Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 04:24 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,253,200 times

Advertisements

What we really need, is a free Uber to MARTA transfer, and a $2.50 discounted MARTA to Uber transfer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 04:44 PM

1,180 posts, read 982,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What we really need, is a free Uber to MARTA transfer, and a $2.50 discounted MARTA to Uber transfer.
The companies themselves were offering this during the bridge collapse. Free tranfer between MARTA and a ride hailing company? Someone's losing money.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:15 PM

I think it's about $15 for me to Uber to the Midtown MARTA station, then I guess it's $5 for 2 trips MARTA fare if I'm heading to the airport and then back when I fly in. Then $15 to Uber back to the condo. So about $35 for the whole deal.

If the MARTA fare was free with transfer (or $2.50 off of the Uber fare in the other direction, which is the same thing), then that's like almost 15% off.

And the deal gets a lot better if you live closer to a station, and the Uber fare is normally $6. Then the whole round trip is $12 instead of $17. About 30% off.

It would increase ridership for both, so that would be their angle in it. Give a better deal, build more regular habit customers and then make more money in the end.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:36 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
That's one way. The Seattle Streetcar did that when you just paid money.

The Phoenix system had passes that you could buy at the machines, and the transit police just had these little handheld readers that would scan the bar-code to verify a valid pass.

That's something that needs to be put into place as the system grows, if it's not already in place now.
The handheld readers would work great on the future E-fare on smartphones.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM

1,180 posts, read 982,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I think it's about $15 for me to Uber to the Midtown MARTA station, then I guess it's $5 for 2 trips MARTA fare if I'm heading to the airport and then back when I fly in. Then $15 to Uber back to the condo. So about $35 for the whole deal.

If the MARTA fare was free with transfer (or $2.50 off of the Uber fare in the other direction, which is the same thing), then that's like almost 15% off.

And the deal gets a lot better if you live closer to a station, and the Uber fare is normally $6. Then the whole round trip is $12 instead of $17. About 30% off.

It would increase ridership for both, so that would be their angle in it. Give a better deal, build more regular habit customers and then make more money in the end.
If the MARTA fare is free, then how it that benefiting MARTA?

Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 PM

It would have to be worked out so that it's one MARTA trip for free with the transfer from Uber, and not the return $2.50 trip. You only get it once per day or something like that. So MARTA would get a lot more riders, paying half price, but still, a lot more riders.

Likewise, max once per day you get $2.50 off an Uber fare if you transfer from MARTA. The Uber trip to get to MARTA is normal fare.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:20 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
MARTA will pay Kapsch, a Virginia-based IT firm, $8.5 million to build and roll out a mobile payment system system-wide over the next few years.

You would use a mobile app to order and pay for tickets. Once onboard, trains and buses would have “electronic validator” machines to confirm payment.

For an approximately additional $2.9 million, other area transit systems could fully integrate with and use the same mobile ticketing system.

CobbLinc and the State Road & Tollway Authority (SRTA) buses said they expect the mobile ticketing system to be rolled out in 2018.
Goodbye Breeze Card? MARTA To Roll Out Mobile Ticketing System | WABE 90.1 FM

Old 07-06-2017, 08:41 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Well, I wish they would make up their minds. First we have to go get new silver Breeze cards, and now they are talking about doing away with the whole thing and moving it to a smart phone.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I wish they would make up their minds. First we have to go get new silver Breeze cards, and now they are talking about doing away with the whole thing and moving it to a smart phone.
There is nothing in the article saying that MARTA is dumping the Breeze system.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:19 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,705,570 times
I hope, this new mobile payment allows NFC access via Google Wallet or Apple Pay.

ETA: Contract seems to say so
Quote:
The MTS must accommodate customers with no credit cards by offering easy and accessible alternative
ways of payment like prepaid debit cards, Apple Pay, Google Wallet, PayPal and Contractor will
consider adding other digital wallets when they become available.
I would prefer just to pay via my phone but I guess, app it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta