U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:03 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,548,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
They were the 2014 numbers which are x'd out somehow when I visit the site now. (Could've been looking at a different College Park lol) . Still doesn't explain a 96 percent black school. It just doesn't make sense being next to two diverse school zones (Sandy Creek, Riverdale, North Clayton.) Fulton is highly segregated and I don't have a good reason why.

(Edit: I most likely got the black and white demographics mixed up seeing as your numbers are close to mine, just for different races)
There is the possibility that school aged children are disproportionally Black compared to the adult population. This would happen if new families moving into the area were predominiately Black compared to the existing aging population that is there. I don't know if this true but just a possible reason to explain the difference between the School demographics vs. overall City demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:03 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,283,094 times
Forsyth County, just south of Dawsonville, had the fastest growth of black population in the state in 2010.

Today, the community 30 miles north of Atlanta is one of Georgia’s most rapidly diversifying counties. Forsyth, with a population of 175,511, saw the fastest growth of blacks in the state with a nine-fold increase to 4,287 in 2010, compared with 426 a decade earlier, 2010 Census figures released yesterday show.

Georgia County Draws Minorities 24 Years After Oprah Fought KKK - Bloomberg

Old 05-12-2016, 02:51 PM

12 posts, read 10,924 times
Looks like she really helped!

Old 05-13-2016, 01:38 AM

22 posts, read 24,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxifloxacin View Post
I've lived in the West coast and the Midwest for most of my life and never spent much time in the South. The company I work for has a two year project for me in Dawsonville, GA, so I'll be moving there soon with my family. They suggested some apartment complexes in Forsyth county, but after reading a bit about this area and seeing Oprah's video about racists and KKK rallies there, I'm not so sure. (http://youtu.be/WErjPmFulQ0).

Are there more accepting areas in the Atlanta metro area? I don't mind a commute every morning, if my family and I can live comfortably in a safe and accommodating area.
Those days of Forsyth county are over. It's a little more diverse now.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM

14,375 posts, read 7,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
gosh, can you guys take a damn chill pill? we *do* have a relatively recent history of racism in forsyth county, and we can't expect people who have never even heard of the county before to be able to sort through which information on Google is still relevant. that's why they asked.
ITA with this, especially the bold. Forsyth has a relatively recent, racist past and I can see if the OP googled some stuff on Forsyth and all the racism stuff popping up, they might be afraid/hesitant about moving there so sought out resources to see if it is still like that which lead him/her to the forum.

I don't see why people are getting so defensive about it.

On this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Like crime....it depends on where your at. Born in raised in the Great Lakes region, Michigan in particular, it is probably the most segregated part of the country and as a person who is 50, I have experienced much racism there. Metro Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland....very segregated and this breeds and incubates ignorance.

I think Atlanta's rapid growth makes it more reflective of modern racial attitudes. With lots of new housing developments over the last 30 years, there are no neighborhoods where a race of people have dug in and drawn a line in the sand, so to speak. I think rapid population growth mutes a lot of that because people moving into new communities are often of all races. Contrast that with metro areas that have been stagnant for the last 40 years. Neighborhoods and communities were established during the era of high racial intolerance and a lot of them have remained demographically frozen in time. The only thing that shook up this pattern was the housing crisis that allowed record number of people to move up a level in home ownership.

I think Georgia has a fair amount of racist......but they have no place to call their own in the Metro area, due to the areas rapid growth. Once the growth in the metro area stagnates for sometime....then you will start to see such areas ferment.
ITA in regards to segregation and racism. I am from NW Ohio near Detroit and I have a particular historical interest in urbanized centers in the Great Lakes. I do a lot of research on segregation and the black experience in particular in that region.

However, I feel that most places are rather segregated. In regards to racial attitudes, I do think they are different as well in Atlanta versus the Midwest/Great Lakes region and that specific urban centers like Chicago and Detroit in particular are very different from Atlanta on both white and black populations in regards to racial attitudes. IMO blacks in Atlanta have always been much more....I can only say "passive" about racial issues than those in Chicago and Detroit, who were more militant and aggressive. Not making any sort of "greater or less than" comparisons in that regard, but it is just something I have noticed in regards to historical research and attitudes of black people especially in those 3 cities.

I also agree that rapid population growth and development in todays atmosphere has really undone a lot of racial intolerance that began in the 20th century in all 3 of those cities and including in other smaller cities in the Midwest. Neighborhoods today are primarily drawn by income and economic circumstances of the family and not necessarily always on racial lines, though those areas that were previously drawn up along racial lines (usually done by local governments by way of housing initiatives in the Midwest in particular or by local governments enforcing segregation policies in Atlanta/other southern cities) are still the same when they have not received some intense development focus by government/business. So you will still find segregation in those areas along racial lines.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM

22 posts, read 24,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with this, especially the bold. Forsyth has a relatively recent, racist past and I can see if the OP googled some stuff on Forsyth and all the racism stuff popping up, they might be afraid/hesitant about moving there so sought out resources to see if it is still like that which lead him/her to the forum.

I don't see why people are getting so defensive about it.

Google is a terrible source for unbiased information, though. The majority of articles are either from 30 years ago, or written by racists themselves today. The best way to get a feel of any place is to speak to people living there, and I hope OP has a better idea of what it's like in Forsyth today.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:10 PM

12,994 posts, read 17,113,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Wouldn't think you would see too many in Illinois. They didn't secede.

That's an Illinois plate on the back. I took that picture about eight months ago at a rest area in Missouri.

For that matter, the most heavily Confederate-decorated vehicle I'd ever seen was a mid-1990s-model Dodge Ram 3500 at a gas station off I-57 in Mt. Vernon, IL. That one had Illinois plates too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I have on multiple occasions heard different political observers remark that if the Philadelphia metro area were to be taken out of Pennsylvania, the result would be a state that was similar to Alabama politically and culturally.
Quite frankly, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard a political pundit say. Here's why:

White vote percentage for Barack Obama by county in Pennsylvania and Alabama (2012)

81% - Philadelphia County
61% - Lackawanna County
53% - Erie County
50% - Montgomery County
49% - Allegheny County
49% - Delaware County
48% - Luzerne County
46% - Bucks County
46% - Lehigh County
46% - Monroe County
46% - Northampton County
45% - Centre County
44% - PENNSYLVANIA
43% - Carbon County
43% - Chester County
43% - Mercer County
42% - Berks County
41% - Beaver County
41% - Clinton County
41% - Fayette County
41% - Lawrence County
41% - Wyoming County
40% - Columbia County
40% - Elk County
39% - Dauphin County
39% - Schuylkill County
39% - Warren County
39% - Washington County
37% - Greene County
37% - Pike County
36% - Cambria County
36% - Crawford County

36% - Greene County
36% - Indiana County
36% - Montour County
36% - Northumberland County
36% - Susquehanna County
35% - Cumberland County
35% - Wayne County
34% - Bradford County
34% - Lancaster County
34% - Westmoreland County
33% - Venango County
32% - Cameron County
32% - Sullivan County
32% - York County
31% - Adams County
31% - Clearfield County
31% - McKean County
30% - Lebanon County
29% - Blair County
29% - Butler County
29% - Tioga County
29% - Union County
28% - Armstrong County
28% - Clarion County

28% - Colbert County
28% - Snyder County
27% - Lauderdale County
27% - Lycoming County
27% - Perry County

26% - Franklin County
26% - Jackson County

25% - Franklin County
25% - Huntingdon County

25% - Jefferson County
25% - Lawrence County
25% - Russell County

24% - Jefferson County
24% - Juniata County
24% - Potter County
24% - Somerset County

24% - Sumter County
23% - Bullock County

23% - Mifflin County
23% - Perry County
22% - Forest County
22% - Lowndes County
22% - Macon County
21% - Lee County
21% - Madison County

20% - Bedford County
20% - DeKalb County
20% - Montgomery County
19% - Etowah County
19% - Wilcox County
19% - Tuscaloosa County
18% - Calhoun County
18% - Cherokee County

18% - Fulton County
18% - Limestone County
18% - Marshall County
18% - Mobile County
18% - Morgan County
18% - Walker County
17% - Chambers County
17% - Conecuh County
16% - ALABAMA
16% - Barbour County
16% - Dallas County
16% - Marion County
16% - Talladega County
16% - Coosa County
15% - Baldwin County
15% - Hale County
14% - Butler County
14% - Clay County
14% - Cullman County
14% - Lamar County
14% - Randolph County
13% - Escambia County
13% - Fayette County
13% - Shelby County
13% - Tallapoosa County
13% - Winston County
12% - Choctaw County
12% - Cleburne County
12% - Crenshaw County
12% - Dale County
12% - Marengo County
12% - Monroe County
12% - Pickens County
12% - Pike County
12% - Washington County
11% - Autauga County
11% - Bibb County
11% - Blount County
11% - Clarke County
11% - Covington County
10% - Chilton County
10% - Elmore County
10% - Geneva County
10% - Henry County
10% - St. Clair County
9% - Coffee County
9% - Houston County

(NOTE: Counties in Pennsylvania are shaded in BLUE. Counties in Alabama are shaded in RED. Each state has 67 counties.)

Only eight counties in Pennsylvania gave Barack Obama less than 25% of the white vote in 2012, and only eight counties in Alabama gave Obama 25% or more of the white vote. The most conservative counties in Pennsylvania still have a more liberal white population than the state of Alabama at large. If rural Pennsylvania had even remotely similar politics to Alabama, then this list wouldn't be nearly as stratified as it is. Turns out the lie was repeated often enough to become the truth.

So Barack Obama got less than 20% of the white vote in one Pennsylvania county? He also got less than 20% of the white vote in one Iowa county, one Illinois county, one Indiana county, two Ohio counties, and six California counties. How come political pundits don't give those other states any **** for it? Probably because it'd require some actual research to find that out, and research requires not only effort, but a mind open to the possibility of being wrong. If central Pennsylvania is "Alabama," then so are western and southern Ohio, all of Indiana outside of Indianapolis, central and southern Illinois, western Iowa, and even the interior of southern California. Pennsylvania really doesn't have a monopoly on rednecks outside the South.

Yeah, there's some yahoo near Ligonier, PA who flies a Confederate flag by the front door of his house. So what? I've seen at least one every time I've vacationed in California, and I see more in the Athens area per month than I ever saw in the 15 years I spent in western Pennsylvania. In fact, I see at least one here every day that I leave the house. On a related note, western Pennsylvania is different enough from the South for me to have experienced a culture shock when I moved here. Georgia's grown on me in time, but I was miserable for the first three to five years that I was here.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 PM

13,094 posts, read 15,900,406 times
Since we're talking about racism and the rebel flag and stuff like that ... THIS is one of the most bizarre stories you will ever read!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/09/wo...e-iphone-share

Old 05-16-2016, 09:27 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Since we're talking about racism and the rebel flag and stuff like that ... THIS is one of the most bizarre stories you will ever read!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/09/wo...e-iphone-share
wow; that is indeed, bizarre. just goes to show you that the US is not in its own little bubble, whether we want to believe it is or not.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 AM

1,462 posts, read 826,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Oh good Lord God almighty ...
LOL. Here we go.Ive notice it seems to be people on the West Coast who have these preconceived notions about the South being the same throughout the South and especially Atlanta.

Its always like a revelation that is may be different culturally but racism is hardly a problem unless you are looking to find it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or