U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:13 AM

686 posts, read 510,668 times

Advertisements

I'd love it if something was done with the 3 corners of Memorial and Boulevard....such a wasteland. Hopefully over time the re-development will include this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,154,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I'd love it if something was done with the 3 corners of Memorial and Boulevard....such a wasteland. Hopefully over time the re-development will include this area.
Word on the street is that no developer wants to touch those corners because the GDOT plans to turn it into a round-about, and there is uncertainty of how much land that will be taken of the lots right there. I don't know if it's just a rumor, but that's what I heard. Also - GDOT won't be doing this anytime soon, so I guess it'll be this way for a while. It is really unfortunate though, something NEEDS to be done there, other than Agave using it as a really ugly parking lot.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:30 AM

9,904 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Word on the street is that no developer wants to touch those corners because the GDOT plans to turn it into a round-about, and there is uncertainty of how much land that will be taken of the lots right there. I don't know if it's just a rumor, but that's what I heard. Also - GDOT won't be doing this anytime soon, so I guess it'll be this way for a while. It is really unfortunate though, something NEEDS to be done there, other than Agave using it as a really ugly parking lot.
I have not heard about a round-about there. The Streetcar will likely be coming through that intersection on Memorial though. Hopefully they do a road diet there to get it flowing better.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I have not heard about a round-about there. The Streetcar will likely be coming through that intersection on Memorial though. Hopefully they do a road diet there to get it flowing better.
A while ago there was a Nextdoor post about development on Memorial, and a commenter indicated the plans for the round-about. Didn't provide much more detail though.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,459,174 times
I love roundabouts, but there's way too much big-rig traffic for a roundabout at Memorial and Boulevard.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:55 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
Quote:
I agree, especially for that area. Since it includes multiple parking decks, I'm not sure why all the surface parking is needed. I was hoping it would be a bit more like Atlantic Station, with all of the parking hidden. It looks like it's going to be a little too much like the Edgewood Plaza for my liking. That said, the services going in there, especially the movie theatre, are needed for this area. I just wish it was more like Glenwood Park or Atlantic Station.
It's FU-qua...

Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 PM

Another development in south Grant Park just announced, joining The Beacon in anticipation of the Beltline. Exciting times for us!

https://whatnowatlanta.com/400-grant...ng-south-side/

Old 05-05-2016, 12:25 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Quote:
Another development in south Grant Park just announced, joining The Beacon in anticipation of the Beltline. Exciting times for us!

https://whatnowatlanta.com/400-grant...ng-south-side/
Yeah, I think that area around Boulevard Crossing Park is the next area to explode with development.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:03 PM

Here is a really great map somebody in Grant Park created that shows the current development in the area. It really is amazing (and exciting) how much this area will be changing over the next couple of years!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...GxpF2mPB7hiAQA

Old 05-10-2016, 12:07 PM

According to a commenter on Curbed who is apparently intimately involved with Fuqua's Reynoldstown development, they have successfully pressured the Fuqua team to remove the huge amount of surface parking and put it into an underground garage. Limited surface parking now remains. This is very exciting! They apparently didn't get all of their concessions, but my biggest problem was the amount of surface parking proposed for the development. I'm not saying there should be no parking, but it should at least be hidden, which it now is. Apparently, the neighborhood tried to make Fuqua further reduce the number of parking spaces, but the proposed tenants wouldn't sign anything if there was less parking, unfortunately. Here is the link to the curbed article:

Reynoldstown Beltline Development Plans Unveiled - Curbed Atlanta

And the comment from Janarchy:

"Neither these renderings or plans are correct. We (R-town) had our neighborhood meeting last night and approved the re-zoning contingent on the latest site plan.

Most parking is subsurface, other than the top of the parking garages, there is only a narrow strip of surface parking on the northern end of the property behind the retail/offices fronting Memorial. There is also parallel parking on the streets. The orientation of the multi-family building has been reversed so that the parking garage is farther from the Beltline, and there is no longer a drive bisecting the plaza. Instead, a restaurant will front the plaza, taking up the first floor, west side, of the office building.

We didn’t get everything we wanted, but we did get a real street grid and buildings that can be re-purposed as tenants move on and uses change. We also got 5% affordable housing in the multi-family and condos, as well as active retail fronting Memorial and the Beltline. The development’s name, Madison Yards, was picked by the neighborhood, and reflects one of our founders, Madison Reynolds."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or