Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:01 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverse Instantiation View Post
That doesn't stop other cities with small city limits that are mostly suburban from growing rapidly like Seattle. Seattle's city limits are much smaller than Atlanta's, but it's growing at nearly 2x the rate in raw numbers. Even SF, which is only 46 square miles, extremely expensive and has strict NIMBYism is growing at 12k people a year. Face it. Atlanta's growth isn't impressive. I guess it's impressive when you compare it to previous decades, but not with the current suburb to city trend and not impressive when you compare it to the metro wide growth. Atlanta's metro wide growth is accelerating and Atlanta city growth is nearly stagnant year over year. That speaks volumes.
For a city that grew by 4,000 the previous 10 years, growth of 8,775 per year (2010-2015) is extremely impressive. And as more of the city becomes desirable places to live, the capacity for growth in the city will also increase. The two cities you mention have the advantage of water which almost always put a premium on desirability. It's a completely different set of dynamics.

The city is doing the exact opposite of stagnating. Its growing at a rate not seen in our lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:14 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default New city population..

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
For a city that grew by 4,000 the previous 10 years, growth of 8,775 per year (2010-2015) is extremely impressive. And as more of the city becomes desirable places to live, the capacity for growth in the city will also increase. The two cities you mention have the advantage of water which almost always put a premium on desirability. It's a completely different set of dynamics.

The city is doing the exact opposite of stagnating. Its growing at a rate not seen in our lifetime.
Exactly, & as I heard it put on the news this a.m., the growth rate between 2014 & 2015 in the city of Atlanta was estimated to be @ 1.7% while the overall Atlanta metro growth in the same 1 year period was...drum-roll: also 1.7%.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I'm not a denialist, but I am a transplant. I live in a county that is nearly half non-white, and in a city that is 40 percent non-white. I do not see and have not experienced the garbage that is posted on this board about Cobb as if it's the gospel. I live in a middle to upper middle class community, and I see black people and other non-whites all the time. The idea of Cobb as this whitewashed enclave or bubble has not been my experience, though I will not discount events of the past in how it earned this reputation.

I brought up transit not toward you, but in general. Anti-Cobb sentiment on here is frequently couched in the MARTA rejection and racism, yet it is obvious that transit doesn't preclude racism and hate crimes even in progressive, diverse cities.

When Cobb is 50+ percent non white, what will people claim then? It's bound to happen in just a few years.
This is the south. And metro Atlanta to boot. Except for Appalachia there is almost no where that is all white. That's just how it goes down here. There are Black people everywhere in the south. It's not like we all just congregate in areas that are friendly towards us. The amount of minorities in an area really isn't a good indicator of it being racist or not. The people who run stuff in Cobb are still the same folks who've been running stuff forever and a day up there. Ferguson Missouri is mostly Black but yet the city leadership is still damn near all White. Pretty sure most St Louis metro folks would still tell you that Ferguson and other northern St Louis county suburbs are still racist. Cobb being 50% minority says nothing. If anything the constant gerrymandering to minimize the minority vote in Cobb should speak volumes to you more than anything I've said on here. They clearly intend to keep their power base, despite how many Black and Hispanic folks move in.

And how is the stuff posted on here garbage? A white cop in Cobb calling me and my friend
a boy over and over and telling us that if we wanted to come to Cobb at night that we needed to stay off the side streets and stick to the interstates is garbage? No. It's not garbage. It's the truth. When that thread came up last year about the cops in Cobb and I shared my experiences, this being city data I figured that per usual my opinion on here would be going against the grain. I was shocked to see that quite a few other people on here had experiences similar to mine out there with being harassed. Like I said before. Clearly there is something there.

Like seriously. I get it. You're a good person. You moved to Cobb but that doesn't mean you're a racist. There are thousands of people just like you up there. But that doesn't change the fact that Cobb county clearly has an axe to grind with A- city people and B- Black people.

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 05-20-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
dp

Old 05-20-2016, 07:54 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Chevy,

I am black and originally from the South. I don't need the elementary primer that a non black person with no familiarity with the region might.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
This is the south. And metro Atlanta to boot. Except for Appalachia there is almost no where that is all white. That's just how it goes down here. There are Black people everywhere in the south. It's not like we all just congregate in areas that are friendly towards us. The amount of minorities in an area really isn't a good indicator of it being racist or not. The people who run stuff in Cobb are still the same folks who've been running stuff forever and a day up there. Ferguson Missouri is mostly Black but yet the city leadership is still damn near all White. Pretty sure most St Louis metro folks would still tell you that Ferguson and other northern St Louis county suburbs are still racist. Cobb being 50% minority says nothing. If anything the constant gerrymandering to minimize the minority vote in Cobb should speak volumes to you more than anything I've said on here. They clearly intend to keep their power base, despite how many Black and Hispanic folks move in.

And how is the stuff posted on here garbage? A white cop in Cobb calling me and my friend
a boy over and over and telling us that if we wanted to come to Cobb at night that we needed to stay off the side streets and stick to the interstates is garbage? No. It's not garbage. It's the truth. When that thread came up last year about the cops in Cobb and I shared my experiences, this being city data I figured that per usual my opinion on here would be going against the grain. I was shocked to see that quite a few other people on here had experiences similar to mine out there with being harassed. Like I said before. Clearly there is something there.

Like seriously. I get it. You're a good person. You moved to Cobb but that doesn't mean you're a racist. There are thousands of people just like you up there. But that doesn't change the fact that Cobb county clearly has an axe to grind with A- city people and B- Black people.
I don't understand this exactly. What you experienced is awful and unfair, but its not like it's reserved only for black people in white areas. There are plenty of majority black areas where whites are harassed, even attacked, by black residents. We all need to change our attitudes - black and white.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:36 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I don't understand this exactly. What you experienced is awful and unfair, but its not like it's reserved only for black people in white areas. There are plenty of majority black areas where whites are harassed, even attacked, by black residents. We all need to change our attitudes - black and white.
white people seem to believe this. i used to believe this (i'm white). but it simply isn't true. that may be what you see on TV, but since then i have been everywhere from vine city, lakewood, west end, stone mountain, out to stonecrest, clayton county, places that people call 'projects'. black people don't come out and start attacking you. and even if they did, they wouldn't have the institutional government/tv/hollywood influence that allows white perpetrators of hate crimes to go free (george zimmerman being a prime example). white people can straight up murder a black person and get off if they plead self defense. but black people? they get 20 years in jail for firing a warning shot. you can see why they don't riot like whites do when their neighbourhood starts getting more diverse.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
white people seem to believe this. i used to believe this (i'm white). but it simply isn't true. that may be what you see on TV, but since then i have been everywhere from vine city, lakewood, west end, stone mountain, out to stonecrest, clayton county, places that people call 'projects'. black people don't come out and start attacking you. and even if they did, they wouldn't have the institutional government/tv/hollywood influence that allows white perpetrators of hate crimes to go free (george zimmerman being a prime example). white people can straight up murder a black person and get off if they plead self defense. but black people? they get 20 years in jail for firing a warning shot. you can see why they don't riot like whites do when their neighbourhood starts getting more diverse.
The safest cities in America are mostly white. The most dangerous are mostly black. Blacks make up 13% of the population but commit 53% of all murders in America. There is no denying statistics and statistics themselves are not racist. Just facts. There are also horrible racist parts of our country where the KKK is still going strong - that is equally horrible. Both sides have issues they need to deal with. The idea though that black people are less safe in white areas than white people are in some black neighborhoods is absurd. There are mostly black areas in this country, even Atlanta, where a white person wondering around after dark equals a death sentence. Gang violence is rampant in the black community as well. I am not trying to have a discussion on race because it has been rehashed thousands of times on this board, but suffice to say there are areas black people are afraid to go due to racist whites and there are areas white people are afraid to go due to rampant crime and gang violence among the black residents. It works both ways.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
In Atlanta? Ok, sure bro. If you say so. I would ask you to name these areas, but I figure someone who has to ask if Oakhurst or Kirkwood is a war zone probably isn't that familiar with the metro area anyway. And someone who thinks Blacks go around attacking Whites just because of the color of their skin isn't that familiar with Black culture either. I'll drop a few gems for you. If you're White and looking to move into a Black area you'd probably be safer than the Black residents who live in that area. Black people who do dirt know that messing with White people is an easy ticket to have the cops on your @ss. And the drug dealers don't want the extra police attention because then they can't do what they do. Not to mention that in a lot of neighborhoods like the Bluff for example, most of the customers are White anyway. Those guys over there are making thousands of dollars a day. Why would they want to screw around with their cash flow by messing with some White people? A lot of us in poorer neighborhoods are literally just trying to survive day to day. We don't have the energy nor the extra time to devote to scheming up ways to mess with white folks.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
In Atlanta? Ok, sure bro. If you say so. I would ask you to name these areas, but I figure someone who has to ask if Oakhurst or Kirkwood is a war zone probably isn't that familiar with the metro area anyway. And someone who thinks Blacks go around attacking Whites just because of the color of their skin isn't that familiar with Black culture either. I'll drop a few gems for you. If you're White and looking to move into a Black area you'd probably be safer than the Black residents who live in that area. Black people who do dirt know that messing with White people is an easy ticket to have the cops on your @ss. And the drug dealers don't want the extra police attention because then they can't do what they do. Not to mention that in a lot of neighborhoods like the Bluff for example, most of the customers are White anyway. Those guys over there are making thousands of dollars a day. Why would they want to screw around with their cash flow by messing with some White people? A lot of us in poorer neighborhoods are literally just trying to survive day to day. We don't have the energy nor the extra time to devote to scheming up ways to mess with white folks.
I agree with you on a lot of these points. As I said, there is no blanket answer here because both white and black people have bad groups in their population. For example, more white men are serial killers than any other group. These are just facts.

That being said, we can't bend facts from what they are. The FBI murder report from 2013, the most recent I could find, shows that of the 3,000 whites murdered that year, over 400 were killed by blacks. Of the 2500 black people killed, 189 were killed by whites. That's Almost 15% of white murders being committed by blacks compared to only 7.5% of black murders by whites. There is no point arguing this - statistics are statistics. At the end of the day, there are crazy racist whites who kill blacks for no reason and crazy black people who kill whites. Both sides should own their mistakes and work to make them better. Making excuses or deflecting statistics will just make the problem worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta