U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:58 AM

3,168 posts, read 3,032,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
https://martaguide.com/2016/05/11/wh...-as-you-think/
While MARTA is only 48 miles of track, the 50/50 split allowed the system to reinvest in maintenance and avoid the disasters that have plagued WMATA and BART (both nearly the same age.)

Yes, that's a cogent point made here in your reference to the comparative woes of those other 2 systems. In particular, I recall D.C'ers looking down their district noses at our "inferior" transit system. The worm has turned and the collective problems of the WMATA are an unmitigated disaster zone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:39 AM

1,043 posts, read 799,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
While we're at it, the track-level station markings at Lindbergh and Oakland City need to be made system-wide. No more of those ugly orange-background-white-text labels on the Red and Gold lines.
Actually, that's a full-scale signage upgrade, and it is progressing (albeit slowly). For example, while the Lenox platform still has the old signage, the station entrance and mezzanine on the Lenox Square side have had most of their signs replaced.

- skbl17

Old 05-11-2016, 11:55 AM

4,941 posts, read 3,990,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Actually, that's a full-scale signage upgrade, and it is progressing (albeit slowly). For example, while the Lenox platform still has the old signage, the station entrance and mezzanine on the Lenox Square side have had most of their signs replaced.

- skbl17
I have noticed that a few of the stations have newer station pylons, which announce what station it is just outside the station, in larger fonts. I think they look better.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:00 PM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
Quote:
I have noticed that a few of the stations have newer station pylons, which announce what station it is just outside the station, in larger fonts. I think they look better.
Saw the ones at Peachtree Center got upgraded.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,727,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

- skbl17
Quote:
Got pics / fact sheets? I'm curious now and can't just hop down to give it a look...

Old 05-11-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
https://martaguide.com/2016/05/11/wh...-as-you-think/
While MARTA is only 48 miles of track, the 50/50 split allowed the system to reinvest in maintenance and avoid the disasters that have plagued WMATA and BART (both nearly the same age.)
The sad truth is that this isn't limited to transit. The American Society of Civil Engineers estimates that some $3.6 trillion would have been needed to be invested between 2013 and 2020 to bring the nation's infrastructure to a position of good repair, let alone expanded to meet new demands.

I'm not sure i'd call the 50/50 split good, since it simultaneously limited funds for maintenance/capitol upgrades as much as it secured it, but we are in a much better position than WMATA. We aren't suffocating people in our tunnels, and are actually renovating the tunnel ventilation right now.

There really shouldn't be a debate over expand or maintain, and there should never come a time when maintenance takes the back-burner. Reality says otherwise, of course.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:12 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,990,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Got pics / fact sheets? I'm curious now and can't just hop down to give it a look...
Here's one at Five Points. I also really like that phoenix art on the station itself.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:48 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,147,338 times
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...fiscal-17.html
Quote:
Besides keeping the base fare at $2.50, next year’s spending plan would provide Wi-Fi service on MARTA buses and at the system’s rail stations. The budget also calls for purchasing new buses.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Nice, so I guess they're done testing then? It'll be nice to see all that roll out, especially in the underground stations where there's no cell reception or mobile data.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:13 AM

MARTA Makeover Update

Quote:
The MARTA Makeover for Five Points and Garnett stations is in progress! MARTA and Central Atlanta Progress have partnered to implement our short-term recommendations, including new wayfinding signage and a mural at Five Points station. More enhancements at both stations to come!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or