Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 04:14 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times

Advertisements

Tuesday’s news: Republican support for transit no longer equates to suicide | Political Insider blog

Beach defeated investor and philanthropist Aaron Barlow of Milton, 58 to 42 percent.

In 2015, Beach was among many Republicans who supported HB 170, a measure to raise nearly $1 billion for road and bridge repair with reconfigured taxes on gasoline and a new tax on hotel and motel lodging.

More important, Tuesday’s vote was a coda on 11 months of debate over a proposed $8 billion expansion of MARTA rail into north Fulton, to be financed — with voter approval — by a half-cent sales tax. Beach had introduced legislation to permit the northward push
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:00 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,043 times
In my opinion, this is one of the best pieces of news to come out of yesterday's primary elections.

Even better (unscientific, I know):

Quote:
Beach said he polled North Fulton residents of Senate District 21 on the question of MARTA expansion. Sixty-four percent favored a referendum. Fifty-five percent said they would support a commuter rail push into their region. On Tuesday, Beach won 62 percent of the vote in the North Fulton portion of his district.
With the MARTA supporters holding on to their General Assembly positions, things are looking pretty bright for the future of transit in this region.

Unfortunately, John Albers (yes, him) was unopposed. You win some, you lose some.

- skbl17

Old 05-25-2016, 05:14 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
There are any number of places where mass transit makes sense on economics alone, mostly due to sheer population density; Long Island, much of metro San Francisco and most of New Jersey are all good examples, And that portion of the country is growing, as demonstrated in Los Angeles and South Florida -- primarily because the land for more and bigger highways is no longer there.

But Atlanta, like Dallas/Fort Worth, is at a disadvantage simply because its population, while growing steadily, is spread out over a wider area. It will continue to grow, and the concentration of population will inveigh for more transit, but only in those areas where newcomers are encouraged to live near the transit lines and facilities. "If you build it, they will come" doesn't work as well as the hype suggests.

I'm given to understand that in some metros, Portland (OR) being the most commonly cited, a policy of discouraging further expansion of low-density development is being advanced, but I'm not too familiar with this practice.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:53 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Great point I think commuter rail like the Coaster between San Diego and Oceanside is a good example for Atlanta surburbs.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
There are any number of places where mass transit makes sense on economics alone, mostly due to sheer population density; Long Island, much of metro San Francisco and most of New Jersey are all good examples, And that portion of the country is growing, as demonstrated in Los Angeles and South Florida -- primarily because the land for more and bigger highways is no longer there.

But Atlanta, like Dallas/Fort Worth, is at a disadvantage simply because its population, while growing steadily, is spread out over a wider area. It will continue to grow, and the concentration of population will inveigh for more transit, but only in those areas where newcomers are encouraged to live near the transit lines and facilities. "If you build it, they will come" doesn't work as well as the hype suggests.

I'm given to understand that in some metros, Portland (OR) being the most commonly cited, a policy of discouraging further expansion of low-density development is being advanced, but I'm not too familiar with this practice.
I agree with density and transportation choices go hand-in-hand. However I think transportation choices causes density more than density causes transportation choices.

For example, right here in Atlanta we used to be as dense as Amsterdam is today. But at the time we had few freeways and dozens of streetcar lines that covered the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: