Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 03:01 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times

Advertisements

Atlanta transit tax projects must connect with existing network to succeed | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Some good thoughts. But seems a bit over focused on a bus-only solution. I think that is only one piece of the puzzle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 05:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,234,650 times
I think the author was advocating just that buses are not forgotten as this plan proceeds. Along with the ART/BRT routes, I do hope that enhance bus service in general. Upping bus frequency is a huge aspect of improving transit in Atlanta

Old 05-19-2016, 05:55 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,690,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think the author was advocating just that buses are not forgotten as this plan proceeds. Along with the ART/BRT routes, I do hope that enhance bus service in general. Upping bus frequency is a huge aspect of improving transit in Atlanta
The article was a bit redundant, since the MARTA proposal included a decent amount of bus upgrades, and both Parker and Ashe have been talking about the bus upgrades as a core part of the expansions.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Atlanta transit tax projects must connect with existing network to succeed | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Some good thoughts. But seems a bit over focused on a bus-only solution. I think that is only one piece of the puzzle.
BRT/bike lanes would be great and is a cheaper alternative to LRT/streetcar on certain corridors. The BeltLine Loop is a way to connect 45 neighborhoods with grade-separated transit, let's not kid ourselves and think that a bus would better serve this corridor. The BeltLine is 100% needed as it would provide a loop around the central core and allow the areas around it to build up. Also, the BeltLine does not just pass thru the 'white areas' or 'rich areas' instead it sees no difference in race and SES as it passes thru NE and SW Atlanta connecting all of them to each other and jobs.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:16 AM

Atlanta
Quote:
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed embraces a proposed $2.5 billion transit sales tax before his administration has time to complete a pending update of the city’s comprehensive transportation plan. Two distinct observers – one local, one national – say the process raises some troubling issues.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:23 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
We have spent enough time doing studies already. Time to put some of the transit in the ground.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:27 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
We have spent enough time doing studies already. Time to put some of the transit in the ground.
Agreed. I do think we should do it smartly, but it is really hard to keep up with changing technology. Technology changes so rapidly that when a study is completed, there is already something new and better out there that people will beg needs studying as well. That's how NOTHING gets done.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Agreed. I do think we should do it smartly, but it is really hard to keep up with changing technology. Technology changes so rapidly that when a study is completed, there is already something new and better out there that people will beg needs studying as well. That's how NOTHING gets done.
The city council has already approved the streetcar plan, MARTA has had their experts give their project wishlist, what more do these guys want?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:52 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,690,708 times
Quote:
The city council has already approved the streetcar plan, MARTA has had their experts give their project wishlist, what more do these guys want?
I can sort of see their angle, but I tend to agree with you Cq. How long have we been talking about all the various projects? How long have we had to look and think and come up with ideas on things like MARTA service and streetcars and light rail? I would say ever since MARTA first started presenting ideas for the $8 Bil. project lists.

I can understand the frustration of only having 2 meetings before a preliminary list is set, but it is only the preliminary list after all. If we can't overcome our understanding of the word enough to keep pushing new / better ideas until the end of the process, then is that really the city's fault?

I can understand the issue with moving forward on projects based on a lack of planning, but I don't know if that fully applies here. The streetcar has had two full plans released. The BeltLine has been planning for a decade or two now. MARTA has been planning the I-20 east and west stuff for years now, and surely has a decent amount of internal studies on the feasibility of ART and circulator services.

The major thing that has the least amount of planning that I can think of is the Northside BRT, which has had a few studies associated with it through GDoT, the city, and a few University projects. I'm sure MARTA has a decent collection of documents built up.

As for the practicality, I keep looking at Dobbins little drawing about day and night time Atlanta there to the right. It is captioned, "The Atlanta BeltLine circles the urban core but doesn’t provide much connectivity between neighborhoods and regional job centers." Which, I don't buy for a second. He conveniently forgot to include the crosstown streetcars, MARTA heavy rail, the planned BRT, the planned ART, the planned circulators, or the existing bus services. He also doesn't seem to think that the 45 neighborhoods that the BeltLine touches / goes through would be connected with the trail / rail.

I've had others defend Dobbins to me before, and generally I think he has solid arguments and positions, but this one I'm not so sure on.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:02 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
Quote:
We will always have people that will disagree with what the majority want. I'm sure I can find some people that want to toll 75/85 $10 per car even though most people would be against it. I'm sure I can find people in Atlanta that wouldn't mind cutting down every tree in Atlanta even though most people are against it. Just because a few people are against it and want more studies doesnt mean the majority of the city of Atlanta residents want the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta