronx are no picnic. The urban equivalent of Appalachia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Where is this "Ivy League" degree from may I ask?
Actually, I spent over 5 years in sales from Philly to the boro's of NYC before being transfered to Chi'Town.
In my 2 1/2 decades in sales and sales management I found NYC to be one of the easiest places ever to do business.
Sorry, I always get a kick about the so called "tough streets" of NYC. You want rough try growing up in Appalachia!
That is why I always get so rattled about the crime and the poor mouthing that always goes on in the city areas. In other words, city folk ain't gotta clue about the meaning of "tough". You do have a purty smile sometimes though

I agree, this area though it does have more issues than most places I have ever lived is one of the fastest growing places in the nation. All ya gotta do is look around, you will find it. Have some patience.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:16 PM

857 posts, read 4,477,383 times
Quote:
Maybe I should change my Last Name on my resume to Kovacs and see where that takes me. I was born and raised in NYC....I went from the rough streets of the South Bronx to the golden gates of the Ivy. As they say, "If you make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere"...I'll contact Mayor Bloomberg about placing a footnote on phrase.

In the words of my fiancee: "When you go from dealing with multi-million dollar accounts, have CEOs as your references, and a proven track record of bringing in multi-million dollar clients for my old Wall Street-based company...To not even an interview in a months time, the word DESOLATE streams through my mind at all times...I went as far as to set up a Monster account in NY and within a hours time, I had 5 offers...So my cocky, I'll-get-the-job-done-no-matter-what attitude has not even been put to the test here in Atlanta...Had I not moved from TN to NY and made a great living in the hardest city in the world, maybe I would be inclined to take a job for less pay and twice the work...I would assume you don't have a six-figure job seeing as how you have time to moderate a forum..I assume you dont deal in multi million dollar dealings.
What do you do Bob? Please tell me you have employment thats even worth talking about.?.
I grew up in Flatbush, and since I moved here I have never had a problem finding a job. I'm sorry to say that I think it is probably your attitude that is keeping you from finding anything. I don't have a degree from an Ivy League school, nor do I need one. I have never needed a piece of paper to try to convince people that I am smart. If you are shoving your Ivy League sheepskin down the throats of potential employers here they may just find you to be a tad overbearing and arrogant. Why not just dial it back a bit and try to approach the job search with a bit more humility and perhaps you will find that you, too, can find a six-figure income just like Bob and I and so many others have, even without having your oh-so impressive credentials.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM

351 posts, read 1,296,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move View Post
What industry? My husband is in sales and has been with his company forever and is very qualified and underpaid.
Professional and managed services. Its hard not to make 200k in your first year if you have a pulse and some common sense.....................

There are tons of well paid sales job in Atlanta in all industrys, there is a website that lists them, will post the link if I can find it.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 AM

103 posts, read 292,695 times
Default Ok tell me???

Ok, I know that we are trying to prove a point to the guy that has not been back yet, I guess he thought that he bark would be worse than our bite.

But ok, tell me if I am doing something wrong...I have been here 3 months and I have not gotten an offer yet. I work in Customer Service and Logistics. Maybe my resume is showing too much, or maybe it is because I live in Clayton Cty. Give me some hints!

Thanks

Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 AM

879 posts, read 2,416,932 times
Okay I read this thread with a great deal of interest..I head recruiting for a company here in Atlanta and the advise I would give all is make your resume nice and succinct...I don't need to read all your self praise, just tell me what you did in each job and please, no more than two pages...and straight to the facts...don't give me a one page summary on your accomplishments because I do not beleive that stuff...and when we do call you in for an interview...just answer the questions honestly and with confidence and stop the self praise...I am always saying, it is so hard to find good people...and Bob...I could not agree with you more. I also moved here from the northeast and found a job down here as well and make a six figure income...

Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 AM

24 posts, read 85,238 times
I don't make six figures, but I did find a job. Now I'm just trying to help my husband find a job. It took me 3 weeks, and the pay is almost the same that I was making before I moved. So it's not impossible, and I didn't have Ivy league education either, just plain ole' bachelors and M.A from regular schools.

That attitude is not going to really help you find anything.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM

36 posts, read 112,952 times
Quote:
I've been applying for jobs in Atlanta for about a month and haven't heard a peep from employers. This would be understandable if I didn't have any credentials under my belt, but I'm well qualified (even overqualified) for these positions. What's up with Atlanta? What am I missing, folks?
Just as has already been stated numerous times, each industry has its own quirks to deal with. I'm in the electrical systems design industry, and I haven't started sending in resumes yet. I just hope my experience isn't as bad as yours

Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM

31 posts, read 113,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, it sounds like we hit the nail on the head with regard to your attitude, so maybe you should pack up your Ivy League, CEO-reference laden resume and head back to NYC. Changing your last name won't help you here- changing your attitude might, though.

And you should be more careful with your assumptions, because I do have a six-figure job with a multi-billion dollar commercial construction company, where the average project I'm involved in is $20-40 million, with some reaching up to $250 million+. And maybe the fact that I'm efficient and good at what I do is what allows me the little bit of time it takes to moderate a forum before getting started in the morning and during lunch.

Unlike you, I did my homework prior to moving, and confirmed that there was a demand for my skills here in Atlanta. Perhaps your Ivy League education should have focused a little more on doing proper research and a little less on how to properly bury a stick 3' up your azz so you could walk around like a king.

And BTW- I grew up in NJ and spent plenty of time working in NYC- it's not such a big deal to make it there- all you need to do is be willing to spend 14-16 hours a day at your job and keep your face firmly planted in the rearend of whoever is above you. In the meantime, your kids will grow up not knowing you, your trophy wife will be banging the pool boy while you're at work, and you'll end up with high cholesterol and hypertension and die at your desk. Enjoy that- I'll stay down here where employers realize that there's more to life than just work.

Well said Bobkovac...I regret moving to Dallas,Tx 2 years ago after living in Atlanta 15 years. I plan to move back to Atlanta next year and look for employment. My wife and I plan to buy a small condo in Dunwoody cash ( I believe I can get one for around 200,000). Even though I am not near your league ( six figures) , I will grab anything (part time,whatever) untill I land the job that I want. Since I will not have a mortgage (debt free) and not so concern about my ego, I am confident things will turn out ok..Its all about attitude and determination. I know it sounds like a cliche, but when there is a will,there is a way. That gentlemen from NY has a lot to learn about humility..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or