Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:22 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times

Advertisements

It's has been well over a year now with Clayton County Marta Bus service. These routes have shown Strong ridership on pretty much all legs and the routes are for the most part settled in but where are our Bus Shelters and benches. It's getting kinda Sickening at this point seeing old people, women, children standing, sitting on bricks, shopping carts, turned over trash cans waiting for buses at over 99% of Marta bus stops in Clayton County with no Shelter or at the very least some where to sit. Only 9 Shelters have been built and Clayton has well over 400 bus stops and all 9 of those are on the 196 only. Advertising company issue or not,, "FIX the problem!!!". Where not even going to Talk about Riverdale Rd. Bus stops, "People are sitting on rocks and bus stops are looking like a Third word Country"... Come on people, we can do better than this and please stop making excuses for Marta on this. The crazy part is I cant all the way blame Marta for this but some of the blame needs to go to the Clayton County Commissioners not demanding better for its citizens even if they have to go in their own budgets to build shelters and benches. I know clayton is a poor county but come on people, lets pull together on this and at least act like we care. Now this issue which most people have dismissed has to be the biggest Marta fluke in years but most have over looked it just because " its in, follow me here..." CLAYTON COUNTY!!!" SMH... Advertisers contracts and agreements were not in order when it came to adding Clayton County to the system but something has to be done. Clayton is paying for this system as much as Fulton and DeKalb is but not receiving the same treatment at no fault of it's own. Let's add the Heat to this we have seen the past few weeks and there goes another story. Marta Route 15, 55, 191, 192,193, 194, 195, 196, 800, The Summer just Begun, hang in there and hope some one cares eventually. smh,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:36 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
It's has been well over a year now with Clayton County Marta Bus service. These routes have shown Strong ridership on pretty much all legs and the routes are for the most part settled in but where are our Bus Shelters and benches. It's getting kinda Sickening at this point seeing old people, women, children standing, sitting on bricks, shopping carts, turned over trash cans waiting for buses at over 99% of Marta bus stops in Clayton County with no Shelter or at the very least some where to sit. Only 9 Shelters have been built and Clayton has well over 400 bus stops and all 9 of those are on the 196 only. Advertising company issue or not,, "FIX the problem!!!". Where not even going to Talk about Riverdale Rd. Bus stops, "People are sitting on rocks and bus stops are looking like a Third word Country"... Come on people, we can do better than this and please stop making excuses for Marta on this. The crazy part is I cant all the way blame Marta for this but some of the blame needs to go to the Clayton County Commissioners not demanding better for its citizens even if they have to go in their own budgets to build shelters and benches. I know clayton is a poor county but come on people, lets pull together on this and at least act like we care. Now this issue which most people have dismissed has to be the biggest Marta fluke in years but most have over looked it just because " its in, follow me here..." CLAYTON COUNTY!!!" SMH... Advertisers contracts and agreements were not in order when it came to adding Clayton County to the system but something has to be done. Clayton is paying for this system as much as Fulton and DeKalb is but not receiving the same treatment at no fault of it's own. Let's add the Heat to this we have seen the past few weeks and there goes another story. Marta Route 15, 55, 191, 192,193, 194, 195, 196, 800, The Summer just Begun, hang in there and hope some one cares eventually. smh,,,
Instead of complaining online; roll up your sleeves, attend MARTA board meetings, ask the tough questions and get answers. No one ever got anything done complaining about a problem online.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Instead of complaining online; roll up your sleeves, attend MARTA board meetings, ask the tough questions and get answers. No one ever got anything done complaining about a problem online.
No one is just complaining online, if that was the case half the statements made on these threads would not be made period.. ThIs is about bringing awareness to an issue and helping people, yes Helping people,not to mention doing what's right for the people.. Not shootng someone in the foot online because I'm addressing an issue and keep sweeping it under the rug...You are Assuming what I'm doing or not doing which you don't know.. It's a matter of opinion, in this case, this situation clayton has is fact..

Old 06-27-2016, 04:14 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How do you know they have not already attended a board meeting?maybr they have attended and voiced their complaint to no avail. Complaining online might help this person to spread awareness.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Don't expect too much. I remember the days when bus stops didnt even have schedules. You didnt know the number bus nor where and when they would come. Sorry for bad grammar.im rushing.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Don't expect too much. I remember the days when bus stops didnt even have schedules. You didnt know the number bus nor where and when they would come. Sorry for bad grammar.im rushing.
Thanks DreamerD, it's all about helping and being a voice to the people.. If we don't help each other and our communtity, what are we, what good are we. That's what's wrong with the world today, we don't stop to think what the next man may be going through.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:49 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Every individual must take personal responsibility, and fix their own problems and dilemmas in life. Not wait for others to do so. It's not MARTA's or Clayton County's fault that people don't have cars, or an umbrella apparently. Both of those entities simply collect a sales tax from you, which provides limited revenue given Clayton's smaller population and depressed economy, and with that limited money, they provide a service to the best extent of service that they can afford. They have to make trade-off decisions in order to that. You could ask them to cut a route out, and use that money for more shelters on the other routes. But then what about the people who would have their route cut?

If you're asking for the same service level and everything the same, except with more shelters, then basically you're asking for things for free. Except that money doesn't grow on trees, and MARTA is not in the business of giving people things for free, just like no one else is. You want something, you buy it, or build it yourself. You can't afford it, you work until you can. And in the meantime, don't expect other people to give it to you.

Unless MARTA is taking your county's money and not giving you what you're paying for. But I think the reality is more like, that extra money just doesn't exist. They're likely stretched thin.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:20 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Every individual must take personal responsibility, and fix their own problems and dilemmas in life. Not wait for others to do so. It's not MARTA's or Clayton County's fault that people don't have cars, or an umbrella apparently. Both of those entities simply collect a sales tax from you, which provides limited revenue given Clayton's smaller population and depressed economy, and with that limited money, they provide a service to the best extent of service that they can afford. They have to make trade-off decisions in order to that. You could ask them to cut a route out, and use that money for more shelters on the other routes. But then what about the people who would have their route cut?

If you're asking for the same service level and everything the same, except with more shelters, then basically you're asking for things for free. Except that money doesn't grow on trees, and MARTA is not in the business of giving people things for free, just like no one else is. You want something, you buy it, or build it yourself. You can't afford it, you work until you can. And in the meantime, don't expect other people to give it to you.

Unless MARTA is taking your county's money and not giving you what you're paying for. But I think the reality is more like, that extra money just doesn't exist. They're likely stretched thin.
Actually none of that is true. It was an issue with an advertisement company, not that I care about bus shelters too much, I'm used to standing in the elements in the COA since I was a little kid.

BTW Oobanks they're are shelters in Clayton, just not everywhere.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:46 PM

Okay so I read everyone's comments and thought about them. It's easy to forget (at least for me) that MARTA is unique in that Georgia is one of the only states (not sure if it's the only) that does not provide state funding to a major public transportation service. Another issue is that MARTA, though private, is controlled as if it's a public service by people on a board who aren't even from the areas where MARTA is used. Their money can't be spent how they see fit.

People have to want MARTA to thrive and we aren't even past some of the counties right next to Atlanta not wanting MARTA in their county. How can we expect people from outside of the metro area to want to support MARTA when people inside it don't support it strongly?

Bare minimum, each bus stop needs to have a schedule with a map, times, the number bus, etc. As for bus shelters, I do share your pain O.P. Long story short, I got a car. I gave up on MARTA because I saw that the people in Georgia won't be changing for a long time and so MARTA will be inadequate for a long time. I know people who used to use MARTA for everything and when they got a car, they never looked back.

I don't know your situation and so I can't tell you to go get a car but depending on MARTA for me was a nightmare. And by the way, someone posted something about umbrellas and not using one. They don't protect you from all rain. When there is a little wind, you can get soaked no matter how the umbrella covers your head. I speak from experience. Another reason I knew I had to get a car and not use MARTA forever.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:14 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Ideally the state level would be funding this stuff, yes. But, you know, welcome to Geo'gia.

And yeah, ideally there should be shelters at every stop. But that is not free. Costs money. Who's paying for it?

And even if you do get a shelter though, someone else is probably going to be sitting in it most of the time. So, you're still going to be sitting on a rock.

Bottom line here, save for a cheap car. Even the ugliest car in the world is better than waiting for the bus in the rain and mud and summer heat and humidity. Survive on ramen noodles until you've saved up the cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta