U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:16 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,283,094 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, I still don't think I'd say "affordable." Especially when property taxes are mixed in too. But whatever. I'm not really interested in debating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 09:07 AM

1,268 posts, read 627,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Hmmm, I still don't think I'd say "affordable." Especially when property taxes are mixed in too. But whatever. I'm not really interested in debating it.
Atlanta is changing. People have to accept that. 300k is not "affordable" in what people have long thought about the "super low cost south" but the south is changing and large southern cities like Atlanta are changing too. Housing can't stay cheap forever, and 300k for in town living is still VERY cheap compared to Chicago, San Francisco, Miami, NYC, etc. One day if Atlanta keeps at this pace people will laugh at the idea of 300k in town condos.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
One day if Atlanta keeps at this pace people will laugh at the idea of 300k in town condos.
... and then no one making less that 100k a year will be able to live intown. This is exactly why affordability is brought up and is important to keep an eye on.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
... and then no one making less that 100k a year will be able to live intown. This is exactly why affordability is brought up and is important to keep an eye on.
Which means Atlanta will be drastically safer.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:56 AM

5,401 posts, read 2,726,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Which means Atlanta will be drastically safer.
But not by actually fixing anything, only moving the poor people, good and bad, away.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
But not by actually fixing anything, only moving the poor people, good and bad, away.
It's unfortunate but that's how it generally works. Market forces push poor people out as an area becomes more desirable...which in turn improves crime and schools, which brings in even wealthier people and the area gets even nicer. I don't like that good poor people are pushed out but overall it is best for any city as a whole - much preferable to the reverse.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:22 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,252,650 times
I feel you need six figures to live in "Intown" Atlanta now, even in a marginal neighborhood. The real estate deals now seem to be in "Inner City" Atlanta: Westside in the pie piece created by I-20 and I-75, neighborhoods due south of downtown (particularly west of I-75) Nicer parts of Southeast and Southwest Atlanta are even getting pricier (especially southeast, gentrification is encroaching on Starlight drive in along Moreland Avenue) A brilliant well funded developer should buy up EVERYTHING along Abernathy Boulevard between I-75 and West End (Mechanicsville westward) as well as everything just west of downtown (between Northside Drive and the AU Center.... Vine City/ The Bluff/ English Avenue) and tear down EVERYTHING and start over (Perhaps with some consideration for historical structures) They could make a killing, I think, by creating large new mix use communities with both townhomes and single family homes all around lovely parks. I also could see some one creating a beautiful river front community along the Chattahoochee where Bankhead Courts once stood. Such a development (again Mixed use with Townhouses, apartments, and single family homes) could really jump start something great that could march down Bankhead east toward downtown and really help improve that down on its heels community. By the way, I am well aware that I used real estate double speak and that "Intown" and "Inner City" are synonyms that have vastly different connotations. ;0)

Old 08-27-2016, 05:14 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,891,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I feel you need six figures to live in "Intown" Atlanta now, even in a marginal neighborhood.
Well that is wrong. I don't make six figures and I know a lot of people that make a lot less than me and live in bigger / fancier places than me.

But I agree with the thoughts about redeveloping the rest of ITP more. It does not need to be one big developer. It is already happening with thousands of smaller developers as we speak.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,252,650 times
I am speaking as a person with a family of five with three school aged children. Trust me, I feel it would take big bucks to replicate our large family home in the city of Atlanta anywhere but the the fringe areas I mentioned.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM

9,904 posts, read 6,891,298 times
915 Glenwood (US Electric site at corner of BKW and Glenwood) has filed for rezoning to MR4-A: https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

They have been circulating some initial plans with the neighborhood but nothing that can be shared publicly yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or