Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:25 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Could you please stand in front of me with your please don't hit me button while I get out my weapon?
Are you threatening murder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 04:34 PM

272 posts, read 271,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Are you threatening murder?
Of course not. I'm saying that when someone is pulling out a gun and turns it towards us, and you pull out a please don't hit me button, the best help you can offer us is to be in front of me.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:35 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So are you going to go tell all the criminals that? Will they listen this time?
Will they listen when you ask them to politely wait a sec, so you can put down your laptop, get your gun out, ready your aim and have a friendly gentleman's duel?

No. Because the armed student will already be dead, probably shot in the back of the head, before they even realize what's even going on, in such a situation. Because in actual real life (not the movies), the "good guy's gun" is just more ammo for the armed, crazy mass killer bad guy. Yeah, eventually one of the kids may gun him down, but so could a security guard accomplish the same thing, and with actual professional training.

Presence of guns everywhere does not add up to a safer environment. It just raises the stakes of everything.

Guns make it too easy to kill people. Stressed out kids in these environments just simply should not have that access, in my opinion.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:39 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Will they listen when you ask them to politely wait a sec, so you can put down your laptop, get your gun out, ready your aim and have a friendly gentleman's duel?
No, I draw and fire like I've practiced and don't take time to try and "make nice" with someone trying to kill me.
Quote:
No. Because the armed student will already be dead, probably shot in the back of the head, before they even realize what's even going on, in such a situation. Because in actual real life (not the movies), the "good guy's gun" is just more ammo for the armed, crazy mass killer bad guy. Yeah, eventually one of the kids may gun him down, but so could a security guard accomplish the same thing, and with actual professional training.
Then why are there more cases of that not happening, and the perp ending up dead, than your silly scenario?
Quote:
Presence of guns everywhere does not add up to a safer environment. It just raises the stakes of everything.
Then why are the places here that all but ban guns (New Jersey, Washington DC, Chicago) the more dangerous places than say Georgia?
Quote:
Guns make it too easy to kill people. Stressed out kids in these environments just simply should not have that access, in my opinion.
But the criminals should have easy access to them, got it.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:45 PM

My coworker a few weeks ago, bought a gun, and then killed himself at his home with the gun. He had mental health problems. He sat right next to me, it was pretty shocking when we found out.

I think with college-age young adults- some of these kids are weird and awkward, and there is plenty of bullying and teasing going around. It's not high school, but it's still not fully the adult world, and people aren't fully emotionally matured at that age. So I don't think it's wise to introduce deadly weapons into the mix, in any event. Or more than necessary.

This legislation was not needed. Glad it's not happening. (For now.)

Old 05-03-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Then why are the places here that all but ban guns (New Jersey, Washington DC, Chicago) the more dangerous places than say Georgia?
Are you seriously going to ridiculously oversimplify comparisons, to make a point?

This is not sample group A and B, we're talking about. Georgia is a completely different environment and place than those big, extremely populated and dense northern cities and urbanized suburbs. Even Atlanta is nothing like those places.

Yeah, maybe gun policy even is a factor somewhere in there, but it's a relatively small one. Gang violence is created by economic hardship and a ridiculously stupid war against drugs.

There are plenty of examples around the world of places that are either safe or dangerous, that either have a lot of gun control or very little. I don't know if those things are always even related. Culture is a way bigger factor.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
If guns don't belong on campus, then why are there so many guns on campus?
Georgia State closing library to public; 2 more robberies... | www.ajc.com
Students robbed on Savannah State University campus - WTVM.com-Columbus, GA News Weather & Sports
Georgia Tech students tied up and robbed in apartment near campus | www.ajc.com
Suspect arrested in armed robbery inside Georgia Tech building | www.ajc.com
etc.

So police can respond quicker than drawing a gun? Only if you have a cop in your back pocket.

To do what? Let the police know where their corpse will be?
Dude. We get it. YOU LOVE GUNS! Let's put a gun in the hands of every man, woman and child in this country ... Including little kindergarteners in Connecticut! But that WILL NOT STOP MASS KILLINGS! And you know it.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Me too!
Me three!

Such hyperbole about how this veto will endanger students.

The students don't want guns on campus. The administration and faculty don't want guns on campus. And lord knows, the parents sure don't either. Their opinions are the only ones that should matter here.
I said it months ago, and I meant it. I would not have my kids attend college on an open carry campus. And that's exactly what the universities feared.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Dude. We get it. YOU LOVE GUNS! Let's put a gun in the hands of every man, woman and child in this country ... Including little kindergarteners in Connecticut! But that WILL NOT STOP MASS KILLINGS! And you know it.
2nd Amendment in Action: Armed Driver Stops Attempted Mass Shooting - Breitbart
5 Times Concealed Carry Holders Stopped Mass Shootings

Seems you're wrong...shocking.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
As someone who actually works on a college campus, unlike the vast majority of the pro-campus carry loons in this state, I am once again proud of Deal doing the right thing. Guns have no place on a college campus, no matter who is carrying them.

And to the poster who says that the people against campus carry are the minority, think again. I don't give two sh88ts what people who don't spend their everyday on a campus think about whether guns belong there or not. The vast majority of students, faculty, administration, and staff are in agreement that guns DO NOT belong on a campus, and they have the stats and facts to back up their argument.
If colleges are to allow students and faculty to carry firearms onto campus, that decision should be made by the college itself, not forced upon it by the state. Place the decision in the hands of the very people who would suffer liability in case of a gun fiasco.

That's just the problem with legislators who vote for guns everywhere--they and their buddies at the NRA are completely shielded from liability for their actions. Imagine if they were suddenly on the hook! All of a sudden I think you'd see a massive attempt to reign in anti-personnel guns without undue deference to the gun nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta