U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 AM

22,199 posts, read 16,208,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep. Looking at you Cobb!
When they are ready to work together, join the TRUE regional transit agency, and act like their part of the metro; Atlanta will be ready with hope arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:21 AM

1,043 posts, read 801,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Although there were several problems at play with the 2010 census count, it wasn't solely a case of "counting difficulties". The largest factor at work with the 2010 count not matching what was apparently an over-ambitious growth estimate for the City of Atlanta that developed year by year during the prior decade was that the massive depopulation trend for some large areas on the northwest, west central & southwest sides of the city proper were not picked up or recognized.
The growth in Buckhead, northeast & southeast Atlanta was indeed noteworthy for the decade but not enough to overwhelm the trend found in the depopulating areas. As such, Atlanta's growth for the decade was only marginal to the tune of a few thousand.
If the depopulation trend is still occurring in the same areas now, then the new estimate may once again be over-ambitiously high. Time will tell.
As a reminder, the fact is that the overestimate situation was not confined to only the City of Atlanta but rather there was an over estimate for the entire state of Georgia to the extent such that only Arizona had a wider mismatch/undercount than Georgia for the 2010 census.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Beat me to it.

Much of that depopulation in the western and southern parts of the city was due to the closure of some of the big housing projects and the Great Recession. I think it bottomed out right around the time of the Census count.
Interesting. I remember Mayor Reed making a big deal out of the discrepancy between the 2009 estimate and the 2010 Census.

Anyway, I'm worried that the 2019 estimate will be something like 520,000 or so, then the 2020 Census happens and it turns out Atlanta's at 478,000 instead. :/

It's hard to get excited over estimates when there's always the possibility of a repeat of 2009.

- skbl17

Old 05-19-2016, 09:27 AM

5,005 posts, read 3,489,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Interesting. I remember Mayor Reed making a big deal out of the discrepancy between the 2009 estimate and the 2010 Census.

Anyway, I'm worried that the 2019 estimate will be something like 520,000 or so, then the 2020 Census happens and it turns out Atlanta's at 478,000 instead. :/

It's hard to get excited over estimates when there's always the possibility of a repeat of 2009.

- skbl17
Reed was blowing smoke. The factors that led to the discrepancy were unique to that time period.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:37 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,042,898 times
Default New city population...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post

- skbl17

Yes, he did indeed do so. I think that the mayor was in denial as I personally was to some degree initially as well. Mix that in with not totally understanding the factors at work in the population count discrepancy, I failed to understand how the count could be so widely different than the various estimates that were put out year by year prior to the actual census count in 2010.
I agree with your other concerns as expressed here.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:17 AM

5,951 posts, read 2,923,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
So Atlanta is essentially a mid-sized city.

When people think of Atlanta, they are thinking of the entire Metro. THAT is what lends to the perception of population and size of Atlanta.

Atlanta, in isolation, is not a population powerhouse like Chicago or Houston (each 2M+), let alone NYC or LA.

Better to think in terms of the Metro ATL region than the city-centered focus championed by some.
Cool, so Cobb can join MARTA and get back to us on that point.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I never would have guessed Peachtree Corners would be that high.
Covers a pretty decent amount of land. City limits are everything in Gwinnett northwest of Buford Highway, up to the Duluth city limits, except for Downtown Norcross, and Berkeley Lake.

Also has a lot of apartment complexes.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:28 AM

28,167 posts, read 24,711,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Cool, so Cobb can join MARTA and get back to us on that point.
Not knocking anybody, but it sure seems like an awful lot of threads about the ATL somehow get turned into MARTA debates.

Do other cities do this?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not knocking anybody, but is there ANY thread about the ATL that doesn't somehow get turned into a MARTA debate?

Do other cities do this?
Poster I replied to, who I think lives in Kennesaw or something, tried to make some kind of silly point about ITP Atlanta not thinking as a region. Just pointing out that this is the exact thing that Cobb County (which I am also a resident) is the most guilty of in our metro/region, with its policies and attitudes.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:39 AM

28,167 posts, read 24,711,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Poster I replied to, who I think lives in Kennesaw or something, tried to make some kind of silly point about ITP Atlanta not thinking as a region. Just pointing out that this is the exact thing that Cobb County (which I am also a resident) is the most guilty of in our metro/region, with its policies and attitudes.
I understand, primaltech, and I'm not criticizing you.

I'm just amazed at how much debate we have about MARTA.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:40 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,042,898 times
Default New city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not knocking anybody, but is there ANY thread about the ATL that doesn't somehow get turned into a MARTA debate?

Do other cities do this?

Well yes...and no.
I'm around a lot on CD to many different state forums & there isn't necessarily a mass transit-oriented thread derailment issue everywhere but it does happen.
More specifically there is a similar type of thread derailment that often occurs that is a reflection of the balkanization that is a force in most or many metros. It's more or less an "us versus them" type of pattern.
But as many of us have readily seen in other thread topics, an original topic can be derailed by political or social issue comments, etc.
The bottom line is that the Atlanta forum is not at all unique as goes thread topic derailment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or