U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 01:23 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
According to a commenter on Curbed who is apparently intimately involved with Fuqua's Reynoldstown development, they have successfully pressured the Fuqua team to remove the huge amount of surface parking and put it into an underground garage. Limited surface parking now remains. This is very exciting! They apparently didn't get all of their concessions, but my biggest problem was the amount of surface parking proposed for the development. I'm not saying there should be no parking, but it should at least be hidden, which it now is. Apparently, the neighborhood tried to make Fuqua further reduce the number of parking spaces, but the proposed tenants wouldn't sign anything if there was less parking, unfortunately. Here is the link to the curbed article:

Reynoldstown Beltline Development Plans Unveiled - Curbed Atlanta

And the comment from Janarchy:

"Neither these renderings or plans are correct. We (R-town) had our neighborhood meeting last night and approved the re-zoning contingent on the latest site plan.

Most parking is subsurface, other than the top of the parking garages, there is only a narrow strip of surface parking on the northern end of the property behind the retail/offices fronting Memorial. There is also parallel parking on the streets. The orientation of the multi-family building has been reversed so that the parking garage is farther from the Beltline, and there is no longer a drive bisecting the plaza. Instead, a restaurant will front the plaza, taking up the first floor, west side, of the office building.

We didn’t get everything we wanted, but we did get a real street grid and buildings that can be re-purposed as tenants move on and uses change. We also got 5% affordable housing in the multi-family and condos, as well as active retail fronting Memorial and the Beltline. The development’s name, Madison Yards, was picked by the neighborhood, and reflects one of our founders, Madison Reynolds."
Reynoldstown says yes to Madison Yards, Fuqua's proposed mixed-use project along the Beltline | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 01:25 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,496,039 times
Glenwood Place looks like hot garbage.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:33 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,891,298 times
This is looking pretty good for Fuqua IMO:

Old 05-10-2016, 01:35 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,154,979 times
Thanks! I missed that article. I tried to compare, and I'm not really sure what they did with the space where parking used to be (say, on the side of the grocery store). It doesn't look like any extra density was added, so what is it now? Just roads?

Old 05-10-2016, 01:40 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,726,205 times
The aerial layout doesn't look too bad, but some of those renderings make it look like there's a lot more surface parking that I think there actually is.

I dunno, there's also an odd amount of room between some of the buildings, especially that Northwest Corner with the grocery store... why put the parking so close to the trail, instead of behind it? You should have as much density on the trail as possible. For example, move the condos to the parking lot, and move the parking to where the condos were, maybe?

To be fair, though, there is a decent amount of street/trail-facing retail, and even some residential, and Fuqua is extending the street-grid, which is nice. Most of the decks are tucked away, which is nice, too. I guess my main gripe with the development itself is the grocer still being a big-box design instead of incorporated into residential or other commercial space.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The aerial layout doesn't look too bad, but some of those renderings make it look like there's a lot more surface parking that I think there actually is.

I dunno, there's also an odd amount of room between some of the buildings, especially that Northwest Corner with the grocery store... why put the parking so close to the trail, instead of behind it? You should have as much density on the trail as possible. For example, move the condos to the parking lot, and move the parking to where the condos were, maybe?

To be fair, though, there is a decent amount of street/trail-facing retail, and even some residential, and Fuqua is extending the street-grid, which is nice. Most of the decks are tucked away, which is nice, too. I guess my main gripe with the development itself is the grocer still being a big-box design instead of incorporated into residential or other commercial space.
I agree with your comments. I know everybody likes to harp on Atlantic Station, but they really did a good job, IMO, of making it urban, with all parking below ground. In addition, the Publix there, as well as other big box stores, are very much incorporated into the development in an urban way, rather than a typical stand alone big box way. I hoped to see more of that here.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:12 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,726,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree with your comments. I know everybody likes to harp on Atlantic Station, but they really did a good job, IMO, of making it urban, with all parking below ground. In addition, the Publix there, as well as other big box stores, are very much incorporated into the development in an urban way, rather than a typical stand alone big box way. I hoped to see more of that here.
Y'all did good out there with what you could do. Maybe the NPU and City can push a bit harder to increase the density just a bit.

It doesn't have to be Atlantic station style built out, but a 3-level building with the grocer on the bottom floor would be great.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:21 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,496,039 times
I'm skeptical toward the Office parcel. Glenwood Place was slated to have an office component, but that turned into a drive-thru Chick-fil-a.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I'm skeptical toward the Office parcel. Glenwood Place was slated to have an office component, but that turned into a drive-thru Chick-fil-a.
Valid skeptism. But it should be noted that the office at Glenwood place was for a future phase at an unspecified time just like the retirement home. The office is planned for the chickfila parking lot. Eventually. Maybe.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:56 AM

WABE interviewed Phillipe Pellerin, the developer of the Beacon Atlanta. He gives some good insights into what the plan is for the site, and how it will integrate with the Beltline and the neighborhood. Sounds like a really good amount of community involvement and talks with the Beltline, NPU, etc. It is the first 15 minutes.

https://soundcloud.com/waberadio/clo...ok-may-18-2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or