U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 AM

9,910 posts, read 6,899,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA's secondary proposal, missing transit along the sections of the BeltLine ABI does not own. found on curbed ATL Outlook: Are Proposed Transit Expansions Enough to Keep Dallas at Bay? - Curbed Atlanta
It is in the original presentation: http://posting.clatl.com/media/pdf/m...esentation.pdf

Looks like this "alternative" trades off LRT on the rest of the Beltline for LRT on Campbellton Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:33 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It is in the original presentation: http://posting.clatl.com/media/pdf/m...esentation.pdf

Looks like this "alternative" trades off LRT on the rest of the Beltline for LRT on Campbellton Road.
As I said before, I would rather see LRT on the BeltLine loop and BRt or ART on Campbellton Rd, but I know politics and race will play into it and the compliant that white areas are getting rail, while black areas get bus. Which we can see from the map is untrue (westside, SW, SE BeltLine LRT), but the politicians will feed into that.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:05 AM

5,940 posts, read 2,908,227 times
I still just simply want to know what "light rail" means, in this context.

New MARTA light rail line for SW Atlanta, in its own right of way, along Campbellton out to 285? Cool.

Super slow Atlanta Streetcar stuck in vehicular traffic on Campbellton Rd? Stupid.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
As I said before, I would rather see LRT on the BeltLine loop and BRt or ART on Campbellton Rd, but I know politics and race will play into it and the compliant that white areas are getting rail, while black areas get bus. Which we can see from the map is untrue (westside, SW, SE BeltLine LRT), but the politicians will feed into that.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I still just simply want to know what "light rail" means, in this context.
Streetcar is a type of light rail that runs in the street. It is like ART vs (true) BRT, both are still busses.

Last edited by jsvh; 05-16-2016 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 11:35 AM

5,940 posts, read 2,908,227 times
Well, Campbellton is not a street, and it's not urban. It's a cars-oriented, quiet suburban road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7028...7i13312!8i6656

Seriously, a streetcar line out into the woods, where there's only one lane for traffic?

This corridor just simply needs a large park&ride MARTA transit center at Greenbriar, with an express/shuttle bus service that runs from there along Langford Pkwy, to Lakewood Station.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Well, Campbellton is not a street, and it's not urban. It's a cars-oriented, quiet suburban road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7028...7i13312!8i6656

Seriously, a streetcar line out into the woods, where there's only one lane for traffic?

This corridor just simply needs a large park&ride MARTA transit center at Greenbriar, with an express/shuttle bus service that runs from there along Langford Pkwy, to Lakewood Station.
The Campbellton Corridor needs good, frequent bus service. Similar in the form of ART. Give the corridor signal priority and bus lanes where available.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:29 AM

Proposed MARTA sales tax in Atlanta holds promise for region - SaportaReport
Quote:
“We are looking at this from a multimodal point of view,” Parker said. “Timing-wise, this could not be coming at a better time. We are doing a comprehensive redo of the way we provide bus service. We’ll have a mixture of different types of buses –articulated buses with Wi-Fi; neighborhood circulators and connections from those neighborhood buses to the heavy-duty routes.”

Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 AM

Lots of good tidbits in that article like:

Quote:
“These will be MARTA-owned and operated assets,” Parker said.
Quote:
MARTA will make sure there is enough flexibility with the project list so that if DeKalb County and the areas of Fulton County outside of Atlanta also decide to increase their MARTA sales tax then the Clifton Corridor rail line another multi-jurisdictional projects could be developed.
Quote:
Mullinax also said the city has not reached a final decision on whether to go for an additional .25 or an additional .50 of a penny sales tax for a five-year transportation referendum. A quarter penny likely allow the city to acquire all the land needed to complete the BeltLine, and half-penny would allow the city to build out the trails on the newly-acquired property.
Quote:
Mayor Reed may be willing to consider free fares [on the streetcar].

“We are actually shifting to an advertisement-based model,” spokeswoman Anne Torres wrote in an email. “While the Mayor is open to the idea, we believe that keeping the fare system in place helps increase the safety and security of passengers. We are also expanding the system to connect to the BeltLine, which will significantly increase ridership.”

Old 05-17-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Lots of good tidbits in that article like:
Maria Saporta is one of the best.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Maria Saporta is one of the best.
True.

Getting the additional .25/.5 sales tax going to complete all of the Beltline land purchases / trail would be huge. I take that to mean that they really are considering funding the full Beltline loop with transit if they get that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or