U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:03 PM

22,255 posts, read 16,304,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There's far more hostility coming out of the center than from the suburbs toward the center.

Atlanta needs to quit thinking the rest of the region needs to serve it and work together for common goals that help all of the region, not just one part. It may help when Mayor Reed gets out. Tim Lee getting out of his job in Cobb could also help.
Only on CD, when I worked at Cobb County DOT, there was a lot more shade being thrown towards Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 01:15 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,965,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Only on CD, when I worked at Cobb County DOT, there was a lot more shade being thrown towards Atlanta.
There are reasons for some hostility in both directions.

That doesn't make it constructive, IMO.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:17 PM

1,274 posts, read 645,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Isn't even really about transportation, to be honest. The north suburbs try to disconnect and disassociate with Atlanta at every turn, while also reaping the benefits of proximity to Atlanta.

I mean, Cobb created a 10 foot city just to prevent the city of Atlanta from annexing any Cobb County land. That's just ugly.

I feel the main reason for this is that they see Atlanta as inferior and don't want to be part of it. You don't see this behavior in NYC or LA suburbs. With all of the growth and revitalization of the city, watch how quickly they start claiming to be from Atlanta once it becomes vogue.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:27 PM

27,968 posts, read 25,039,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It works both ways, too.

If big old mean Cobb wanted to start gobbling up chunks of the city of Atlanta and ruling them from Marietta, there's little doubt that the folks downtown would attempt evasive and/or blocking action.
Huh? Counties can't annex.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 PM

1,808 posts, read 793,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
This is because MOST people view it ALL as Atlanta or the Atlanta Metro Area, and they are not familiar with the multitude of suburbs and communities and neighborhoods by name.
Yeah that's my original point regarding the ATL being the "engine" of the region.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:33 PM

28,226 posts, read 24,830,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Huh? Counties can't annex.
Well, I'm speaking conceptually.

Say Sandy Springs or Brookhaven or East Point wanted to start gobbling up big chunks of Atlanta. Don't you think Atlanta would try to resist it?

Old 05-19-2016, 01:36 PM

13,198 posts, read 16,036,309 times
Quote:
Not knocking anybody, but it sure seems like an awful lot of threads about the ATL somehow get turned into MARTA debates.

Do other cities do this?
Probably not, since MARTA is unque to Metro Atlanta. Can't imagine why other cities would care about MARTA.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM

13,198 posts, read 16,036,309 times
Quote:
Well, I'm speaking conceptually.

Say Sandy Springs or Brookhaven or East Point wanted to start gobbling up big chunks of Atlanta. Don't you think Atlanta would try to resist it?
Cities can't "gobble up" parts of other cities.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 24,830,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Cities can't "gobble up" parts of other cities.
Well, I guess it's my fault for not being more explicit.

Cobb has been criticized many times on this board for not wanting to be annexed by the city of Atlanta.

My point is that the city of Atlanta would likewise resist being subsumed/taken over by another jurisdiction.

If folks have their own way of doing things and their own boundaries, they generally don't like somebody else coming along and saying, "We'll just take over your land and be your new government." Why should Cobb be singled out for criticism because they didn't want to be taken over by COA?

Old 05-19-2016, 01:54 PM

5,008 posts, read 3,511,770 times
Quote:
Well, I guess it's my fault for not being more explicit.

Cobb has been criticized many times on this board for not wanting to be annexed by the city of Atlanta.

My point is that the city of Atlanta would likewise resist being subsumed/taken over by another jurisdiction.

If folks have their own way of doing things and their own boundaries, they generally don't like somebody else coming along and saying, "We'll just take over your land and be your new government." Why should Cobb be singled out for criticism because they didn't want to be taken over by COA?
Cities can't annex residential areas without the consent of the residents being annexed, so your scenario isn't a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or