U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 05:55 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,535,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Any family that's dragging in $100K ought to be proud of themselves!

Two of the underpaid teachers no less.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 05:59 PM

28,104 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Two of the underpaid teachers no less.
My hat is off to both of you, Joe. Your students are lucky to have you.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:41 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,645,698 times
I'm on Team 60K if you live alone. You will not be going on lavish excursions every weekend, but you can rent comfortably in a nice area. I would not hold out too much hope for buying unless you're flexible on location.

I have seen single parents get by on less but just getting by isn't comfortable.

I think 100K would work with two adults and children as long as they did not send the kids to private school.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I'm on Team 60K if you live alone. You will not be going on lavish excursions every weekend, but you can rent comfortably in a nice area. I would not hold out too much hope for buying unless you're flexible on location.

I have seen single parents get by on less but just getting by isn't comfortable.

I think 100K would work with two adults and children as long as they did not send the kids to private school.

You can still get a nice house ITP for just over $100,000 if you're willing to bet on a transitional neighborhood. Places like East Point or College Park just outside of the city but ITP still have great bargains, as well as pretty much anywhere on the south side of the city. There are still some awesome neighborhoods with nice homes in those areas that aren't in the ghetto, but many people have stigmatized that entire side of town that way.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:39 PM

14,375 posts, read 7,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

I agree with this. I'm cheap however and can live by myself on probably $45k in Atlanta and still be comfortable, but I think $50-$60k is enough for people to live comfortably. Due to me growing up rather poor, I still kind of feel $50-$60k is "rich" lol. My mom when I graduated high school made a little over $17k per year.

For a family IMO $80-$100k is definitely do-able and very comfortable to live on in metro Atlanta unless they have 3 or more kids and spend a lot of money on other expensive stuff.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:54 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,287,940 times
A single person can get a safe one bedroom apartment for $750 per bank

Old 07-15-2016, 05:18 PM

84 posts, read 66,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I live very well as a public school teacher...I have been teaching for 15 years and my spouse has been teaching for 20. We don't live in luxury but we have a nice home and both drive newer cars and we travel as much as possible. Our combined income is just over $100K, so I'm not sure what you imagine educators make these days.
As one educator to another, chill out. There is a word called sarcasm. This post by the OP is bogus and full of it! I could see if they put this in the San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, NYC, etc threads, but they put it in the Atlanta threads lol! Totally laughable. I had to give an eye roll on this!

Last edited by CalmJamie; 07-15-2016 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
A single person can get a safe one bedroom apartment for $750 per bank
Yeah, but odds are the area might be something to consider to get that cost these days - unfortunately. It will probably be in an area that isn't favorable.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. I'm cheap however and can live by myself on probably $45k in Atlanta and still be comfortable, but I think $50-$60k is enough for people to live comfortably. Due to me growing up rather poor, I still kind of feel $50-$60k is "rich" lol. My mom when I graduated high school made a little over $17k per year.

For a family IMO $80-$100k is definitely do-able and very comfortable to live on in metro Atlanta unless they have 3 or more kids and spend a lot of money on other expensive stuff.
I think $45k - $50k is definitely comfortable to live on in the metro as a single individual. However, I think I'd rather take my housing OTP with that income vs. ITP. It will be stretched further on essentials.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthejam View Post
As one educator to another, chill out. There is a word called sarcasm. This post by the OP is bogus and full of it! I could see if they put this in the San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, NYC, etc threads, but they put it in the Atlanta threads lol! Totally laughable. I had to give an eye roll on this!

Chill out? I just made a comment much as you did. I'm chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or