Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 01:22 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't think it should be put at the bottom of the list simply because many of its riders would be out of the service area. It should be prioritized based on its relative value, which may be at the bottom of the list.
Which I, myself, have argued as well.

Quote:
MARTA is really not usable currently to the west and south metro. In the south it terminates at the airport. There just is not good access from the south. To the west, by the time you get to HE Holmes, you will just drive into downtown. A stop outside 285 would generate additional riders.

Not saying that would make it a top priority, but it should be a long term priority. Really the west line should at least go to Charlie Brown Airport. That area is primed for redevelopment and already has a decent job base.
I don't think anyone is really saying it shouldn't be built, just that right now it shouldn't be prioritized since it's on the periphery of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 01:24 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
MARTA is really not usable currently to the west and south metro. In the south it terminates at the airport. There just is not good access from the south. To the west, by the time you get to HE Holmes, you will just drive into downtown. A stop outside 285 would generate additional riders.

Not saying that would make it a top priority, but it should be a long term priority. Really the west line should at least go to Charlie Brown Airport. That area is primed for redevelopment and already has a decent job base.
This begs the perpetual question: Do we build transit to where people are, or do we build transit and hope people will come to it?

Old 06-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This begs the perpetual question: Do we build transit to where people are, or do we build transit and hope people will come to it?
It is quite possible to do both.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:40 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Kind of always going to be a combo of both, inevitably. Like if they ever finally build the extension to Alpharetta, that would be both a train to where people already live and work and shop, and also a potential catalyst of new development, particularly dense transit oriented development within walking distance of the new stations.

Same deal for ITP. Cheshire Bridge for example has already been redeveloping, but when they get the light rail station you'll see even more, and I'm sure that's the hope of MARTA.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:49 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
For West extension to even make this list shows that it is not "the bottom" priority. But I don't think there are many things on this list I would place behind it in priority.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:32 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
It is quite possible to do both.
You must do both.

The value of the west line would depend on their analysis. There are commuters from the west who would use it that wouldn't drive to Holmes. There are jobs along Fulton Industrial that would be accessible for people with an extension of MARTA. And there would be more development of jobs and housing with MARTA.

Now you do have to ask the question of how much ridership you get for the $$. You don't just build it and assume development and riders will come.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:34 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Is there a timeline set for any of these projects?

Old 06-04-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Is there a timeline set for any of these projects?
Not yet. They're still getting prioritized.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:10 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The problem is there are not enough places where enough "people are" in Atlanta. For transit to work well you need a certain amount of density. Few places in Atlanta have the density to support transit. I'd say creating places where it is legal to have the density transit needs is an important first step.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:04 PM

I did a bit of additional math to go about comparing costs for the projects on the table that was shown in the Streetsblog article:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta