U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 04:32 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,001,972 times

Advertisements

It is odd that they left Armour and took out Mechanicsville. Armour is already right there at Lindbergh anyways, there's no burning need or greatly enhanced connectivity. What Armour does do is slow down a (former, because they STILL won't maintain the track) good long 70mph zone for the trains reducing MARTA's utility (however slight) to the northern regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 05:02 PM

5,554 posts, read 3,021,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
It is odd that they left Armour and took out Mechanicsville. Armour is already right there at Lindbergh anyways, there's no burning need or greatly enhanced connectivity. What Armour does do is slow down a (former, because they STILL won't maintain the track) good long 70mph zone for the trains reducing MARTA's utility (however slight) to the northern regions.

Did you (or anyone here; genuine curiosity, no accusations) pester the MARTA reps at the meeting? I would to hear why MARTA made that call.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:51 PM

6,308 posts, read 3,381,508 times
Armour Station is critical because of the Beltline. Residents of Brookwood Hills, Piedmont Heights, Collier Hills, and parts of Morningside and Ansley Park, will (eventually) presumably be able to conveniently walk/bike/light rail directly to the heavy rail station, and take either Red or Gold trains to wherever. And Peachtree Hills as well, assuming a new small bridge across the creek, which there should be. And of course Armour neighborhood, which has plenty of room along the creek for new mid-rise apartments. So that's a lot of new connectivity and potential MARTA riders.

Also in the reverse sense, people coming into the city from Red and Gold. You can get off at Armour, then catch the light rail down to Piedmont Park for fun, or over to Peachtree Rd/Piedmont Hospital for work/shopping/dining.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:59 PM

Whereas the Murphy Crossing infill, I'm not seeing who all that one is going to really connect, that already wasn't convenient to access West End or Oakland City stations. Adair Park neighborhood doesn't really need a station, just a new bridge into West End station. Same thing for Capitol View and Oakland City station. Pittsburgh may be the one community that would definitely use the new station.

So, I'm not seeing it, with that infill. Beltline or not. Mechanicsville is a much better choice, would serve Pittsburgh, and with a nice pedestrian bridge over the highway would also nicely serve the south parts of Atlanta University Center and Castleberry Hill.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 PM

Look at all this tons of Mechanicsville TOD, all already built and ready to go, just waiting for a station:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7355.../data=!3m1!1e3
One of the apartments is even called Mechanicsville Station!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,001,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Armour Station is critical because of the Beltline.
The beltline goes to Lindbergh.
Quote:
Residents of Brookwood Hills, Piedmont Heights, Collier Hills, and parts of Morningside and Ansley Park, will (eventually) presumably be able to conveniently walk/bike/light rail directly to the heavy rail station, and take either Red or Gold trains to wherever. And Peachtree Hills as well, assuming a new small bridge across the creek, which there should be. And of course Armour neighborhood, which has plenty of room along the creek for new mid-rise apartments. So that's a lot of new connectivity and potential MARTA riders.
Lindbergh is only 3/4 mile from Armour. I'm not saying don't serve Armour, just serve it with local transit instead of slowing down the HRT
Quote:
Also in the reverse sense, people coming into the city from Red and Gold. You can get off at Armour, then catch the light rail down to Piedmont Park for fun, or over to Peachtree Rd/Piedmont Hospital for work/shopping/dining.
Lindbergh is just as convenient for those riders. Anyone coming from Atlanta on the Red/Gold will be better off jumping off sooner and taking local transit out of North Avenue or Midtown or wherever the transit will connect.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:40 AM

23,236 posts, read 17,438,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Whereas the Murphy Crossing infill, I'm not seeing who all that one is going to really connect, that already wasn't convenient to access West End or Oakland City stations. Adair Park neighborhood doesn't really need a station, just a new bridge into West End station. Same thing for Capitol View and Oakland City station. Pittsburgh may be the one community that would definitely use the new station.

So, I'm not seeing it, with that infill. Beltline or not. Mechanicsville is a much better choice, would serve Pittsburgh, and with a nice pedestrian bridge over the highway would also nicely serve the south parts of Atlanta University Center and Castleberry Hill.
Mechicansville infill would connect an area that is disconnected from all surrounding areas by 2 freeways and a railroad. It would help to serve the MIC near the tracks.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:22 AM

5,554 posts, read 3,021,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I loved that idea. I just loved what they presented tonight! Seeing all the transit projects together, plus the complete streets, greenways, multi-use trails is almost overwhelming. I am almost concerned they are presenting too much.

If.... IF these two taxes are approved, Atlanta's future is going to be radically altered.
(Shifting the $8 Bil. conversation about the Nov. referendum back into this thread)

Yeah. The cynic in me knows there's no way Atlanta can get all this right. Something has to fail... low voter turn out, high opposition (even in the city) turn out, a mis-file, some city councilman blocks the vote, the mayor throws another hissy-fit... who knows.

You're right though, we're at a junction in the city's future. One way is more of the same incredibly slow and frustratingly incremental progress, but progress all the same, while the other way offers a massive push to completely redefine the core urban landscape over the next couple of decades.

Trails, bike lanes, ped improvements, streetcars, light rail, rapid bus, better local buses, infill stations, and on and on and on...

We may be nearing some kind of building halt or slowdown, but I have a hard time not imagining all of this infrastructure development bringing in a whole new, hopefully longer lasting, wave of build up, densification, and pedestrian-access.

Not Portland, not New York, just us, Atlanta.

And in true Atlanta fashion, we'll find some way to run it all into the ground in a spectacular and flaming wreck of good intentions and bold ideas.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:30 AM

23,236 posts, read 17,438,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
(Shifting the $8 Bil. conversation about the Nov. referendum back into this thread)

Yeah. The cynic in me knows there's no way Atlanta can get all this right. Something has to fail... low voter turn out, high opposition (even in the city) turn out, a mis-file, some city councilman blocks the vote, the mayor throws another hissy-fit... who knows.

You're right though, we're at a junction in the city's future. One way is more of the same incredibly slow and frustratingly incremental progress, but progress all the same, while the other way offers a massive push to completely redefine the core urban landscape over the next couple of decades.

Trails, bike lanes, ped improvements, streetcars, light rail, rapid bus, better local buses, infill stations, and on and on and on...

We may be nearing some kind of building halt or slowdown, but I have a hard time not imagining all of this infrastructure development bringing in a whole new, hopefully longer lasting, wave of build up, densification, and pedestrian-access.

Not Portland, not New York, just us, Atlanta.

And in true Atlanta fashion, we'll find some way to run it all into the ground in a spectacular and flaming wreck of good intentions and bold ideas.
I thought Paul Morris' speech last night was on point. At first I was upset and 100% against the entire TSPLOST money going towards BeltLine over the city-wide project list, but he almost sucked me in with that speech.
I honestly do not think Atlanta will run this into the ground, because we have the right people at the table; Keith Parker, Tim Keane, and Paul Morris are outsiders and not part of the Atlanta political machine. These guys were brought in for a reason that reason is their fresh ideas. We(citizens of Atlanta) are at a junction where we can tax ourselves to make yuge improvements to how we move through our city and a statement to the world that the City of Atlanta is not going to be the poster child for sprawl anymore! Those of us that support this, get out and spread the message that this will help everyone in the city. Not just developers, upper middle class whites in the NE quadrant, not just certain council districts.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:41 AM

10,477 posts, read 7,463,083 times
Agreed. And while Reed sometimes gets caught up in some petty squabbles, he does a great job of pushing the things he champions and rarely drops the ball. And this is one of those things.

With this already being OK'd by the state, I have high hopes for a good set of projects passing this November and being transformational for Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or