Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 11:03 AM

4,411 posts, read 3,432,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalashov View Post
It's not dead for me. The relevant portion is:

Yes, I saw that the first time you posted that stat. I was simply pointing out how the available funds are represented for each account at current balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 11:59 AM

261 posts, read 216,035 times
I still think this, which I posted earlier, is by far the most insightful treatment of the topic of funding priorities and regulatory hurdles for highways vs. transit:

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/res...5_beimborn.pdf

Old 07-02-2016, 01:19 PM

391 posts, read 283,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
But they're not necesarily the majority of suburbs in Europe.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:24 PM

391 posts, read 283,465 times
Quote:
Somewhat. Things are evolving more in that direction, in strictly relative terms, but the limitations are stark and have been extensively discussed in this thread. The short version is that we've got a few pockets of somewhat usable (if rather low-density) urbanism in a huge ocean of highway sprawl, which means, in effect, that a car is required regardless. Absent regionally integrated planning vision and investment, it'll continue to be that way.

It hardly needs to turn into Paris, Barcelona or London to be viable.
Absolutely true. Islands of urbanity don't count as true urbanity if most people have to drive there. That's basically kitschy drive-to urbanism. So yes, it's definitely a regional problem, not just a local one. All of you suburbia defenders' knee-jerk reaction will be like, "We got urbanity in the suburbs too. Our suburbs have walkability too!". Yeah, maybe several blocks of it and then it disappears.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:16 PM

I've heard folks occasionally suggest that the formal presence of sidewalks on something like Northpoint Pkwy is an invitation to walk, if I really wanted to, and that if I don't, it merely serves to prove their point that nobody actually wants to walk, that car = freedom, etc.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:50 PM

31,996 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Not "as far as the eye can see", but they certainly exist. And all of the places you showed are considerably more dense and compact than the average Metro Atlanta exurban cul-de-sac.
So are we talking about density or car-dependency?

As these locations show, you can have fairly dense residential areas that are still built around the automobile rather than pedestrians.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So are we talking about density or car-dependency?
The question presumes that the two are not intimately related.

But yes, car-oriented development exists everywhere. This has already been acknowledged. One of the downsides of being a major global cultural centre is that there's eclecticism, room for copying even bad ideas. :-)

Still, one would not say that most of Paris looks like this, or that one can scarcely find anything else in France. That's the more significant issue.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:11 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,711,400 times
Today is the moment I realized that I want to major in Urban Planning/ and actually take it seriously. I went out today to simply go to the store (Gas Station store at that), a trip that for many around the world would take 10 minutes maximum. It took me an hour (round trip) and I'm pretty tall so I walk faster than most people. Not only was it unnecessarily long, it didn't even feel like I traveled a long distance. It was just a trip past single family housing. When I google how far I traveled, it was about 2 miles. Whoever created a street design where it takes an hour to walk 2 miles is an idiot. I could easily cut across people's yards and the high school to save time (many people do) but I don't want to trespass. It's just ridiculous that anyone would think completely separating neighborhoods whose street grids could easily interact is a sensible idea, even for driving. The first thing a developer should do when building a neighborhood should be to make it acessable, something many of our so called planners missed.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Today is the moment I realized that I want to major in Urban Planning/ and actually take it seriously. I went out today to simply go to the store (Gas Station store at that), a trip that for many around the world would take 10 minutes maximum. It took me an hour (round trip) and I'm pretty tall so I walk faster than most people. Not only was it unnecessarily long, it didn't even feel like I traveled a long distance. It was just a trip past single family housing. When I google how far I traveled, it was about 2 miles. Whoever created a street design where it takes an hour to walk 2 miles is an idiot. I could easily cut across people's yards and the high school to save time (many people do) but I don't want to trespass. It's just ridiculous that anyone would think completely separating neighborhoods whose street grids could easily interact is a sensible idea, even for driving. The first thing a developer should do when building a neighborhood should be to make it acessable, something many of our so called planners missed.
Testify.

The other problem is that you probably had to walk from your residentially zoned house area to the commercially zoned gas station area. That's a pretty contrived artifice as well.

Now, the naysayers will say, "WTF? I don't want the house next to me to become a Citgo with a 7-11." What they don't realise is there are intelligent ways to organise these things so that they can coexist in roughly the same neighbourhood without turning your house into a drive-thru.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 PM

31,996 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
The question presumes that the two are not intimately related.
Right, I don't think density and car dependence are necessarily related.

Take areas like Virginia Highland or little Five Points. They're fairly low density but are regarded as walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta