Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:12 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,910,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
All the diversity is great as far as raw statistics I guess, but I just wish it was less segregated. Wish we could take everyone of every race and ethnicity, and spread everyone out proportionally across the region geographically. So that every neighborhood, school, hang out place could be a diverse, inclusive mix. Instead of these environments that we tend to concentrate into for whatever reasons, where it's so overwhelmingly one race, that others feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.
It depends on where you are in the metro. In the City, it's like that in a lot of neighborhoods it's like that, but in the neighborhoods that have seen a lot of development in the last decade it's much less so. Also in stores or restaurants or entertainment establishments it's rarely like that in my personal experience. It'll lean one way or another depending on the establishment for sure, but it's not as stark.

In the areas that have seen the most growth in diversity, North Dekalb and most of Gwinnett, it's a veritable cornicopia of different peoples and languages.

We have a ways to go for sure, but it's not as stark here as you make it. If you want to see real segregation in a diverse city, go to New York City. That place can feel like Bull Connors wet dream sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 10:43 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,416,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post
I wish people would stop using the word diversity as a code word for black and/or Hispanic.

For example, Clayton County became way LESS diverse, yet they use it as an example of increasing diversity. Fulton and Marietta City are other examples.
Actually you are wrong.Clayton is more diverse than it ever was.There is a signifigant Asian and Hispanic population.
The only difference is that when it was majority white,the largest minority and main group were blacks and barely 3% other minorities total.
Now if I had to guess,its majority black but many Asians and Hispanics,

Old 06-13-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
What is a snowflake? Folks in the CoA seem to have issues with the increasing white population ... does that mean some snowflakes are black?
I dont think thats true except for some of the older blacks that have seen too much change for them.However the millenial and GenX blacks are more open minded.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Funny enough, Atlanta is technically becoming more diverse as more white people move in. I think the white and Asian population of Atlanta is increasing in percentage as the black percentage continues to drop. I wonder if Atlanta's black population has dropped below 50% yet?
I think it has but the usual areas like the Westside remain to be where the majority of blacks live have a high amount.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:04 AM

10,333 posts, read 11,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Bring on some of that diversity to Southern Cherokee County...
Cherokee County may not necessarily be diversifying as fast as other parts of metro Atlanta but it does appear that increasing diversity is moving its way into Cherokee County as signaled by the demographic changes that the county has experienced over the past 25 years or so.

The minority population in Cherokee County as a whole has climbed significantly from less than 4% in 1990 to 20% as of 2014.

That while the population of minority students enrolled in the Cherokee County school system has climbed to 29%, indicating that county's population seems to be slated to grow even more diverse in coming years.

What is somewhat surprising is that Forsyth County (long the "whitest" county in/near the Atlanta region) appears to be diversifying faster than Cherokee County because of Forsyth's much faster-growing Asian population.

(...Asians made up 1.9% of the population in Cherokee but 9.1% of the population in Forsyth as of 2014.)

In 1980, Cherokee County's population was 97% white while Forsyth County's population was 99% white. But as of 2014, Cherokee County's white population had dropped to 80% while Forsyth County's white population had dropped to just over 76%.

The increasing diversification of Cherokee County seems to be most apparent in the Woodstock, River Ridge and Cherokee high school clusters where minorities make up 31% of Woodstock High School's student population and 29% of both the student populations of River Ridge and Cherokee high schools.

Minorities also make up 25% of the student population of Etowah High School and 20% of the student population at Sequoyah High School.

Those numbers are not insignificant in a county in Cherokee where minorities only made up about 3% or so of the population only 25 years ago.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 06-14-2016 at 02:01 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 01:40 AM

522 posts, read 690,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
if I had kids, I would never want them to attend a school where only 2% of students are of a race other than white (which was the status quo in Forsyth county, apparently).
Wow... have fun with your reverse-racist kids. Would be interesting to see what you're grandchildren look like... LOL

Old 06-14-2016, 01:53 AM

10,333 posts, read 11,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
All the diversity is great as far as raw statistics I guess, but I just wish it was less segregated. Wish we could take everyone of every race and ethnicity, and spread everyone out proportionally across the region geographically. So that every neighborhood, school, hang out place could be a diverse, inclusive mix. Instead of these environments that we tend to concentrate into for whatever reasons, where it's so overwhelmingly one race, that others feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.
I certainly understand your desire to see much less segregation and much more inclusion, but much less segregation and much more inclusion is exactly what we are seeing throughout much (if not most) of the Atlanta metro region.

36 years ago (in 1980), the increasingly ultra-diverse post-suburban urban juggernaut that we now know Gwinnett County to be was an exceedingly homogenous exurban/outer-suburban county with a population that was 96% white.

The fact that racial minorities have gone from being only 4% of Gwinnett's population in 1980 to 60% of Gwinnett's population as of 2014 and that the demographic changes and diversification of the Atlanta region seems to be accelerating is a clear signal that we are seeing a decreasing amount of segregation on a very large scale throughout much (if not most) of the entire Atlanta region.

Because of development patterns that tilt extremely heavily towards the north side of the region (providing much affordable housing in heavily-populated Northside areas like North DeKalb, Cobb, North Fulton and Gwinnett) and because of socioeconomic factors, it would be impossible to distribute racial diversity evenly across the region.

The historical relative overabundance of affordable apartments and single-family homes (and extreme development imbalance towards the Northside) has just simply meant that more people of all races would be attracted to the Northside (particularly the Northern suburbs) than any other part of the region.

While the elevated reputation of the schools and the large clustering of well-paying jobs and employment has meant that areas like North Fulton and Gwinnett (and East Cobb to a lesser extent) would attract more Asian families than most other parts of the region.

Meanwhile, the growing Hispanic population seems to be pretty well represented throughout much of the entire metro region (with the exception of the City of Atlanta and South DeKalb County)....With the largest concentration of Hispanics being in Gwinnett and Hall counties in the northeast part of the Atlanta metro region.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:27 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,978,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
if I had kids, I would never want them to attend a school where only 2% of students are of a race other than white (which was the status quo in Forsyth county, apparently).

If you had kids I assume you would want hem to attend a school with a good reputation for quality education in a safe environment. Diversity should be way down the list of requirements...there are several factors that are much more important. I understand that you would want your children to be exposed the real world, but I doubt many people would go as far as to check the diversity of a school before moving into the district.

Would you desire a school that is representative of the racial diversity of the U.S.? Because I feel sure that there ae several in Atlanta (and most cities) that have something very close.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Actually you are wrong.Clayton is more diverse than it ever was.There is a signifigant Asian and Hispanic population.
The only difference is that when it was majority white,the largest minority and main group were blacks and barely 3% other minorities total.
Now if I had to guess,its majority black but many Asians and Hispanics,

Clayton County is: 66.1% Black, 18.9% White non-Hispanic, 13.7% Latino, 5% Asian, and 7.1% other races. It's actually getting less diverse according to each census, even though the Asian and Latino population are rising. The 2000 census found 56% Black and 38% White with a similar Asian % and about half the Latino%. That sounds a good bit less diverse, even with a growing Asian and Latino population. Such a large majority of one race just always sounds less diverse to me.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It depends on where you are in the metro. In the City, it's like that in a lot of neighborhoods it's like that, but in the neighborhoods that have seen a lot of development in the last decade it's much less so. Also in stores or restaurants or entertainment establishments it's rarely like that in my personal experience. It'll lean one way or another depending on the establishment for sure, but it's not as stark.

In the areas that have seen the most growth in diversity, North Dekalb and most of Gwinnett, it's a veritable cornicopia of different peoples and languages.

We have a ways to go for sure, but it's not as stark here as you make it. If you want to see real segregation in a diverse city, go to New York City. That place can feel like Bull Connors wet dream sometimes.

True...and Chicago is much worse than Atlanta according to statistics. You just don't find that kind of evenly-spread diversity anywhere because many people (no matter what race or ethnicity) like living among people like them. I think the most complete diversity you could hope to find would be one that's representative of the overall diversity found in the U.S. To expect more than that is just unrealistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta