U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 05:36 PM

21 posts, read 12,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
That's interesting. I haven't met many Chinese Asians here most I've talked to were Korean or Southeast Asian. I'm guessing most of them live on the northside. Thanks for the numbers, now I can counter people who downplay our Chinese population.
Most Chinese live in Duluth GA including Berkeley Lake and Sugarloaf in Gwinnett , with them making up 12 percent of the city of Duluth . next is 2. Johns Creek GA 9.3 percent Chinese .3 Suwanee Georgia which is 6 percent Chinese , Doraville which is 4 percent , and East Cobb which is 3 percent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:40 PM

21 posts, read 12,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I can be very sentimental, but our city is really too dynamic for that. The "Asian" Buford Highway area is becoming more Hispanic, "white"areas become more diverse, "black" areas become "white", the "boonies" become inner suburb--"alternative areas become mainstream. Whatever a certain area of town is now, it probably won't be in a few generations. The "City Too Busy Too Hate" is just too busy to stay what it was for any length of time.
agreed . More of the Asians are moving to Duluth and Suwanee and JC

Old 09-10-2017, 06:24 AM

1,647 posts, read 1,731,788 times
I used to work at a Chinese restaurant. All of the Chinese people I worked with referred to the Buford Hwy corridor as Chinatown. It is, compared to the other, more well known, Chinatowns, much more international, and more dispersed, but if Chinese people call it Chinatown I'm not going to argue. There is also a small mall and food court called "Chinatown Mall" just off Buford Hwy.

We have what we have, whatever we have in the future will be built off of today's template, I don't think we'll have a Chinatown in Downtown any time soon. But I do think that the Buford Hwy Corridor will remain largely international during it's revitalization.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:12 PM

1,429 posts, read 842,348 times
There is already a Chinatown.. It's called Pleasant Hill Rd in Duluth. Then you have the Chinatown shopping plaza and food court on New Peachtree Rd in Chamblee (aka Chambodia)

Old 09-10-2017, 07:14 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,046,023 times
So I'm guessing Morrow is Vietnam-Town

Old 09-10-2017, 07:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 842,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
So I'm guessing Morrow is Vietnam-Town
Not sure about Morrow, but Buford Hwy in Chamblee and Doraville is definitely Little Saigon. Lots of Vietnamese businesses all up and down that stretch of the Buford Hwy.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:26 PM

6,303 posts, read 3,373,602 times
Our International District is suburban, and that's unfortunate. The Buford Highway corridor, more or less. In DeKalb and Gwinnett.

Having just visited both Seattle's (great) and Victoria's (which claims to have the oldest Chinatown in North America), the key difference is that both of those are urban, true walkable neighborhoods.

Yes, you can get some great Asian food at a ton of places between Chamblee and Suwanee, but you're really going to want a car for most of it, whether MARTA goes there or not.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:28 PM

23,211 posts, read 17,414,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Our International District is suburban, and that's unfortunate. The Buford Highway corridor, more or less. In DeKalb and Gwinnett.

Having just visited both Seattle's (great) and Victoria's (which claims to have the oldest Chinatown in North America), the key difference is that both of those are urban, true walkable neighborhoods.

Yes, you can get some great Asian food at a ton of places between Chamblee and Suwanee, but you're really going to want a car for most of it, whether MARTA goes there or not.
That's because when Asian immigrants settled in Atlanta, they went straight to the suburbs, while in previous decades they would have settled in urban areas (LA, SF, Seattle, NYC, etc.)

Old 09-10-2017, 08:32 PM

6,303 posts, read 3,373,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That's because when Asian immigrants settled in Atlanta, they went straight to the suburbs, while in previous decades they would have settled in urban areas (LA, SF, Seattle, NYC, etc.)
Yep, that's absolutely correct.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 AM

29,608 posts, read 27,062,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They really had no choice about where they would settle in LA, SF, Seattle, NYC, etc.; they only had one option for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or