U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,535,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthejam View Post
Damn, educators are for sure screwed in Atlanta!

I live very well as a public school teacher...I have been teaching for 15 years and my spouse has been teaching for 20. We don't live in luxury but we have a nice home and both drive newer cars and we travel as much as possible. Our combined income is just over $100K, so I'm not sure what you imagine educators make these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 06:34 PM

1,268 posts, read 628,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I live very well as a public school teacher...I have been teaching for 15 years and my spouse has been teaching for 20. We don't live in luxury but we have a nice home and both drive newer cars and we travel as much as possible. Our combined income is just over $100K, so I'm not sure what you imagine educators make these days.

Well, public school teachers with 15-20 years experience make 80-100k or more EACH in many northeastern cities, including places with comparable cost of living.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:27 PM

116 posts, read 73,986 times
My wife and I currently make 100k and we get by fine. We live frugally though and live within our means. I would say if we had 150k household income we would feel pretty happy. So in my opinion 75k + is a 'good' individual salary.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Well, public school teachers with 15-20 years experience make 80-100k or more EACH in many northeastern cities, including places with comparable cost of living.

Which Northeastern city has a comparable COL to Atlanta? I've never heard that one...and that wasn't the point of my statement. It was in response to someone who said that educators in Atlanta are screwed when it comes to living comfortably and that isn't true at all. Every Metro Atlanta school system pays starting teachers over $40,000/year with good enough increases to be making a more comfortable salary in 10 years or so. That's not bad for a 22 year-old just out of college, especially if he/she is in a two-income household, but if not it's still good enough to live an above-average lifestyle.

I think some people have the idea that we are paid by the hour (if only) or make something around minimum wage. Teachers go into the profession knowing that we are not going to be wealthy from teaching, but we do make enough to live comfortably. It's a common misconception to believe otherwise.

**I just looked up starting salary for a basic first-year teacher with a four-year degree in the School District of Philadelphia...$42,096/year. Just for reference in an urban Northeastern school district. Atlanta is doing pretty well there.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Which Northeastern city has a comparable COL to Atlanta? I've never heard that one...and that wasn't the point of my statement. It was in response to someone who said that educators in Atlanta are screwed when it comes to living comfortably and that isn't true at all. Every Metro Atlanta school system pays starting teachers over $40,000/year with good enough increases to be making a more comfortable salary in 10 years or so. That's not bad for a 22 year-old just out of college, especially if he/she is in a two-income household, but if not it's still good enough to live an above-average lifestyle.

I think some people have the idea that we are paid by the hour (if only) or make something around minimum wage. Teachers go into the profession knowing that we are not going to be wealthy from teaching, but we do make enough to live comfortably. It's a common misconception to believe otherwise.

**I just looked up starting salary for a basic first-year teacher with a four-year degree in the School District of Philadelphia...$42,096/year. Just for reference in an urban Northeastern school district. Atlanta is doing pretty well there.
I was talking about Connecticut, new Jersey, and new York. Salaries there start in the 60 to 70k range and top out over 100k. And yes, many cities are expensive there but not all of them, I used to live in Connecticut and outside of the NYC commuter suburbs the COL is similar to Atlanta, and homes might even be somewhat cheaper.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I was talking about Connecticut, new Jersey, and new York. Salaries there start in the 60 to 70k range and top out over 100k. And yes, many cities are expensive there but not all of them, I used to live in Connecticut and outside of the NYC commuter suburbs the COL is similar to Atlanta, and homes might even be somewhat cheaper.

Starting teacher salary with a bachelor's in Fairfield County CT is $42,450...in NYC the same position starts at $54,411...in Hudson County NJ it is $53,584. Where are you getting your information? I suspect you are referring to average or median salaries or maybe you're making it up, but each public school system publishes a salary schedule so it's easy to find. Starting salaries there are a bit higher but are not the 60-70K that you are claiming and the slight difference is due to COL.

I'm not going to try to prove that the COL is higher in most areas of the Northeast, but I know property taxes are much higher and the average cost of a home/average rent is a good bit higher as well...so that leads to the COL being higher. Metro Atlanta's COL has risen in recent years and is one of the costliest cities in the South, but it's still a good bit lower than almost any Northeastern metro.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Starting teacher salary with a bachelor's in Fairfield County CT is $42,450...in NYC the same position starts at $54,411...in Hudson County NJ it is $53,584. Where are you getting your information? I suspect you are referring to average or median salaries or maybe you're making it up, but each public school system publishes a salary schedule so it's easy to find. Starting salaries there are a bit higher but are not the 60-70K that you are claiming and the slight difference is due to COL.

I'm not going to try to prove that the COL is higher in most areas of the Northeast, but I know property taxes are much higher and the average cost of a home/average rent is a good bit higher as well...so that leads to the COL being higher. Metro Atlanta's COL has risen in recent years and is one of the costliest cities in the South, but it's still a good bit lower than almost any Northeastern metro.
It doesn't work that way in the north. School districts are city based, not county based. You're seeing the county basis and not the city supplement.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
It doesn't work that way in the north. School districts are city based, not county based. You're seeing the county basis and not the city supplement.

That isn't true...school salaries are paid by the state with SYSTEM supplements. 2015 beginning teacher salary in NJ - the highest in the nation - is $48,631; in CT it's $42,924; in NY it's $43,839. http://www.teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state/ The numbers I posted earlier included the local supplement.

It works the same way in the South...each system (city or county) can offer a supplement to the state salary, so all urban/suburban systems pay higher than rural systems.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 07-09-2016 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 03:57 PM
gam

14 posts, read 13,936 times
where are these jobs not ATL???????

Old 07-10-2016, 04:04 PM

28,101 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Any family that's dragging in $100K ought to be proud of themselves!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or