U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 08:09 AM

686 posts, read 511,582 times

Advertisements

The presentation that Fourthwarden sent the link for is great....like really great.

But

It kinda felt hollow reading it exactly one day after reading of the upcoming MARTA service changes in which many bus services were once again having the frequency reduced.

Fewer buses is never gonna lead to more riders...this trend has to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 08:42 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,735,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I'm shocked Moreland Ave is not on the ART list
The July 7, 2016 Fulton Mayor's presentation on potential projects actually included ART down Moreland from Inman Park Station to McDonough Rd.

This was the same presentation that also included the Northwest Green Line extension, as well as a Marietta Blvd ART route from Bankhead to the Moores Mill transit center.

Both of these routes were planned to simply be 'Supporting Local' routes per the map on the COA factsheet, so I think it indicates that MARTA is willing to add more routes than it currently has planned to the list of ART routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
The presentation that Fourthwarden sent the link for is great....like really great.

But

It kinda felt hollow reading it exactly one day after reading of the upcoming MARTA service changes in which many bus services were once again having the frequency reduced.

I asked for the full COA, so we'll see if I get it and if it sheds any context on what's happening with the bus routes in the short-term. My hunch is that MARTA is slowly shifting its routes around towards those planned in the COA, and we're in the middle of a lot of this shifting.

For now, we're seeing a few routes get realigned, a few get cut, a few new ones, a few add frequency, a few loose frequency, etc. We've see that for a few rounds of bus service changes now, too, and I am rather certain this is all the symptom of trying to slowly realign everything.

As we get closer to the final COA service plan, and as we get more buses in general, I'm thinking we'll see better service overall.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post

But

Houston METRO implemented a new bus change, where they focused resources on high-frequency routes, but cut others.
https://urbanedge.blogs.rice.edu/201.../#.WEgi9PkrLIU

Old 12-10-2016, 04:47 PM

5,943 posts, read 2,913,549 times
Hey guys, so this is pretty funny. I was looking at Devmap (awesome site), looking at all the up and coming Midtown towers, and check out this description paragraph for Atlantic House:

http://devmap.io/developments/1163-west-peachtree

Quote:
Novare plans to build a 40,000 unit, 32-story tower with approximately 100,000 square feet of retail at street level under the tower, garage (with Einstein’s taking a space), and below street. New Marta rail station (N4.5) will be constructed and accessible via the lowest level of the parking deck. Multiple helipads will be operated by ImagineAir for air taxi purposes. The development will have frontage on 14th Street, West Peachtree Street and 13th Street. A 50,000+ space, 30-level parking deck will be fully enclosed with entrances proposed on 14th and West Peachtree Streets. The actual residential tower will be located at the corner of West Peachtree and 13th Street, with primary access from those streets as well as the new Marta rail station. Permit Filed on 01/12/2015 for $188,860.00
Obviously, that's totally false, there's no plan for that (I think?!??!?). But, now it has me thinking/dreaming. Could Midtown support infill stations, at 13th St or 5th St? Would that even be technically possible? Would the spacing make any sense?

Honestly, it is kind of a long walk to a station, if you're about halfway between those stations. I bet if they were building out MARTA now, they probably would have packed more stations in there, spaced more like the Downtown station spacing.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:58 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Hey guys, so this is pretty funny. I was looking at Devmap (awesome site), looking at all the up and coming Midtown towers, and check out this description paragraph for Atlantic House:

Obviously, that's totally false, there's no plan for that (I think?!??!?). But, now it has me thinking/dreaming. Could Midtown support infill stations, at 13th St or 5th St? Would that even be technically possible? Would the spacing make any sense?

Honestly, it is kind of a long walk to a station, if you're about halfway between those stations. I bet if they were building out MARTA now, they probably would have packed more stations in there, spaced more like the Downtown station spacing.
No.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:02 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,735,463 times
Quote:

There is no published plan for such an infill station. The 2007 Report on Infill Stations has no such station planned. The only Midtown infill station considered was 'Uptown', which scored medium in general. This station, though is well north of Arts Center, and is certainly no "N 4.5".

None of the linked articles mention such a thing, nor does the architect's site. So... no idea where that came from.

There're streetcars and ART routs planned for the area, but no Heavy Rail...

Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:

The Midtown stations are less than 1 mile apart, is 1/2 mile walk thru one of Atlanta's densest and pleasurable districts too much to ask?

Old 12-12-2016, 07:05 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,483,416 times
Quote:
The Midtown stations are less than 1 mile apart, is 1/2 mile walk thru one of Atlanta's densest and pleasurable districts too much to ask?
"Yes."

-Lazy people

Old 12-12-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
"Yes."

-Lazy people
Use Relay Bike Share to access the stations, or we'll setup Rascal Share hubs.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:55 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,382,430 times
Quote:
Use Relay Bike Share to access the stations, or we'll setup Rascal Share hubs.
Oh please do, this 2 block walk is KILLING ME.

BTW, props to fourthwarden for sending in that email. Impressed with the detail in their response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or