Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 AM
ABM ABM started this thread

339 posts, read 992,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but I drive through Smyrna often, and I would stop to get espresso and ice cream. The two go together naturally for me too (Is that a Seattle thing? I'm a UW alum.) However, I have gotten odd looks and comments from folks down here for enjoying the two together, so I can't really answer your question if the area as a whole is ready. I'm getting more and more excited the more I think about it though .. my daughter loves to go out for ice cream, and I'd love to get a good coffee drink for myself when I take her. Are you thinking about any particular locations in the Symrna/Mableton area?
Appreciate the feedback!

Actually, I've looked at Atlanta Rd. heading East towards 285 as a fairly heavily traveled work commute location....mixed with a decent amount of residential clusters. Even had a nice parcel picked out................then, Starbucks went in down at the West Village (right off 285). That's fine, but still took a bit of wind out of my sails. I'm still looking at Mabelton, as well.

I apprecate your comments regarding coffee and ice cream going well together. To be honest, I didn't necessarily even see them as having to be sold together during the same trip. I'm sure I'd have ice cream lovers (I plan to sell a high grade of hard ice cream), and coffee/espresso lovers, alike, frequenting the shop.

I even have a potential name. Shoot, I'll even risk sharing it here: Java & Ice.

There's an industry conference (Coffee Fest) which travels around the country. One of the stops it periodically hits is Atlanta. When it was here prior to 2007, (I believe 2004), it was kind of half-baked and received a relatively poor turnout. I went to the one - my first - in June 2007. The place was PACKED! While there, I asked around inquiring of the vendors if they thought Atlanta was ready for this/their business. I received an overwhelming, "Yes!" Many of them couldn't believe the increase from the last show in the ATL. At that point, I was sold on the idea that this is a field worth looking into here.

I'll keep plugging away on concepts and eventually put together my full business plan. Naturally, I'm excited about the potential here. Do I honestly believe that Atlanta is ready-for-prime-time? Uhhhh, ye-as?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 06:17 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
The city of Atlanta is already home to some pretty good independent coffee houses - Aurora in L5P and VaHi, Inman Perk in Inman Park and Emory Village. And there are others.

Decatur has Java Monkey. If you really want to do something special take Java Monkey's formula and take it out the outer ring of Atlanta.

And remember, the best business for any coffee house that's going to offer stuff to eat and wifi is students - so locate near a college. They will come in droves to study and use the free wifi.

Turn it into a wine bar at night (and still coffee) like Java Monkey and you're also catering to an evening social crowd.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:34 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
Hi!

I may be losing my corporate job in Atlanta. If that happens, I'm 51 and wouldn't be real excited about remaining in "Corporate America", so........

I've become very interested in the specialty coffee business (i.e. Starbucks, etc.) and would consider opening a privately-owned (non-franchised) operation in the surrounding Atlanta area.

My question to you is: Do you think Atlanta is now ready for competition to Starbucks? In other words, is Atlanta ready for prime-time in the coffee/espresso business?

If so, my initial concept is to begin with a drive-thru operation (there are tons of these in the Seattle area, where I'm originally from), but with a little twist in that I want to offer, both, espresso-based drinks AND ice cream (along with a few pastry-type products) from my drive-thru. I believe that ice cream is a nice compliment to coffee....not to mention the fact that it should sell well during the hot summer months here.

I'd eventually like to own at least two strictly drive-thrus along high traffic, morning commute suburban locations before leveraging towards a full sit-down / drive-thru operation.

Any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, or otherwise?

Thanks!

ABM
So you're getting fired, eh. Whadja do, sneak off with the boss's wife?

And you want to be an espresso king? OK, fair enough. Get up at 3 AM (you DID say you were 51, didn't you? So much for having a life.). Open at 5 AM (or earlier). By the way, get used to being broken into. Keep that smiley face thoughout the day. Then again, who wants their coffee served by an old man? Most people prefer a perky young girl. Oh yeah, watch the workers and the money. Cash sales have a habit of walking away, IF you know what I mean. Also, remember that you most likely not get out of a small business what you have into it when you sell.

So what am I trying to say? Simple, before sinking your life savings into something, consider the down side very carefully. If you can fully accept and live with that aspect of the business, then go for it.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
So you're getting fired, eh. Whadja do, sneak off with the boss's wife?

And you want to be an espresso king? OK, fair enough. Get up at 3 AM (you DID say you were 51, didn't you? So much for having a life.). Open at 5 AM (or earlier). By the way, get used to being broken into. Keep that smiley face thoughout the day. Then again, who wants their coffee served by an old man? Most people prefer a perky young girl. Oh yeah, watch the workers and the money. Cash sales have a habit of walking away, IF you know what I mean. Also, remember that you most likely not get out of a small business what you have into it when you sell.

So what am I trying to say? Simple, before sinking your life savings into something, consider the down side very carefully. If you can fully accept and live with that aspect of the business, then go for it.
I accept.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:11 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Way to burst a guy's dream, Blazer.
Sounds like he's doing his due diligence by conducting a mini focus group on this forum.
Atlanta Road is a great place...that one Starbucks at West Village isn't really in Smyrna proper. Lots of opportunity along Atlanta road towards Midtown West and even in Smyrna Village if you're thinking of doing something there. There's a mediocre gelatto place...but no great coffee.
Like the name, too! Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
I personally understand your dream and if you go forward, I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you let us all know where it is so we can give you some patronage. Having said that, here is a good read about someone in your similar shoes (although in the cafe-riddled NYC):
My coffeehouse nightmare. - By Michael Idov - Slate Magazine

Just a good point of view - I believe dreams are a great thing and something to pursue, but it is also good to have both sides evident before being knee deep. When I read your post, I immediately thought of this story I had read recently. Good luck either way!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Way to burst a guy's dream, Blazer.
Sounds like he's doing his due diligence by conducting a mini focus group on this forum.
Atlanta Road is a great place...that one Starbucks at West Village isn't really in Smyrna proper. Lots of opportunity along Atlanta road towards Midtown West and even in Smyrna Village if you're thinking of doing something there. There's a mediocre gelatto place...but no great coffee.
Like the name, too! Good luck!
Well, sweetie, I'll tell ya...

Going into business for one's self and supporting one's self at age 51 is not an easy thing to do. Nor should it be taken lightly. It's a wonderful thing to live our dreams- but at some point in time reality needs to set in juuuuuuuuuuust a little. But to take a life's savings and all one's retirment savings to plunk it into a coffee shop is worthy of some serious consideration. The odds of succeeding are less than 50%. As such, due dilligence is only part of the preperation.

Now, be a good girl, drink less coffee (it's making you a grump) and learn to laugh a little.

Oh yeah, ABM and I have been best friends for nearly 40 years.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Well, sweetie, I'll tell ya...

Going into business for one's self and supporting one's self at age 51 is not an easy thing to do. Nor should it be taken lightly. It's a wonderful thing to live our dreams- but at some point in time reality needs to set in juuuuuuuuuuust a little. But to take a life's savings and all one's retirment savings to plunk it into a coffee shop is worthy of some serious consideration. The odds of succeeding are less than 50%. As such, due dilligence is only part of the preperation.....
[SIZE=2]
Well, for one, I certainly don't plan on investing my "life savings" into this endeavor.

For starters, I have a very comfortable 401k built up, a good chunk of liquid funds in savings, in addition to some profitable rental property. Also, as I had mentioned, I'll be starting with a drive-thru, as opposed to a sit-down
operation. Consequently, my up-front investment will be relatively low. I'm looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $30,000 to get up and running. As well, I've found a nice lending institution in California that will lend me the entire amount ("unsecured", mind you) at a rate of 7 1/2% simple interest. Not too shabby.

Oh, and regarding that article that was posted? First of all, thanks for sending it, SpaceLord75! Secondly, there's NO freakin' way I'd enter this business with my wife. LOL! ........Not to mention, she already owns a paint-your-own-pottery studio - Art From The Heart - in the Smyrna Market Village, not to mention she just took on a high-end executive administrative position with Coca Cola Enterprises.

It's all good, best friend. It's all good:-)
[/SIZE]

Old 02-18-2008, 09:05 AM

OK, ABM, I didn't realize how wealthy you were.

Now, about there being "no freaking way you'd go into business with your wife", my silence is going to cost you. Big time.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
No problem - hey, and I just remembered that across from my old development (Providence) in Mableton there is a lady who opened a place with coffee and ice cream, called Lillian's. You probably already know about it, and I doubt she would be totally open to sharing insights to a potential competitor, but it wouldn't hurt to ask how she's doing. I know tons of people from Providence and surrounding neighborhoods go there and that she's now competing with a newly opened Starbucks 1/4 mile up Veterans Memorial. I know that she has done a lot of promotion of evening events - jazz, karoake, etc.

My personal opinion, as a coffee-addict, would be that I would totally welcome an alternative to Starbucks. If you could somehow manage to not over-roast the beans (guess they do that for "consistency of taste") and actually provide flavored beans (ie, soaked in oils, not just squirting syrup in the cup) so much the better. I personally do not drink coffee so much at night (that is what beer and wine are for, afterall!), but I think adding the ice cream element would make it open to families and teens, as well as a good date place. Also with that combo you do not kill yourself seasonally, as you can still lure in traffic in both winter and summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta