U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 03:16 PM

4,011 posts, read 2,510,285 times

Advertisements

That was fast. We need more money lol. That green line extension from Bankhead to Armour looks nice but too expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 03:39 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,023,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Expected federal funds would about offset by O+M (operations and maintenance) costs that need to be included. So this is still a fair proxy but obviously there are a lot of nuances this tool will not cover like each quadrant of the Beltline LRT would not be exactly $460M each.
MARTA included O&M in their estimates when they first presented the wish list. It was... pretty high, looking back. $136 Mil. a year. That said, they were also showing full (and then some) federal matching.

I'm wondering how much O&M could MARTA budget, since they'd have some wriggle room from the $30 Mil. annual surplus they're running, and since they might increase farebox returns from the expanded capture areas... I just don't know.

More topics to bring up at the meetings that I can't be at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Because the other money isnt guaranteed
I think fieldm may be on to something there. The project list MARTA originally presented included the federal matching, and then some, so I wonder if this set up is simply not.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:45 PM

My choices....

Beltline: We gotta complete the Beltline. We can worry about the lines inside the Beltline later on

NE- $420M
NW- $420M
SE - $420M
SW - $420M

1.7b

MARTA Expansion: We have to start on the CC so when Dekalb votes on it next year it will be complete

CC- $332M

Total so far....$2B

Bus Enhancements (since its cheap)

Greenbriar Transfer Center - $3m
Moores Mill Transfer Center- $3m

Station Enhancements:

Bankhead Station Platform Extension $13m
(This has to be done. Sick of looking at that small ass Bankhead train)

Edgewood/Candler Park: $1m

$2,032,000 B

Infill Station (We have to have these to connect MARTA with the Beltline
Armour Station - $100M
Boone Station - $21M
Hulsey/Krog Station - $100M
Mechanicsville Station - $50M
Murphy Crossing Station - $100M

2.4B

Last edited by fieldm; 05-24-2016 at 04:08 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
MARTA included O&M in their estimates when they first presented the wish list. It was... pretty high, looking back. $136 Mil. a year. That said, they were also showing full (and then some) federal matching.

I'm wondering how much O&M could MARTA budget, since they'd have some wriggle room from the $30 Mil. annual surplus they're running, and since they might increase farebox returns from the expanded capture areas... I just don't know.

More topics to bring up at the meetings that I can't be at.

I think fieldm may be on to something there. The project list MARTA originally presented included the federal matching, and then some, so I wonder if this set up is simply not.
I think they just want to show what exactly we will be getting with our money. Anything additional (federal $$) we can worry about it then. They will probably still make a list of what would be added with the federal dollars but I think they want to keep that separate

Old 05-24-2016, 03:54 PM

6,309 posts, read 3,384,351 times
I'm hugely in favor of a Moore's Mill park&ride transit center, but hugely against it just being for a local bus route, that runs all the way down to HE Holmes. That doesn't make any sense. Needs to be a direct shuttle express bus, that runs along Marietta Blvd directly from the transit center to Bankhead Station and back, with minimal stops.

Also, Bankhead should be renamed to Westside Park Station (which will hopefully open one of these years), be all spiffied up, and the platform extended to accommodate 8-car trains.

Along with the inexpensive Boone infill, so that the Green Line doesn't just have the one unique station.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:13 PM

Federal Funded $$$$

Beltline Streetcar

Capitol Ave. Streetcar $255M
North Ave. Streetcar $323M
Northside/Luckie Streetcar $300M
Streetcar Extension East to Beltline $65M

Bus
Campbellton Rapid Bus $200M
Cascade Rapid Bus $257M
NW Atlanta Rapid Bus $254M
Northside Drive Rapid Bus $230M
Peachtree Rd. Rapid Bus $246M

Off-Peak Bus Service Expansion $74M

Old 05-24-2016, 05:08 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,023,381 times
This might explain the discrepancy:

Quote:
Disclaimer

This page is an educational project of Citizens for Progressive Transit and is not affiliated with MARTA or any other governmental entity. Specific project costs, alignments, etc. are for illustrative purposes only.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:42 PM

5,207 posts, read 4,264,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The city council has already approved the streetcar plan, MARTA has had their experts give their project wishlist, what more do these guys want?
Federal funding. That's the biggest hurdle. And unless Congress ceases to be a do-nothing Congress, studies and short-distance streetcar routes are all we're going to get.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:56 PM

787 posts, read 689,578 times
Why not extend from East Point down 166 to Greenbrier from Greenbrier to Camp Creek?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:17 AM

23,245 posts, read 17,447,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Federal funding. That's the biggest hurdle. And unless Congress ceases to be a do-nothing Congress, studies and short-distance streetcar routes are all we're going to get.
There are a couple of streetcar routes already in EIS, which allows them to be ahead in the case of matching federal funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or