Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 04:52 PM

109 posts, read 329,332 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, how are you? I have a few questions about painting. I want to paint over floor modelings that someone painted. The modeling’s have that antique style look, which is far from my taste. I would like prime and paint them white.

What type of primer and paint do I use? Also, the mantel above the fireplace is also painted with that antique nonsense. How do I correct that? I want the mantel to have a nice shine to it. What do you recommend for the floor modelings and the mantel?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
What do you mean by "that antique nonsense"? Are the pieces stained (where the woodgrain shows through) or are they painted? Do you know how old the paint is? I ask because it may be oil-based paint and latex won't take to it very well without the proper primer.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:21 PM

109 posts, read 329,332 times
I'm not too sure if the floor modelings and mantel are stained. It looks like they were painted. I don't think the woodgrain shows through, so they should be painted.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Do you know, or can you tell if the floor has any kind of clear finish on it? Regardless of material used for "color", if the floor has some kind of top coat finish- thats going to need a good screening, and possibly sanding in order for the new finish to adhere. Then you can apply your finish.
If you want to make the job as small as possible- after prepping, use two coats of epoxy paint and you're done. No priming, no top coat finishes.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher30004 View Post
Hey everyone, how are you? I have a few questions about painting. I want to paint over floor modelings that someone painted. The modeling’s have that antique style look, which is far from my taste. I would like prime and paint them white.
When you say Floor modeling what exactly are you refering to? Are you talking about something actually ON the floor, or do you mean baseboard molding? It would make a difference if it going to be walked on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: