U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 10:56 PM

5,426 posts, read 2,769,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Perhaps that's just a starter set.
Pretty sure it is. There was news that the 2017FY budget included new buses as well. No idea if that's more of the non-articulated Xflyer buses that MARTA's been using, or more articulated buses.

I know more of these would be included in the Nov MARTA tax vote along with the ART routes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:24 AM

22,281 posts, read 16,316,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
MARTA to debut articulated ‘bendy’ buses | Atlanta Intown

In addition to these 18, MARTA has budgeted buying more buses, though I'm not sure if they're all the articulated ones, or more of the 40ft Xcelcior buses that MARTA has been updating its fleet with.
Awesome, can't wait to see these in person today.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 AM

MARTA to debut articulated 'bendy' buses - Atlanta INtown Paper
Went to the ribbon cutting ceremony for MARTA's new articulated buses. 18 will be delivered and implemented on high ridership routes. The most exciting thing was KP said these buses are already implemented with signal priority locators, that will allow quick implementation when the signals themselves are upgraded. Of course the new buses have cameras and WiFi.
KP also talked about the rail-car fleet replacement program.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA to debut articulated 'bendy' buses - Atlanta INtown Paper
Went to the ribbon cutting ceremony for MARTA's new articulated buses. 18 will be delivered and implemented on high ridership routes. The most exciting thing was KP said these buses are already implemented with signal priority locators, that will allow quick implementation when the signals themselves are upgraded. Of course the new buses have cameras and WiFi.
KP also talked about the rail-car fleet replacement program.

Exciting! I like the sound of that signal priority bit, especially considering the signal CnC upgrades the city is slotted as part of the Renew Atlanta bonds. Hopefully the city is working with MARTA over this.

Any details you can share about the rail-fleet replacement program?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Exciting! I like the sound of that signal priority bit, especially considering the signal CnC upgrades the city is slotted as part of the Renew Atlanta bonds. Hopefully the city is working with MARTA over this.

Any details you can share about the rail-fleet replacement program?
Caesar Mitchell was present at the ceremony, so I have a feeling MARTA and CoA are working together. KP specifically mentioned 'city upgrades it's signals' what I felt was in reference to the Renew Atlanta Bond.

The rail-car replacement, no specifics were mentioned, just that they are in the process for finding a vendor to replace all rail-cars and modernize the fleet.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Caesar Mitchell was present at the ceremony, so I have a feeling MARTA and CoA are working together. KP specifically mentioned 'city upgrades it's signals' what I felt was in reference to the Renew Atlanta Bond.

The rail-car replacement, no specifics were mentioned, just that they are in the process for finding a vendor to replace all rail-cars and modernize the fleet.

Holy crud, all the cars? The entire fleet? That's some 340 cars... not a small order at all, considering they cost some $1.5 Mil. a car. It'd be nice to get open gangway train sets... though it'd limit consist flexibility, it would increase capacity. I wonder if anyone makes paired units with open gangway, or modular systems...

Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Holy crud, all the cars? The entire fleet? That's some 340 cars... not a small order at all, considering they cost some $1.5 Mil. a car. It'd be nice to get open gangway train sets... though it'd limit consist flexibility, it would increase capacity. I wonder if anyone makes paired units with open gangway, or modular systems...
I am not a fan of open gangways as it reduces the flexibility of the rail fleet. MARTA's new fleet will most likely look like WMATA's new rail cars.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:25 PM

1,044 posts, read 806,124 times
Replace all the rail cars? I mean, yeah, the CQ310s and CQ311s should go, but the newer Breda CQ312s (the blue seat back cars) are relatively new, with the first cars delivered in 2002 (or was it 2000?)

Might as well just scrap the 310s/311s and keep the 312s.

- skbl17

Old 05-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Replace all the rail cars? I mean, yeah, the CQ310s and CQ311s should go, but the newer Breda CQ312s (the blue seat back cars) are relatively new, with the first cars delivered in 2002 (or was it 2000?)

Might as well just scrap the 310s/311s and keep the 312s.

- skbl17
Maybe they'll wrap the CQ312s' mid-life overhaul into the contract for new trains? They're due for it pretty soon (2 years or so now). All the other CQ310s and CQ211s (still 238 cars) need to be replaced though.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,513,923 times
Quote:
Maybe they'll wrap the CQ312s' mid-life overhaul into the contract for new trains? They're due for it pretty soon (2 years or so now). All the other CQ310s and CQ211s (still 238 cars) need to be replaced though.
CQ312s are sticking around, with their midlife overhaul likely taking place after the new cars (CQ313s?) are delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or