Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 05:09 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post

Click here for fullsize: https://oxblue.com/pro/load_jpg/2016...fecbcf5d/4.jpg

I wonder will they finish in time for 2017?
See those little flags on the other side of the light poles, on what appears to be on the right field side, just to the left of the "SunTrust Park" scoreboard? I think those are for all the team's division/league/World Series championships. Unlike at the Ted, there is actually room for a lot more flags!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 05:10 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
How is that parking deck any worse than the acres of surface parking lots adjacent to Turner Field as seen here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-84.3878432

Many on this blog complain about surface lots and have said in other developments that a multi-level garage would be better (if parking is to be provided) - Well here it is.....

Absolutely agree although I am hoping that the garages will be softened by the planting of trees and other landscape once complete.

I drive by several times per week and the garages don't look that bad from street level although I am getting a bit construction and concrete fatigued at this point.

I have faith the finished product will be nice!

Old 07-13-2016, 05:11 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
How is that parking deck any worse than the acres of surface parking lots adjacent to Turner Field as seen here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...!4d-84.3878432

Going back to Turner Field. There have been surface parking lots along Capitol Avenue since 1965 (when the original Atlanta Fulton County Stadium was built) and I have never heard of an effort to remove them or build any garages. If the Braves had not made the decision to move to Cobb County, I can guarantee you that those lots would have continued and all of those complaining would not have said a peep about all of that asphalt - they were just happy to have the Braves nearby.

Now that the Braves are moving, the parking will take a lot less land and many are still complaining.
I think you're right - if the Braves stayed, those lots would have remained surface lots. And those surface lots really are horrible. That is however completely the Braves fault. The city/county owned that land, and the Braves wanted nothing to do with the area being redeveloped if they weren't going to directly profit from it. I know someone who attempted to buy and renovate one of the boarded up buildings on Georgia Ave to turn into a restaurant, and he said that the Braves "mafia" prevented it from happening. Since they couldn't have the property outside the stadium, they did everything they could to make sure things could only be bought inside the stadium. However, since the Braves are moving, and the area is being redeveloped into something a million times better than we could have ever hoped for with the Braves in control, that is neither here nor there. Cobb County can have them, and all of the scandal coming along with them as they go through the move.

It's a win-win in my book - the Braves are getting all of the profit from everything outside the stadium, the county gave their blessing, and the Turner Field area is going to be redeveloped to once again become a thriving urban area. For me, it helps that I basically NEVER have a reason to go to that part of town and be stuck in the traffic that is already there, and will only get worse.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:15 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Almost certainly (no, on second thought, absolutely) better than here:

https://goo.gl/maps/eBVUuQUpFMS2
If I'm not mistaken, that streetview is actually a street below ground level. It's basically in the Gulch. So that is the original street level for Atlanta, while now all of the activity happens one story up, which is why you can see the park, MARTA entrance/exit, and streets to Centennial area are all one story above the image you posted. So, you're right - there will be no street level activity there, but it's not actually the area there should be activity on that side of the stadium. I'd imagine that's more of an underground service road.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Jesus that parking deck...gross
Well, until they can come up with some alternative solution for tens of thousands of people to get to the stadium, cars it is. So you better have a place to put them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
If I'm not mistaken, that streetview is actually a street below ground level. It's basically in the Gulch. So that is the original street level for Atlanta, while now all of the activity happens one story up, which is why you can see the park, MARTA entrance/exit, and streets to Centennial area are all one story above the image you posted. So, you're right - there will be no street level activity there, but it's not actually the area there should be activity on that side of the stadium. I'd imagine that's more of an underground service road.
The only purpose of Magnum Street is to access the Red parking deck for the GWCC, the loading docks of the Georgia Dome, an the security entrance of the GWCC. There's nothing else back there.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:32 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Have Cobb Co. Voted Tim out of office yet?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:41 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Thanks for the photo. Lots of progress.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:

Many on this blog complain about surface lots and have said in other developments that a multi-level garage would be better (if parking is to be provided) - Well here it is.

Likewise, there have been many doomsday Armageddon predictions for SunTrust Park because of the lack of parking. Now, we see a multi-level garage being constructed, one of several.

In fact, the Atlanta Braves website state that there will be 6,000 parking spaces on the property: Parking | Atlanta Braves If you take into consideration, an average of 3 people per car, about half of the 40,000 seats can be accommodated on site. Often out of town groups come to the games in buses so that gets some of the crowd, too. The Cobb Galleria has a large garage which is available and will probably be available on most weekends. (During the week, I doubt if the Braves will sell out many games - their low ticket sales are the reason that Sun Trust Park will have 10,000 fewer seats.)

Going back to Turner Field. There have been surface parking lots along Capitol Avenue since 1965 (when the original Atlanta Fulton County Stadium was built) and I have never heard of an effort to remove them or build any garages. If the Braves had not made the decision to move to Cobb County, I can guarantee you that those lots would have continued and all of those complaining would not have said a peep about all of that asphalt - they were just happy to have the Braves nearby.

Now that the Braves are moving, the parking will take a lot less land and many are still complaining.
My comment was not a complaint, but more of a loss opportunity for Liberty Media to wrap that side of the garage in money-generating development.
As far as your parking space count, how many of those are for the residents of Battery Atlanta and how many are for STP employees?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Have Cobb Co. Voted Tim out of office yet?
Runoff election with early voting going on now - will know July 28th

Old 07-14-2016, 08:16 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post
You can't compare acres of surface lots to 15-20 announced bars, high-level chef restaurants, shops and condos. The effect this will have on that area remains to be seen but having that many entertainment options right there gets it off to a much better start than the Turner Field area.
Sure I can. When Atlanta stadium first opened it had dozens of businesses within a block or two of the stadium.

Want to see what it looks like after decades of being next to stadiums? The good news is, these old buildings will see use again as retail, restaurants, and bars after the Braves leave: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7368...7i13312!8i6656

Hey, at least we can look forward to some great murals on abandoned buildings next to STP in a few decades!

Don't get me wrong, trying to do a walkable mixed-use node is a great idea. But it is still not enough to off-set the damage done by the stadium. Regular businesses just cannot function off of 80 days of business a year. The positives from "the battery" are no better than the positives that will come from the development happening at 905 Memorial. And 905 Memorial won't have the negatives of the stadium.

Last edited by jsvh; 07-14-2016 at 08:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta