Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:03 PM

2,518 posts, read 1,868,590 times

Advertisements

Many of the school systems got out for summer on May 25. Traffic is always much lighter when school is not in session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:33 PM
bu2

23,869 posts, read 14,647,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
ive not officially moved yet but have been spending time in Atlanta the last few weeks. I've not yet experienced the horrible traffic yet and have driven all over this place. What I've noticed is that it's not really the traffic per se, it's how spread out everything is. For example, I was in Roswell near Brookfield cointry club and wanted to go check out white pillar cc right "next door" in Alpharetta ... And b/c there was no direct way to get there, it took about 25 minutes to go the approx. 10 miles. . . Not due to traffic but two lane roads, stop signs, lights, ec.
That's a distinct part of why Atlanta's traffic is so bad. The arterial road system is very undeveloped, one of the worst in the country.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:39 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,266,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
Not sure about the eployment as of yet, but my industry is pretty small. Based on my research, I'd either be in downtown ATL or Duluth or Norcross (daycare services seem to be limited in both areas). I don't I'd mind a commute so long as I'm near MARTA. In Decatur I see there is the Kensington Station, but nothing else, which is strange. I'm looking at the zip codeds you provided now. Thanks!

Kensington Station is not in Decatur. I know that it's called that, but it isn't.
There is a Marta station in downtown Decatur called . Here's a street view. This is on Church street just south of the intersection of Ponce De Leon and Church street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7746...7i13312!8i6656

If you're at the entrance of the station, within one block is almost 20 restaurants.

Kensington is on the border of sketchy neighborhoods except for Avondale Estates to the north. But Avondale is probably more expensive than what you want.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:05 AM

11,668 posts, read 7,814,305 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are moving from Chicago to the ATL area soon. Before I pose my questions, let me follow the "sticky" guidelines first:

1. We plan on renting to start, so our budget is no more than $1,100 / mo.
2. We need to rent a house because we have a few cats.
3. My industry, commercial real estate, has job concentrated primarily in ATL, so I would definitely commute via public transportation.
4. We have a one-year-old, so daycare is a necessity.
5. We prefer the suburban life, but a suburban/urban mix is doable since we like to get out from time to time.
6. Definitely need easy access to public transportation.
7. We prefer a mixed area...not predominantly anything. But maybe more "family" oriented.

I hear a lot of people complain about the traffic, but I'm curious to know exactly how bad it truly is - which is often relative to where you come from (i.e. born there or moved from somewhere else). In Chicago, it takes me about 40 minutes to get to work on the train, and about an hour if I have to drive. Would the commute be similar if I moved to Alpharetta or Marietta? As stated above, the commercial real estate industry seems to be very concentrated to the downtown ATL area, so I'm thinking my options for employment will be rather limited (considering that I manage high-rise buildings).

Also, what are some other suggestions for good suburban areas with easy access to the city? Thanks in advance!
I really need to chime in my $0.02 as I am a citizen of Atlanta that has also lived in Chicago and know how flexible and easy it is to get around in Chicago. I cannot believe that noone here has mentioned that MARTA does not exist anywhere outside of I-285 except in North Fulton along GA-400 but the setup there - you may as well just drive. Its much faster to drive than to use those busses (I know because due to the scheduling it took me 3 hours one way to commute from LaVista Rd to Haynes Bridge and 4 different transfers, where as in a car its only 30 minutes. Im not exaggerating either.)

First, I really need to say this, don't make a dependency on moving next to MARTA, there's a 90% chance that you will never use it even if you do. I have lived here since 93 and NEVER have I had a job that was accessible to MARTA. The only real thing MARTA is good for is by-passing traffic during events downtown, like a Football Game, New Years Party, ect or basically, unless you work Downtown, it's useless. Also, even if you do decide to use MARTA, There's a good possibility that if you decide to use a train, you will either need to drive a fair distance to it, or bus to one. The trains here are nowhere NEAR as accessible as the CCT "EL" or the Metra Trains in Chicago.

Second - you're not getting a $1,100 RENTAL HOME in the areas you listed, thats barely enough for an 2 Bedroom apartment in those areas, especially for areas like Alpharetta, Roswell / Sandy Springs. You MIGHT be able to get away with it in Duluth but you will be pushing it. Norcross, stay away from. Norcross has gang problems, not quite like Chicago has but its still nothing to play fool hardy with.

Third - You're GOING to be driving, alot... this place isn't like Chicago at all. Yes buses and trains do exist but the overall mass transit system is so inefficient and ineffective that overall driving is still the more effective way to go unless your job / home are both practically off the transit system which is a long shot. You seem very transit orientated and I just really need to let you know that if you come here with the mindset of commuting via transit you will be in for a huge disapointment. Is it POSSIBLE? YES, but its far from efficient, there are too many transfers necessary to make it worth while and there's no trains outside of I-285 unless you live in Sandy Springs. The best chance you may have is finding a home near your job but keep in mind most jobs that pay anything decent are either in Downtown or North Fulton, neither of which $1,100 will accommodate for unless you choose an apartment.

Fourth - The traffic here isn't a bad as Chicago, no..and you'll be quite pleased to find there are no toll-roads here either, however; there are also far less alternative routes so when you are stuck in traffic...thats it..you're stuck. There ARE other routes but most of them travel through congested suburbans areas of which you may aswell just stay on the highway.
Morning Rush Hour Expected commute times:
Alpharetta to Downtown Atlanta: between 45 minutes to 1 Hour.
Sandy Springs to Downtown Atlanta: about 30 minutes.
Duluth to Downtown Atlanta:
WITH PeachPass Toll: 45 minutes - 1 Hour
WITHOUT PeachPass: Up to 1.5 Hours
Marietta to Downtown Atlanta: 20 - 40 minutes.

The transportation system here in Atlanta is horrible at best in comparison to Chicago's. We do have larger highways, but Chicago has ten times as many alternative routes and methods of getting around. There's just simply put no way that you're going to avoid traffic here unless you live right by your job.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Wow! Nothing below $2,200 / month in those zipcodes. I'm looking for something more in the $1,200 - $1,400 range.
I..also need to note, Most of Decatur is inner city and happens to be prime territory of Dekalb County. As in, if the area isnt run down or infested with crime its built up and highly protected because its ease of access to downtown, Emory State University, multiple parks and other places like Little Five Points. Also some million dollar homes along the Ponce De Leon Corridor and several homes upward $500k. No, Decatur is not cheap. If you're looking for $1,400 range thats more doable for renting a house, but it wont be in Decatur if you're looking for some place safe that is. At $1,400 you would probably do best in Gwinnett County for the best bang for the buck home per-se. I can't think of anyplace within or near I-285 that I would feel "safe" at that price range. Lawrenceville, Duluth, Suwanee (pushing it), Buford (kind of pushing it) - be prepared to battle traffic though. I-85 is a nightmare during rush hours. Selecting an apartment you will beable to get into Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs very easily at $1,400 - those are very safe areas. Sandy Springs is also very convenient. Thing is, for housing here in the city, you have to be a pretty decent ways away from I-285 to find "safe" and "affordable" homes. Marietta being about as close as you can get but most of the homes there are older and not local to the interstate.

You see you're coming from a city that has instilled mixed zoning, live work life style, and ways to defeat traffic that simply dont exist here in Atlanta on a wide spread and in the areas that they do, the cost of living is inflated due to demand.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:20 PM

79 posts, read 108,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I really need to chime in my $0.02 as I am a citizen of Atlanta that has also lived in Chicago and know how flexible and easy it is to get around in Chicago. I cannot believe that noone here has mentioned that MARTA does not exist anywhere outside of I-285 except in North Fulton along GA-400 but the setup there - you may as well just drive. Its much faster to drive than to use those busses (I know because due to the scheduling it took me 3 hours one way to commute from LaVista Rd to Haynes Bridge and 4 different transfers, where as in a car its only 30 minutes. Im not exaggerating either.)

First, I really need to say this, don't make a dependency on moving next to MARTA, there's a 90% chance that you will never use it even if you do. I have lived here since 93 and NEVER have I had a job that was accessible to MARTA. The only real thing MARTA is good for is by-passing traffic during events downtown, like a Football Game, New Years Party, ect or basically, unless you work Downtown, it's useless. Also, even if you do decide to use MARTA, There's a good possibility that if you decide to use a train, you will either need to drive a fair distance to it, or bus to one. The trains here are nowhere NEAR as accessible as the CCT "EL" or the Metra Trains in Chicago.

Second - you're not getting a $1,100 RENTAL HOME in the areas you listed, thats barely enough for an 2 Bedroom apartment in those areas, especially for areas like Alpharetta, Roswell / Sandy Springs. You MIGHT be able to get away with it in Duluth but you will be pushing it. Norcross, stay away from. Norcross has gang problems, not quite like Chicago has but its still nothing to play fool hardy with.

Third - You're GOING to be driving, alot... this place isn't like Chicago at all. Yes buses and trains do exist but the overall mass transit system is so inefficient and ineffective that overall driving is still the more effective way to go unless your job / home are both practically off the transit system which is a long shot. You seem very transit orientated and I just really need to let you know that if you come here with the mindset of commuting via transit you will be in for a huge disapointment. Is it POSSIBLE? YES, but its far from efficient, there are too many transfers necessary to make it worth while and there's no trains outside of I-285 unless you live in Sandy Springs. The best chance you may have is finding a home near your job but keep in mind most jobs that pay anything decent are either in Downtown or North Fulton, neither of which $1,100 will accommodate for unless you choose an apartment.

Fourth - The traffic here isn't a bad as Chicago, no..and you'll be quite pleased to find there are no toll-roads here either, however; there are also far less alternative routes so when you are stuck in traffic...thats it..you're stuck. There ARE other routes but most of them travel through congested suburbans areas of which you may aswell just stay on the highway.
Morning Rush Hour Expected commute times:
Alpharetta to Downtown Atlanta: between 45 minutes to 1 Hour.
Sandy Springs to Downtown Atlanta: about 30 minutes.
Duluth to Downtown Atlanta:
WITH PeachPass Toll: 45 minutes - 1 Hour
WITHOUT PeachPass: Up to 1.5 Hours
Marietta to Downtown Atlanta: 20 - 40 minutes.

The transportation system here in Atlanta is horrible at best in comparison to Chicago's. We do have larger highways, but Chicago has ten times as many alternative routes and methods of getting around. There's just simply put no way that you're going to avoid traffic here unless you live right by your job.

Thanks for that! I'd pretty much given up on relying on public transportation. Driving it is! Very, very informative

Old 06-24-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I..also need to note, Most of Decatur is inner city and happens to be prime territory of Dekalb County. As in, if the area isnt run down or infested with crime its built up and highly protected because its ease of access to downtown, Emory State University, multiple parks and other places like Little Five Points. Also some million dollar homes along the Ponce De Leon Corridor and several homes upward $500k. No, Decatur is not cheap. If you're looking for $1,400 range thats more doable for renting a house, but it wont be in Decatur if you're looking for some place safe that is. At $1,400 you would probably do best in Gwinnett County for the best bang for the buck home per-se. I can't think of anyplace within or near I-285 that I would feel "safe" at that price range. Lawrenceville, Duluth, Suwanee (pushing it), Buford (kind of pushing it) - be prepared to battle traffic though. I-85 is a nightmare during rush hours. Selecting an apartment you will beable to get into Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs very easily at $1,400 - those are very safe areas. Sandy Springs is also very convenient. Thing is, for housing here in the city, you have to be a pretty decent ways away from I-285 to find "safe" and "affordable" homes. Marietta being about as close as you can get but most of the homes there are older and not local to the interstate.

You see you're coming from a city that has instilled mixed zoning, live work life style, and ways to defeat traffic that simply dont exist here in Atlanta on a wide spread and in the areas that they do, the cost of living is inflated due to demand.
Wow! I had heard so many great things about Decatur being one of the safest places, all around. We've been looking at Roswell, Duluth, and Sandy Springs lately, and although I've seen a few SF home rentals, there weren't that many. We've pretty much eliminated Alpharetta from the equation. Marietta may still be a possibility...our current home here in Chicago was built in 1925 (renovated), so older homes won't bother us. If I end up working downtown, where will I park? And what does it cost on average?

Geeze, this is proving to be so much worse than I'd originally thought. Atlanta's cost of living was supposed to be lower than Chicago. Much lower. I can get a 3 bedroom in a nice suburb of Chicago for $1,200 - $1,400 easily. In the city there is no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood anymore, so I won't even compare.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
You got it.

Outside of Downtown and Midtown (and even in Downtown and Midtown), parking will generally be pretty ample.

Monthly rates vary but generally should not as high as the parking rates in Central Chicago.

In Central Atlanta (primarily Downtown, Midtown and Buckhead), garage parking rates can run from as low as $65/month to as high as $175/month in some cases. Generally, you probably won't have to budget more than $150/month on the high end for garage parking in Central Atlanta if you end up working in Downtown, Midtown or Buckhead. Garage parking will be even cheaper (most likely far cheaper) in areas like Perimeter Center and Cumberland, if needed.

Outside of Downtown, Midtown and much of Buckhead, the business districts will most likely largely be suburban-style business parks where you just drive and park.

Great info. Thanks

Old 06-25-2016, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Wow! I had heard so many great things about Decatur being one of the safest places, all around. We've been looking at Roswell, Duluth, and Sandy Springs lately, and although I've seen a few SF home rentals, there weren't that many. We've pretty much eliminated Alpharetta from the equation. Marietta may still be a possibility...our current home here in Chicago was built in 1925 (renovated), so older homes won't bother us. If I end up working downtown, where will I park? And what does it cost on average?

Geeze, this is proving to be so much worse than I'd originally thought. Atlanta's cost of living was supposed to be lower than Chicago. Much lower. I can get a 3 bedroom in a nice suburb of Chicago for $1,200 - $1,400 easily. In the city there is no such thing as a "safe" neighborhood anymore, so I won't even compare.

Although Atlanta isn't a Chicago, It is approaching 7 million people in its metro area and its running out of room to grow, with more growth being pushed back by environmentalist and its crippling infrastructure that is designed for a city of about 3 million. Because of that and high demand to live here, the cost of rent / mortgages have gone WAY up over especially the last decade. Cost of living in Chicago is still higher, we don't have tolls, our fuel costs are lower. $1,200 - $1,400 a month is still doable for a 2 - 3 Bedroom home, just not in the areas you listed because those are Atlanta's prime areas local to many high end jobs and several of them are apart of Fulton County (asside from Norcross and Decatur) of whom have to pay extra tax.

Parking downtown in much more convenient than it is in Chicago and is much cheaper too. You won't have any issues here. Also like most major cities many businesses offer parking passes to their own or local parking garages. I havent really ever worked downtown and pray I never have to. Its almost impossible to escape downtown during Rush Hour. I do not know what the parking rate is but I've seen it anywhere between $5.00 and $7.50 a day if my memory serves me right. (When I lived in Seattle I was paying $9.00 so this was a steal)

Old 06-25-2016, 05:27 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,977,520 times
Quote:

You're talking about the Decatur ADDRESS area, which is quite large and can be very sketchy in spots. Decatur itself is almost exclusively upscale or at least very nice and has one of the best school districts in the state. I don't expect the city of Decatur to control what happens in the expansive unincorporated DeKalb County that simply has a Decatur address by name only. That is not what is widely considered Decatur and people with questions about it are usually advised to seek something inside Decatur city limits to be safe if that's where there is an interest.

What is Emory State University? Was that supposed to be a joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta