U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 10:06 AM

8 posts, read 7,919 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to GA from Pensacola, FL. His job will have him in Monticello and Thomson, more time spent in Monticello. We have narrowed our area search down to McDonough mostly. The last thread about McDonough on here was from 2006 so I was wondering what some more updated thoughts were on the area. We will have one school age child starting preK in the fall. I have noticed the Ola school district has good ratings but wanted more feed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 10:14 AM

72 posts, read 113,092 times
It is a nice, growing area. You will enjoy it. Great for families in the ola area

Old 05-03-2016, 12:34 PM

16 posts, read 12,519 times
Default McDonough and Traffic

One thing you would benefit from in McDonough is the relative lack of traffic. The traffic backup into Atlanta starts at McDonough, and your husband would be travelling south.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:23 PM

94 posts, read 67,311 times
I live in McDonough. Only complaint is outrageous property taxes of Henry county. I live in eagles landing. Those are good schools as well.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:50 PM

13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times
Why McDonough? If your husband's job takes him between Monticello and Thompson, there are some lovely towns along the I-20 corridor in the Lake Oconee region that are much more convenient. That's a beautiful part of Georgia. Look into Madison (Morgan County) especially -- GORGEOUS historic city with lots to see and do, decent schools. Eatonton (Putnam County)'is another option. Monticello itself, while quaint and beautiful, is rather small and I can't vouch for the schools.

If being close to Atlanta is important, you're still not more than an hour or so from the city in any of those places I mentioned. And even closer to suburban areas that have anything you need. Though Madison, Greensboro and Lake Oconee probably have most everything you're looking for. I seriously suggest checking this area out before committing to Henry County / McDonough.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 AM

142 posts, read 103,738 times
The distance from the Ola area of McDonough to Monticello is about the same as Madison to Monticello. I disagree that Madison/Greensboro/Lake Oconee/Eatonton are only about an hour from Atlanta. Covington is about an hour with average traffic, and those places are further out. I do agree though that those are lovely towns to consider, although they are smaller and do not have as easy access to shopping, etc., in my opinion. But they would be more convenient for the drive to Thomson. It would be a hike from McDonough to Thomson.

In regard to McDonough, I love it here and definitely recommend it as a place to consider, especially if your husband will mostly be in Monticello. It is very family friendly with an involved community and good schools. It lacks pretension, and the people are down-to-earth and nice. There is still a spacious and semi-rural feel in many areas including the east side/Ola area. We live in the Union Grove/East Lake zone (next to the Ola area) and have had a great experience here, love our neighborhood, schools, and community. Shopping is not far but not too close. The Ola schools are very good and the area is quiet, family friendly, safe, near the historic downtown square. There are a lot of youth sports/activities available. The eastside of McDonough/Ola zone would be your best commute to Monticello from Henry County. Ola Elementary is very good as is Rock Spring Elementary which also feeds into Ola Middle and High. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2016, 01:16 PM

8 posts, read 7,919 times
We did consider the Madison area when we first found out we would be moving. My husband will really only be in Thomson once every other week if that and his company will provide lodging for the times he has to go there. McDonough seemed like the best offer for all of us rather than just my husbands commute. I have family closer to McDonough and am also 5 months pregnant so hospitals and medical facilities have played a role in our decision.

The comments you all have provided have helped out greatly!! Thank you all for the feedback. We look forward to moving to the area soon!!

Old 09-30-2016, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 3,608 times
I'm moving my family to the Ola area this winter and am very happy to read this. Relocating from Los Angeles this is huge for us.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,252,650 times
You will enjoy McDonough, Ola schools are okay, but the adjacent Union Grove Schools (East Lake/ Timber Ridge Elementaries, Union Grove Middle and High) are by far superior in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:55 PM

72 posts, read 113,092 times
It is a great, growing area. New businesses open weekly, it seems. Traffic can be tough around henry county though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta