Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

Well, this is wonderful for the metro area. While many people have considered Clayton County to be "falling apart" the last few years in terms of a growing crime problem, the fact that their public schools may lose accreditation came as a shock to many.

This is only the third time ever - in the U.S. - that a school system has potentially lost accreditation. What does this mean? A massive drop in home resell values, businesses leaving the County. Children not being able to get the HOPE scholarship or go to many colleges... the list goes on.

I'd say it's "interesting" but a more realistic word would be "sad". I also think this answers the frequent posts we get in here as to "should I move to Clayton and how are the schools?"...

Related articles:

11Alive.com - Clayton Schools To Lose Accreditation? (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=111388 - broken link)

11Alive.com - Businesses Brace for Accreditation Loss (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=111429 - broken link)

Added: Realtor: Clayton County School Board Should Quit - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-16-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 08:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
This brings a kinda leftfield question....I live in Houston and have lived in North Carolina. In NC, the schools are run by countywide school districts run by the county itself; here they are more localized and are independent entities from any municipality or county. Are GA's schools like NC's in that respect?

IMO....the countywide schools work well for rural areas, but everyone's better served in larger metropolitan areas if more shots can be called locally....in Wake County, NC (Raleigh) they are busing kids across the county because of overcrowding, especially from schools with lower-income children than higher-end parts with "neighborhood schools." Here, everyone goes to a "neighborhood school" as they think of it.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:01 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
They're county-wide districts, which is why the entire Clayton County district is on the verge of losing accreditation.

I'll bet that they'll pull a rabbit out of their hat and avoid losing the accreditation- there's far too much at stake, and the state won't let it happen. They'll send a bunch of state folks down to fill positions temporarily, enact some new requirements, and "just barely" avoid the loss. Then Sonny and Co. will be able to claim that they saved the day for all of the children of Clayton County. Or maybe praying for accreditation would work????

Old 02-17-2008, 05:23 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
I saw on the news last night, that most of the school board members don't have kids in that district. They are pleading for parents to get involved and take seats on the board, so they have a vested interest.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 AM

857 posts, read 4,877,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Then Sonny and Co. will be able to claim that they saved the day for all of the children of Clayton County. Or maybe praying for accreditation would work????
Now, now Bob... don't be such a sceptic. After all, it IS raining outside!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:43 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Clayton may very well lose its' accrediation.... thought I generally think SACs is a joke (having gone through multiple SACs visits with my kids' schools and system, I can tell you that you can have a marginal educational program and still be accredited. For a non-profit, I believe that they are very motivated by the almighty dollar. (School systems and universities pay for the priviledge of being accredited.)

That said, the complaints about Clayton are blatant and public and SACs couldn't ignore them. Sonny doesn't care, this plays into his party's overall distaste for public education and Clayton isn't exactly home to a lot of his supporters. It will help a bill that was introduced that would provide vouchers for private schools (or public schools for that matter) to students whose schools fail AYP for 7 years or lose accrediation.

Perhaps the entire board will step down, that might make it interesting, but even the head of SACs sort of inferred that might not be enough.

One of the things that has always befuddled me about Clayton was the number of City of Atlanta teachers that are on their board. This is very peculiar to me -- and has always worried me. Teachers often feel powerless to control their own destiny and I have always wondered if their service on the board is motivated by their desire to control something or someone.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:32 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Sonny doesn't care, this plays into his party's overall distaste for public education and Clayton isn't exactly home to a lot of his supporters. It will help a bill that was introduced that would provide vouchers for private schools (or public schools for that matter) to students whose schools fail AYP for 7 years or lose accrediation.
Sorry to take a SLIGHT political turn here, but it very may well be something Sonny Perdue DOES get involved in.

Recent news reports ( such as this one (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=111418 - broken link)) have indicated that Perdue may actually be picked to be McCains running mate for Vice President (yes - really). What's happening in Clayton is more or less local politics, though it will make some national blurbs. If Sonny steps in and does something, imagine that in his portfolio that he can brag about if he runs for office - that "he saved" a school system in Atlanta.. yadda yadda.. Saving schools - exactly a hotbed issue that people want during a political race.

They have until September to fix things. If Perdue is picked as McCain's running mate, I can bet money that he steps in and suddenly "cares" about things that until now he's been cold to (public schools, public transit, etc). Much as I hate to see the goober running for V.P., Clayton County at least might benefit heavily from it if he does.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 AM

48 posts, read 176,371 times
This article is in the AJC today. Many Clayton County parents are talking about relocating or have already relocated to other counties:

Clayton schools' troubles frustrate community

By ERIC STIRGUS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/17/08

Anger. Sadness. Frustration. These were the emotions of many weary Clayton County parents, students and community leaders Sunday as the county's school district deals with its most challenging crisis in memory.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Marka; 02-19-2008 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Sorry to take a SLIGHT political turn here, but it very may well be something Sonny Perdue DOES get involved in.

Recent news reports ( such as this one (http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=111418 - broken link)) have indicated that Perdue may actually be picked to be McCains running mate for Vice President (yes - really). What's happening in Clayton is more or less local politics, though it will make some national blurbs. If Sonny steps in and does something, imagine that in his portfolio that he can brag about if he runs for office - that "he saved" a school system in Atlanta.. yadda yadda.. Saving schools - exactly a hotbed issue that people want during a political race.

They have until September to fix things. If Perdue is picked as McCain's running mate, I can bet money that he steps in and suddenly "cares" about things that until now he's been cold to (public schools, public transit, etc). Much as I hate to see the goober running for V.P., Clayton County at least might benefit heavily from it if he does.
You know that is an interesting perspective... hadn't quite thought of it that way. I'll give you your point.

In the end, though, I am betting it will be Romney or Huckabee as the VP nominee, right now, I bet Romney, though a few days ago I would have thought Huckabee... so what do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: