Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 5,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Based on your desire for a combination of suburban and urban, your budget and your occasional commute to the airport and to Sandy Springs, I would suggest Downtown Marietta, where my wife and I live. It's a fantastic blend of suburban and urban, with several dozen shops and restaurants several bars and two theaters clustered around the historic Square, plus the main County library a few blocks away. Activities abound on the Square, with a weekly farmer's market (twice per week during the summer), frequent festivals, concerts and so on. It has a great small town vibe... My wife and I have lived there for under two years but are already on a first name basis with many of the business owners and servers in the various restaurants, and we frequently run into friends and neighbors during our visits up there several times per week.

Your budget would allow for a very nice older (anywhere from the early 1900s to the last decade or so) home in the very historic areas north and west of the Square, some in Craftsman style, and would also allow you to purchase new construction within walking distance just southeast of the Square, where both Brock Built (Manget neighborhood) and John Wieland (Meeting Park neighborhood) are building. Meeting Park's homes are largely in a traditional/Charleston/Savannah style, while most of the newer construction at Manget is in a Craftsman style, with a few homes roughly approximating a Tudor style thrown in for good measure. Both developments feature homes on very small lots, and Manget, especially, has significant amounts of well-landscaped community green space within the neighborhood. These areas, in particular, are quite diverse, both ethnically and economically, as they're still in transition.

For parks, you have quite a few city and county parks, some with tennis courts and sports fields, close by, plus the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is beautiful, heavily forested, full of interesting scenery, history and challenging hiking opportunities, and only a few minutes away from the Square.

I commute daily between Downtown Marietta and the airport, and it typically takes me between 35 and 45 minutes each way. Getting to/from the Perimeter area would probably take you around 30-35 minutes, and you have a few back road options if you prefer to avoid the interstate. For weekend entertainment, you're about 15-20 minutes from Midtown via I-75.

Near Downtown Decatur would be another very good option, but it's much more expensive and so you won't get near as much house for your money. It's on MARTA, which might be a plus, but it won't make your commute to the airport or Perimeter any faster (though it might be less stressful) than what you'd experience from Marietta, and driving times from Decatur would be similar or perhaps even a bit longer. My wife and I went over to Decatur this weekend and enjoyed ourselves, but apart from MARTA, Marietta Square's offerings are increasingly similar, and if you don't need the excellent Decatur City school system, I can't see paying the premium that comes with it.

Sandy Springs or Dunwoody would give you the best commute to your office and pretty direct MARTA access to the airport (though you'd almost certainly have to drive to a station from your house), but despite their MARTA access, they are both decidedly suburban in nature (though very pleasant), with nothing in the way of an historic town square. Sandy Springs is developing something along those lines on Roswell Road, but it still has several years to going and even when complete will likely still have a suburban feel.

I am sure there are other good options, but these are the ones that come to my mind, at least. Let me know if you have questions!
Thank you so much for your guidance. Downtown Marietta sounds like a great option. I'm embarrassed to admit that although I lived in the metro area for more than a decade I can't say that I recall spending any time in that area. I will be definitely be researching further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekatie_atl View Post
Thank you so much for your guidance. Downtown Marietta sounds like a great option. I'm embarrassed to admit that although I lived in the metro area for more than a decade I can't say that I recall spending any time in that area. I will be definitely be researching further.
You're most welcome! My wife is from Jacksonville, to boot, and I am from St. Pete, so I am happy to help a fellow Floridian. Let us know if you have any questions at all!

Old 07-06-2016, 06:56 AM

16 posts, read 22,686 times
I would look in Norcross. It's kind of like country in the city. Lots of renovation and home upgrading going on there. Reminds me of Brookhaven in its early development. Good access to the city and laid back lifestyle. Use the Norcross Welcome Center for your research.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 AM

1 posts, read 603 times
Can I please ask why you are moving back? I'm looking at relocating to Jacksonville from Chamblee, GA.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 AM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
Another area to consider may be unincorporated Dekalb, Oak Grove area just inside 285/85. Large lots and housing within the OP's budget, 20 minutes to airport.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 5,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaem79 View Post
Can I please ask why you are moving back? I'm looking at relocating to Jacksonville from Chamblee, GA.
Honestly it's a bit complicated but in a nutshell we believe there is a better opportunity set for our oldest daughter who is a single parent and needs to live near or with us for support. While my youngest daughter may not settle in Atlanta permanently after college the chances are much greater than they would be in Jax, and that's a plus for me. Additionally, I travel a good deal and the accessibility to direct flights is a huge benefit.

Jacksonville is our hometown and we love it, but it is not a Mecca for young professionals or urban living; however if you're content with a laid back lifestyle, natural beauty, and a low cost of living I think you may just really enjoy it.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:52 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Katie

What will your daughter's price range be? That may very well play a role in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta