Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 05:45 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,370,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
So Atlanta is essentially a mid-sized city.

When people think of Atlanta, they are thinking of the entire Metro. THAT is what lends to the perception of population and size of Atlanta.

Atlanta, in isolation, is not a population powerhouse like Chicago or Houston (each 2M+), let alone NYC or LA.

Better to think in terms of the Metro ATL region than the city-centered focus championed by some.

Yes, that's correct. Atlanta proper is not all that large in itself. It should be noted that if it's population growth turns out to be fully accurate, there's no telling how big it could get. I've seen estimates that it could hit over 1 million at some point. Atlanta has the characteristics of a much bigger city. Atlanta punches above it's weight due to the much bigger metropolitan population. A city of 463,000 ordinarily wouldn't have 1,000 feet skyscrapers, dozens of high-rise condos, a 50 mile heavy rail subway, multiple professional sports teams, nearly 20 Fortune 500 global corporation headquarters, extreme luxury shopping options such as Ferrari dealerships, Tom Ford, Gucci, and Dior, and a supermassive airport. People who dwell on city proper are missing the bigger picture.

As an aside, the census shows Marietta struggling to hold population. I can't understand that. I thought that was a "hot" part of the metro. It surely is one of the best "suburbs" that is in the metro, what with it's walkable core, town square, historical districts, and mixture of amenities. Smyrna is nearly overtaking it (nothing against Smyrna AT ALL-just noticing the trend line).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 06:04 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,511,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Right, but I'm not talking about the technicalities of annexation.

Cobb has been criticized for resisting the potential expansion of Atlanta into Cobb, and I'm simply pointing out that those feelings are no different from any other jurisdiction that doesn't want to become part of or governed by an adjoining jurisdiction.

Do you think the city of Atlanta would be okay with being made part of Cobb county, Sandy Springs or any other jurisdiction? Of course not. So why should Cobb be singled out for criticism?
That's not really been a major criticism; when it comes to Cobb, the biggest criticism seems to be related to MARTA and just general attitudes about Atlanta from county leaders.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:23 PM

994 posts, read 1,532,124 times
Atlanta Is Hot:

Good points. My point precisely is the hyper-emphasis on the city proper, at the expense of recognizing (marginalizing) which areas are actually responsible for the growth associated with the perception and status of "Atlanta."

As for Marietta, I'm not sure, but it may not help that unincorporated Marietta does not get included in that total. So the "real" growth and retention rate might be higher.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:40 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,661,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
It is literally built, owned, and run by the City of Atlanta. And part of it is in the city limits (where the original terminal was). Map with CoA boundaries (note the "island" of CoA city limits that takes part of the airport, that is the original site of the terminal): https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...!4d-84.3879824

If Mayor Reed decided tomorrow the airport would look better painted pink with purple polka dots, he could do it. (But they let the CoA airport authority do their own thing since they are self-funding)
Thanks for providing that map link which clearly shows the "island" location of the former airport terminal building as having existed in a non-contiguous & small section of City of Atlanta land.
I wonder how they got that done? I do not know of another non-contiguous chunk of a city in Georgia being totally separated from the rest of that same city. Does anyone know the background as to how this legally came to be the case? Surely the heavy hand of the legislature, which has always been far too involved in municipal matters in Georgia imho, was involved.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,661,450 times
Default New city estimates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Yes, that's correct. Atlanta proper is not all that large in itself. It should be noted that if it's population growth turns out to be fully accurate, there's no telling how big it could get. I've seen estimates that it could hit over 1 million at some point. Atlanta has the characteristics of a much bigger city. Atlanta punches above it's weight due to the much bigger metropolitan population. A city of 463,000 ordinarily wouldn't have 1,000 feet skyscrapers, dozens of high-rise condos, a 50 mile heavy rail subway, multiple professional sports teams, nearly 20 Fortune 500 global corporation headquarters, extreme luxury shopping options such as Ferrari dealerships, Tom Ford, Gucci, and Dior, and a supermassive airport. People who dwell on city proper are missing the bigger picture.

As an aside, the census shows Marietta struggling to hold population. I can't understand that. I thought that was a "hot" part of the metro. It surely is one of the best "suburbs" that is in the metro, what with it's walkable core, town square, historical districts, and mixture of amenities. Smyrna is nearly overtaking it (nothing against Smyrna AT ALL-just noticing the trend line).

I just found another link that shows what you mentioned about Marietta and it's "struggle" to hold it's population, at least as far as the 1 year estimate is concerned for the change from 2014 to 2015.
A click on the map here at the link blow will enlarge the map which shows that in Georgia, not only Marietta, but Valdosta & Albany were also among the largest 1 year losers in percentage population terms in the country.
I find the inclusion of Marietta to be a headscratcher.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u...153819078.html

Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,300,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I just found another link that shows what you mentioned about Marietta and it's "struggle" to hold it's population, at least as far as the 1 year estimate is concerned for the change from 2014 to 2015.
A click on the map here at the link blow will enlarge the map which shows that in Georgia, not only Marietta, but Valdosta & Albany were also among the largest 1 year losers in percentage population terms in the country.
I find the inclusion of Marietta to be a headscratcher.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u...153819078.html
I expect that Marietta's one year loss in population is due to the city having purchased, closed and razed several large, rundown apartment complexes on Franklin Road (now Franklin Gateway - stupid way to rename a road, but that's neither here nor there). I am sure that 500+ units were removed, and most probably had several residents. I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't drop the population by 2,000 or more. The population is still up by about 4.4% since 2010.

The area around the Square is indeed booming, with roughly $300M in new high end single and multi-family residential developments going on as we speak, within less than a mile from the Square. And next week, yet another farm to table restaurant is opening, with a new gastropub soon to follow... Can't wait for those!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,783,645 times
Quote:
It's absolutely equivalent if you're talking about attitudes. (And isn't that what Cobb is being criticized for?)

Let's say Georgia law permitted one jurisdiction to annex all or part of another. Suppose Cobb wanted to carve out the ritzy northwest section of the city of Atlanta, Sandy springs wanted to expand on down to the 75/85 split, and that Brookhaven wanted to take in its entire historic district.

I'll guarantee the city of Atlanta wold have a conniption fit. It would be throwing up 10 foot wide barrier cities and anything else it could think of to stave off such encroachments.
Everyone is trying to nitpick your post but I get your point and you are right on. Take this away from Cobb and consider the fight for Sandy Springs to incorporate. Atlanta had eyed annexing Sandy Springs in the 70s and there was indeed a serious push to do so. Sandy Springs fought back with everything they had and tried to incorporate way back when. It wasn't until the Republican overtaking of state government 15 or so years ago that paved the way for Sandy Springs (and others) to have reasonable laws that allowed them to do so.

Why not shade on Sandy Springs? But Cobb is the easy target.

Another point:

All of those posting in this thread need to realize that the figures in discussion are skewed because of Georgia's laws that give counties the power to act as municipal entities. While there has been a wave of incorporations and annexations in the last couple of decades, it is still largely within Fulton and Northern DeKalb. The majority of the metro area is still largely in unincorporated areas. Laws still favor the majority of the area to remain unincorporated in almost all other areas and make it difficult for cities to annex. These population figures for both the city of Atlanta and the suburban cities do not reflect the growth of the metro area.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,087,065 times
Quote:
That's not the basis of the criticism that's voiced on these boards. Usually it's suggested that Cobb set out to prevent annexation by the city of Atlanta because of selfish, racist or other nefarious grounds. As was stated in this thread for example, it was "ugly" for Cobb to create barriers to annexation by Atlanta.
Cobb has a rep for being racist. Let's not sugar coat it. From right after the civil war to Leo Frank on up to today with complaints against police and crosses being burnt on folks yards, there is a documented history of racism in Cobb. A lot more so than the other closer in OTP counties. That aura, that energy, it doesn't go away over night. The westside of the city and by extension the west metro has always had a little more of the good ol' boy stuff going on anyway. When blacks were moving into areas like Peyton Forest, Collier Heights, and Grove Park back in the day they actually put physical barriers in the streets and worse even set more than few homes on fire. Those people left the city and moved to Cobb. They joined up with the folks who were already out there who were even more extreme than them. Never could understand why people like to act like Cobb is just another one of the "normal kids" at the table.

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 05-20-2016 at 01:07 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,172,003 times
Quote:
It's absolutely equivalent if you're talking about attitudes. (And isn't that what Cobb is being criticized for?)

Let's say Georgia law permitted one jurisdiction to annex all or part of another. Suppose Cobb wanted to carve out the ritzy northwest section of the city of Atlanta, Sandy springs wanted to expand on down to the 75/85 split, and that Brookhaven wanted to take in its entire historic district.

I'll guarantee the city of Atlanta wold have a conniption fit. It would be throwing up 10 foot wide barrier cities and anything else it could think of to stave off such encroachments.
It's not at all equivalent because counties and cities are two different levels of government. In the scenario you mentioned, Cobb would have to "annex" part of Fulton County. The city boundaries would not change. I don't know the full history of Atlanta potentially annexing into Cobb County but if that was ever even considered, it would have no effect on the boundaries of Cobb county.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:40 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,951,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Everyone is trying to nitpick your post but I get your point and you are right on. Take this away from Cobb and consider the fight for Sandy Springs to incorporate. Atlanta had eyed annexing Sandy Springs in the 70s and there was indeed a serious push to do so. Sandy Springs fought back with everything they had and tried to incorporate way back when. It wasn't until the Republican overtaking of state government 15 or so years ago that paved the way for Sandy Springs (and others) to have reasonable laws that allowed them to do so.

Why not shade on Sandy Springs?
But Cobb is the easy target.
Because Sandy Springs embraces regionalism more than Cobb County. It's not hard to get....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta