U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,995,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
As someone who actually works on a college campus, unlike the vast majority of the pro-campus carry loons in this state, I am once again proud of Deal doing the right thing. Guns have no place on a college campus, no matter who is carrying them.

And to the poster who says that the people against campus carry are the minority, think again. I don't give two sh88ts what people who don't spend their everyday on a campus think about whether guns belong there or not. The vast majority of students, faculty, administration, and staff are in agreement that guns DO NOT belong on a campus, and they have the stats and facts to back up their argument.
If colleges are to allow students and faculty to carry firearms onto campus, that decision should be made by the college itself, not forced upon it by the state. Place the decision in the hands of the very people who would suffer liability in case of a gun fiasco.

That's just the problem with legislators who vote for guns everywhere--they and their buddies at the NRA are completely shielded from liability for their actions. Imagine if they were suddenly on the hook! All of a sudden I think you'd see a massive attempt to reign in anti-personnel guns without undue deference to the gun nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 05:39 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,906,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Dude. We get it. YOU LOVE GUNS! Let's put a gun in the hands of every man, woman and child in this country ... Including little kindergarteners in Connecticut! But that WILL NOT STOP MASS KILLINGS! And you know it.
Mass killings are more related to the media and certain types of social friction in this country, and I don't see putting guns in the hands of everyone solving that issue, but I don't see them stopping until this country allows federal agencies like the CDC and various law enforcement agencies to aggregate and analyze data about the perps of such killings. If we don't know causal patterns, it's much harder to deal with the core issues.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 05-03-2016 at 05:51 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 05:44 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,500,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Of course not. I'm saying that when someone is pulling out a gun and turns it towards us, and you pull out a please don't hit me button, the best help you can offer us is to be in front of me.
What are you going to do when you finally escape Atlanta, as you so desperately desire, and end up in a city or state with onerous gun laws? Seems like you always want to be in a more urban city, but many of those are hardcore anti-gun.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:46 PM

985 posts, read 1,430,879 times
As I have preached over and over, carrying a firearm and being trained to use it takes an enormous amount of skill and training. It has to be constant and repetitive. Police officers receive it, and shoot innocent and unarmed people all of the time. If you can identify threat and avoid it, you likely won't be a victim. A gun can't save your life, if you are a soft target and unaware, which is like 99% of all robbery victims.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 PM

51 posts, read 27,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
What are you going to do when you finally escape Atlanta, as you so desperately desire, and end up in a city or state with onerous gun laws? Seems like you always want to be in a more urban city, but many of those are hardcore anti-gun.
One of the greatest things about this country is the right to bear arms. We've all seen how liberal gun-free zones do NOT work. How many shootings have happened on open carry or CCW premises? Close to zero. All Deal has done is create another zone where criminals can be comfortable knowing they will be safe if they decide to open fire.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:52 PM

5,943 posts, read 2,911,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
As I have preached over and over, carrying a firearm and being trained to use it takes an enormous amount of skill and training. It has to be constant and repetitive. Police officers receive it, and shoot innocent and unarmed people all of the time. If you can identify threat and avoid it, you likely won't be a victim. A gun can't save your life, if you are a soft target and unaware, which is like 99% of all robbery victims.
Exactly. Crime is about the element of surprise, which inherently nullifies the victim's defenses or weapons.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:59 PM

5,943 posts, read 2,911,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot777 View Post
All Deal has done is create another zone where criminals can be comfortable knowing they will be safe if they decide to open fire.
My God, you are astoundingly a moron.

He's not implementing any gun control, first of all. No change to anything is happening, here. In fact, that's the point.

Secondly, exactly 0% of people who decide to shoot up a school, ever make it out of there alive. So what part of no chance of survival or escaping capture = "safe"?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:01 PM

341 posts, read 174,885 times
Quote:
20 year old is not a kid. A 20 year old is 2 years older than a legal adult. It sounds to me like you are transferring your fears and inability to handle fire arms onto others.
I have fears when guns are in school campus your right a 20 year old is an adult but do they have the mental capacity to handle a fire arm?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Will they listen when you ask them to politely wait a sec, so you can put down your laptop, get your gun out, ready your aim and have a friendly gentleman's duel?

No. Because the armed student will already be dead, probably shot in the back of the head, before they even realize what's even going on, in such a situation. Because in actual real life (not the movies), the "good guy's gun" is just more ammo for the armed, crazy mass killer bad guy. Yeah, eventually one of the kids may gun him down, but so could a security guard accomplish the same thing, and with actual professional training.

Presence of guns everywhere does not add up to a safer environment. It just raises the stakes of everything.

Guns make it too easy to kill people. Stressed out kids in these environments just simply should not have that access, in my opinion.
Good post alot of them believe the guns will make them safer when in reality it will cause more problems imagine that at a college party drunken idiots with guns.Dear lord that frightens me...

Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Dude you're totally right. All we need to do is just have a little sit-down fireside chat with all our local criminals. And explain to them that we just don't want them to carry guns and that way we won't have to mash our little help me buttons and call the police. And then we would never have to carry guns ourselves because no one will have guns right?
You sound like your gun crazy,your suggesting more guns is the answer huh?So lets give everyone on school campus a fire arm heck lets give those stressed out kids on campus a weapon.How about those drunken college football players im pretty sure all of them should party with weapons right?Dont let the criminals stop you from education if you feel unsafe at school then why go?Crime on campus is very very rare and like I said if more officers and security were hired it would decrease crime on campus.Studies have shown police presence decreases crime.But to your logic we need "Wild Wild West" right?Now answer this should untrained college kids be allowed to conceal a fire arm?Yes their college kids who are trained to handle fire arms but the majority are not trained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or