Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 02:20 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,102,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has some ideas for what they call “unusual” getaways from Atlanta during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The first three getaways listed that lead-off the article are in the mountains and foothills of North Georgia, though there are other getaway ideas listed around the other parts, including on the Georgia Coast.

Close to home: Unusual getaways near Atlanta
Good list but Jekyll isn’t exactly “close” at around a 5 hour drive away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 02:53 PM

10,334 posts, read 11,331,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Good list but Jekyll isn’t exactly “close” at around a 5 hour drive away.
True.

But for many metro Atlantans, places on the Atlantic coast (like Jekyll Island, St. Simons Island, Savannah, Tybee Island, Hilton Head Island, etc.) while exactly close in physical or geographical distance, are and will always be close in our hearts and minds.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:06 AM

The Atlanta Intown Paper explores the Northwest Georgia city of Rome as a nearby getaway destination for Atlantans.

Quote:
Built on seven hills at the confluence of the Etowah, Oostanaula, and Coosa rivers, Rome is a charming alternative for a quick weekend getaway.

Around 90 minutes northwest of Atlanta, Rome is probably best known as a college town thanks to the presence of Berry College and Shorter University, but there’s also plenty of museums, historic sites, dining, shopping, and beautiful places to stroll along the river.
When In Rome: Picturesque city is perfect weekend getaway (Atlanta Intown Paper)

Old 10-19-2021, 07:58 AM

3,710 posts, read 3,632,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The Atlanta Intown Paper explores the Northwest Georgia city of Rome as a nearby getaway destination for Atlantans.

When In Rome: Picturesque city is perfect weekend getaway (Atlanta Intown Paper)
Thanks for posting B2R. We stopped in time on our way to hike George sloppy Floyd state park earlier this year. We were very pleasantly surprised for the following reasons:

Good proximity to the mountains, rivers, etc
2 colleges
Nice historic buildings
Super cute downtown with lots of shops
Slow paced, easy going
Only ~1 hr away
Affordable

In a weird way if I ever got tired of suburban living and craved a slower pace of life near the outdoors with affordability, I could see it being a great place to live

Old 10-19-2021, 11:32 AM

16,633 posts, read 29,310,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Thanks for posting B2R. We stopped in time on our way to hike George sloppy Floyd state park earlier this year. We were very pleasantly surprised for the following reasons:

Good proximity to the mountains, rivers, etc
2 colleges
Nice historic buildings
Super cute downtown with lots of shops
Slow paced, easy going
Only ~1 hr away
Affordable

In a weird way if I ever got tired of suburban living and craved a slower pace of life near the outdoors with affordability, I could see it being a great place to live
Rome-GA is a jewel.

Rome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome,_Georgia?wprov=sfti1

Old 10-19-2021, 01:14 PM

1,212 posts, read 715,738 times
Here's a list:

Chattahoochee River NRA, Lake Lanier, Stone Mountain, Silver Comet Trail, and Birmingham Race Course simulcast center.

The closest coast is Savannah at 248 miles but a lot of people in Atlanta have condos in Destin at 333 miles. The driving distance to Jacksonville is 345 miles. Don't forget the Suwannee River.

It has occurred to me that the Appalachian mountains are like the East Coast's amazon. Of course there are North Georgia mountains. Also, the water in Atlanta comes from the mountains and not from agricultural areas.

Here is one link: https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/explo...sades-east.htm .

Last edited by T Block; 10-19-2021 at 01:27 PM..

Old 10-19-2021, 07:23 PM
bu2

23,872 posts, read 14,652,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Lost Sea is kind of touristy and chintzy
... But it's also very neat and a lot of fun!

As a side note, I discovered it a few years ago after being disappointed on a visit to Capri, the surf was too rough to let people into the Blue Grotto the day I tried to go. Lost Sea is the second best thing! Lol, I really liked it.
Wear clothes you don't mind getting coated with sticky mud.

Old 10-21-2021, 10:37 AM

202 posts, read 222,314 times
Albany, GA? They must have been high on something when they included that

Old 10-21-2021, 11:50 AM

1,339 posts, read 883,082 times
When I was young I have fond memories of weekend family trips to Chattanooga (Tennessee Aquarium, Ruby Falls, Chattanooga Riverboat ride, Rock City Gardens) and walk around the river area and dine at the restaurants.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Albany?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That's what I was thinking! I had to read it to see what they suggested. They had a few kid friendly things.

Its actually kind of nice down there. The pace is slower, cell phone service can be spotty. It really is a place to slow down and get away from it all. But only in limited doses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBrat619 View Post
Albany, GA? They must have been high on something when they included that
Yeah, the inclusion of Albany on a list of weekend getaway spots for families does seem to be a bit of a head scratcher.

But in Albany’s defense, the city does at least have 3 notable museums and an aquarium to attempt to serve as modest attractions for potential visitors who probably are more than likely to be in town for a bigger event like the Fall Homecoming football game at Albany State University maybe more than almost anything else. Albany is also the birthplace of famed musician Ray Charles.

Though the inclusion of Albany of a weekend getaway list probably was just a way to bring some needed attention to a part of the Southeastern region that most often gets overlooked and ignored in favor of more appealing and high-profile places like Savannah and Coastal Georgia, Hilton Head Island, metro Atlanta, the North Georgia mountains, Chattanooga, the Great Smoky Mountains, the Western North Carolina mountains, Florida, the Gulf Coast, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta