U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:20 PM

4,908 posts, read 3,707,121 times

Advertisements

Funny, I was just thinking about Gangway style cars for MARTA a day or so ago myself. I actually think an A-B-B-A set of cars would do nicely for MARTA, either expanding to 8-cars systemwide, or ordering sets of those plus traditional married pairs (still with gangways though) for 6-car trains and the Bankhead branch. Hopefully whatever is ordered has a better "cruise control" than the current trains that inch up to the speed limit, then practically dump the air dropping speed down as much as 8mph below the limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 06:49 PM

9,558 posts, read 8,619,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Funny, I was just thinking about Gangway style cars for MARTA a day or so ago myself. I actually think an A-B-B-A set of cars would do nicely for MARTA, either expanding to 8-cars systemwide, or ordering sets of those plus traditional married pairs (still with gangways though) for 6-car trains and the Bankhead branch. Hopefully whatever is ordered has a better "cruise control" than the current trains that inch up to the speed limit, then practically dump the air dropping speed down as much as 8mph below the limit.
ABBA? I love Mama Mia!

Old 05-23-2016, 07:00 PM

5,401 posts, read 2,729,112 times
London Underground:

I know MTA is giving articulated subway trains a try, and wonder if MARTA could get pairs with open gangways?

Hopefully MARTA's upgraded control systems will help the trains' smooth travel, and maybe newer trains will have better systems?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM

398 posts, read 299,305 times
MARTA upgraded its bus fleet Monday, rolling out 18 “bendy” buses to serve its more heavily traveled routes.

The 60-foot buses run on compressed natural gas and feature Wi-Fi, onboard cameras and even automatic signalization technology designed to minimize red lights.

“This bus will put us in the forefront of bus technology anywhere in the world,” MARTA General Manager and CEO Keith Parker said during a ribbon-cutting ceremony outside MARTA’s Five Points station.
Atlanta City Council President Ceasar Mitchell recalled that MARTA used a more low-tech version of the big buses – known alternately as “accordion,” “Slinky” or “caterpillar” buses – when the city hosted the Olympic Games in 1996. He said the new buses are just one sign of the progress MARTA has been making in recent years toward becoming a “world-class” transit system.

Parker said the agency also has plans to replace every train in the system during the next five years and improve onboard safety by adding cameras to every bus and train.

“We want to make it so safe on MARTA it would be the dumbest place in the entire Atlanta region to commit a crime,” he said.

Each of the new buses costs $845,000. The buses have up to 56 seats with standing room for up to 67 additional passengers.

The vehicles were manufactured by New Flyer Industries Inc., which is based in Canada and has manufacturing plants in the U.S.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:18 PM

I still have a hard time understanding the need to replace every rail-car in the fleet, unless Kieth includes mid-life overhauls as replacing. The CQ-112s just don't need it... I think.

MARTA was upgrading it's signal control system, and may be looking for trains to take advantage of that? I wonder if the newer trains MARTA has can... or could with the overhaul.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:07 PM

MARTA Deploys 18 Long-Ass Buses for Popular Routes | Curbed

Quote:
MARTA has beefed up its on-street fleet and deployed some seriously long-ass buses for the first time in ages.

This week, MARTA held a ribbon-cutting at Five Points to debut its new roster of 18 articulated buses — aka "bendy" buses — to complement the 565 regular MARTA buses currently cruising the city, Atlanta INtown reports. They're about 20 feet longer than current MARTA busses.

At a cost of $845,000 a pop, the buses boast an accordion-like feature that allows for an expanded interior and much greater capacity. Each articulated bus can haul about 100 people — 53 seated and up to 50 standing. All are Wi-Fi enabled.

Last edited by fourthwarden; 05-26-2016 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: I hate IE

Old 05-26-2016, 05:15 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,476,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I still have a hard time understanding the need to replace every rail-car in the fleet, unless Kieth includes mid-life overhauls as replacing. The CQ-112s just don't need it... I think.

MARTA was upgrading it's signal control system, and may be looking for trains to take advantage of that? I wonder if the newer trains MARTA has can... or could with the overhaul.
The CQ-312s won't be replaced anytime soon.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The CQ-312s won't be replaced anytime soon.

I'd be very surprised too. Again, I suspect Kieth just means that they'll be going in for their mid-life overhaul.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:07 PM

So, just wanna say that, I totally called it.

In his interview with Denis O'Hayer, CEO Parker talked for a brief moment about the Clayton County commuter rail and how it would tie into the regional network (18-19 min mark), and he says that it will be built in such a way that would allow a route from Macon, should one be built, to tie directly into it.

That's the exact kind of thing I've (and a few others here) been pushing and talking about with expanding MARTA commuter rail here in the core metro to accept something like GRTA commuter trains on MARTA tracks.

Also, he mentioned things about MARTA looking to get into the bike share and autonomous car businesses! Exciting and interesting. We'll see how that goes, and if it goes anywhere.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 AM

5,940 posts, read 2,906,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
So, just wanna say that, I totally called it.

In his interview with Denis O'Hayer, CEO Parker talked for a brief moment about the Clayton County commuter rail and how it would tie into the regional network (18-19 min mark), and he says that it will be built in such a way that would allow a route from Macon, should one be built, to tie directly into it.

That's the exact kind of thing I've (and a few others here) been pushing and talking about with expanding MARTA commuter rail here in the core metro to accept something like GRTA commuter trains on MARTA tracks.

Also, he mentioned things about MARTA looking to get into the bike share and autonomous car businesses! Exciting and interesting. We'll see how that goes, and if it goes anywhere.
The most interesting thing here, and totally new to me, is what he said at around 19:50. "When we eventually have service to Doraville..."

He seems to be talking about MARTA building out commuter rail on that railroad corridor. So that would run thru Brookwood, Atlantic Station, Westside. And then it would be ready to go to be adapted to Gwinnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or