Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 AM

15 posts, read 22,140 times

Advertisements

First post here, I know I'm probably asking for an onslaught of negativity, but please bear with me if you care to help.

I'm looking to relocate to the ATL area for work, probably sometime over next winter/spring, and I'm beginning to do research for the move. I actually don't want to move, but I can't ignore the opportunities in my field in ATL any longer, especially considering my current available prospects where I am now. Specifically, a 50-mile radius from the intersection of 85 and 20 downtown is my limit, see attached image for the area circle. (I realize my commute times will impacted)

I'm from the Cincinnati area, but prefer small-town life, and am located about 50 miles west from Cincinnati in Indiana right now. IDEALLY I'd want to be able to replicate this as much as possible, but realize that's impossible, and there are many concerns and differences to consider. I have a wife, and daughter under 10. We homeschool currently so school district choice isn't necessarily a priority. Priorities are as safe and quiet as possible, and affordability is also obviously a concern.

My family and I are not urbanites, we don't really care for night life or the crowds, but we do enjoy outdoor activities such as swimming, hiking, and bicycle trails. (Rail trails, etc) We tend to keep to ourselves but having local activities and community events wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I will no doubt be renting at first, and prefer the privacy and elbow room of rental houses or duplexes over high-rises or apartment complexes. Low crime and good security are concerns, as well as bang-for-buck on cost of living. We live VERY cheap where we are now, which I know will likely not be possible, but don't want to price myself down into rougher, crime-ridden and unsafe areas.

Looking for insight from locals. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
Attached Thumbnails
Relocating - Midwestern small-town life near ATL?-atl_50mile.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:38 AM

199 posts, read 302,815 times
Hey funny thing is da I from Cincinnati, Ohio too, Evanston, Cincinnati, Ohio. I am relocating to Lawrenceville, GA this summer. Am suprised little bit you from Cincinnati. But in North Atlanta they got some nice housing there and low crime. Alpharetta is a good place to live to, or Johns Creek, GA. Atlanta is mostly a urban and suburbs area. They got some good education too, it called Fulton County School System. I will see you there.

Last edited by RNGAnderson; 05-11-2016 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: schools

Old 05-11-2016, 09:47 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,830 times
If you do end up commuting to the downtown area (where 85/20 meet), then you'll want to look south of the city for the lifestyle you are looking for. The areas on the southern edge of your boundary are quite rural, small town lifestyles. Look into areas around Newnan, Senoia, Grantville (basically everywhere they have filmed Walking Dead). On your map, look at the areas between Carrolton and Senoia, roughly. Some of the areas in between are a bit depressed due to a lack of jobs or moving industry, but they definitely offer a rural life with plenty of land and little traffic. I know there are also a lot of small town centers in the area, such as Senoia, that have good restaurants and things to do, while the houses around them are spaced far apart between either large yards or farmland. I say focus on the southern parts of your circle mainly because of traffic. If you plan to commute north into the city, you will have a MUCH shorter commute and deal with MUCH less traffic than coming in from the northern suburbs. Also, the southern areas are less developed and therefore less congested, so they offer more of the lifestyle you are looking for. You'd have to go north of Alpharetta for that in the northern suburbs, and your commute would be at least a couple of hours each way.

All that said, I think you can easily find what you are looking for in this area. We are a large metro, but development has mainly occurred on the north side, leaving southern areas not too far away pretty quiet and rural. Prices will also decrease the farther you get from the city.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
If you do end up commuting to the downtown area (where 85/20 meet), then you'll want to look south of the city for the lifestyle you are looking for. The areas on the southern edge of your boundary are quite rural, small town lifestyles. Look into areas around Newnan, Senoia, Grantville (basically everywhere they have filmed Walking Dead). On your map, look at the areas between Carrolton and Senoia, roughly. Some of the areas in between are a bit depressed due to a lack of jobs or moving industry, but they definitely offer a rural life with plenty of land and little traffic. I know there are also a lot of small town centers in the area, such as Senoia, that have good restaurants and things to do, while the houses around them are spaced far apart between either large yards or farmland. I say focus on the southern parts of your circle mainly because of traffic. If you plan to commute north into the city, you will have a MUCH shorter commute and deal with MUCH less traffic than coming in from the northern suburbs. Also, the southern areas are less developed and therefore less congested, so they offer more of the lifestyle you are looking for. You'd have to go north of Alpharetta for that in the northern suburbs, and your commute would be at least a couple of hours each way.

All that said, I think you can easily find what you are looking for in this area. We are a large metro, but development has mainly occurred on the north side, leaving southern areas not too far away pretty quiet and rural. Prices will also decrease the farther you get from the city.
This may help
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...nlk0qjAW_GoNso

Old 05-11-2016, 10:05 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,952 times
I'm relocating from Columbus so will see you in Atlanta!

I understand what you'r looking for an am searching for the same. Although I live in a Columbus suburb, I'm originally from Eastern Ohio so grew up in a more rural area.

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:08 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times
I recently moved to Madison, GA (about 59 mi from the heart of Atlanta. It is an idyllic little town with some lovely amenities. I am loving life here...close to Atlanta but far enough away.

Madison, GA - Official Website

Also worth consideration is the nearly town of Social Circle, about 11 mi from here going towards Atlanta.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:24 AM

64 posts, read 133,992 times
Quote:
On your map, look at the areas between Carrolton and Senoia, roughly.
As a west ga resident, I will second this. Carrollton, Newnan, Senoia are all good choices. I'd throw in Villa Rica as a consideration as well.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I recently moved to Madison, GA (about 59 mi from the heart of Atlanta. It is an idyllic little town with some lovely amenities. I am loving life here...close to Atlanta but far enough away.

Madison, GA - Official Website

Also worth consideration is the nearly town of Social Circle, about 11 mi from here going towards Atlanta.
Thank you. Madison is probably a bit too far out. I have a contractual hard limit on distance of 60 miles, but I'm giving myself a limit of 50, cause my work location will be varied and change routinely.

I will however look into Social Circle!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:37 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Also take a look at Buford, which is a small city about 35-40 miles north/northeast of Downtown Atlanta with excellent public schools and a rising village-like downtown area with shops, restaurants and a growing artists' colony at the Tannery Row Artists' Colony.

Buford also has many amenities nearby like Lake Lanier (which is a water source and recreational area that is popular with landlocked metro Atlantans) and the Mall of Georgia retail district (which is anchored by one of the largest regional shopping malls on the Eastern Seaboard).

One of the major challenges with Buford can be the traffic during the peak-hour commutes to and from Central Atlanta.

Though the good news is that there are HOT (High Occupancy Toll) lanes on I-85 where one can pay a toll for a slightly quicker trip past the rush hour traffic into and out of the city.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The areas on the southern edge of your boundary are quite rural, small town lifestyles. Look into areas around Newnan, Senoia, Grantville (basically everywhere they have filmed Walking Dead). On your map, look at the areas between Carrolton and Senoia, roughly. .... If you plan to commute north into the city, you will have a MUCH shorter commute and deal with MUCH less traffic than coming in from the northern suburbs. Also, the southern areas are less developed and therefore less congested, so they offer more of the lifestyle you are looking for.

GREAT info. Thank you for sharing. I have family friends on the north side in the Duluth / Norcross area, and yes, the sprawl and congestion is a bit much for my liking, and I do know the commuting would be really tough from the north.

It's good to know what I'm looking for lifestyle wise isn't out of the question, with Metro ATL within 50 miles. That makes this part of the search and prep better received as good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta